Disability help and advice

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Re: Disability help and advice

Postby Ann_Field » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Snowleopard wrote:I have had to claim Incapacity Benefit for quite a while now. I went back to work four times but each time my problems caused me to go back off sick. I ended up having to finish work and I had a really good career. At the moment it is unlikely that I can return to work just yet. I keep waiting for things to improve and go back to doing something, but things seem to be getting worse. I am now waiting to have an MRI scan. My hubby thinks I should claim something else but I keep thinking I am not fully disabled so should not claim, but on the other hand this Incapacity Benefit doesn't entitle you to get any help, ie prescriptions, dental treatment etc.

If you and your husband are on a low income then you need to get form HC1 to apply for free prescriptions, dental treatment, help with glasses. I believe you can pick this form up from chemist shops or phone the DS and they should send you one. Being on IB doesn't automatically allow you to receive these as a matter of course.
Ann_Field
New In Town

Postby somthinfishie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Snowleopard wrote:I have had to claim Incapacity Benefit for quite a while now. I went back to work four times but each time my problems caused me to go back off sick. I ended up having to finish work and I had a really good career. At the moment it is unlikely that I can return to work just yet. I keep waiting for things to improve and go back to doing something, but things seem to be getting worse. I am now waiting to have an MRI scan. My hubby thinks I should claim something else but I keep thinking I am not fully disabled so should not claim, but on the other hand this Incapacity Benefit doesn't entitle you to get any help, ie prescriptions, dental treatment etc.

Hi Snowleopard

If you are having ongoing mobility problems,then you should be entitled to DLA mobility componant,even if you are able to return to work in the future,DLA will still be paid,it is for help in getting around and is not an income based benifit.xx~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby Snowleopard » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:54 pm

I think that once you start filling forms in though to claim for disability they want you to attend for a medical and I don't think I could face that at the moment. I will wait and see what the MRI scan says first and then I will know if there is something they can do to help my condition.

The thing is though if you try to find work, people want someone that is fit and reliable. Attending an interview would be a nightmare as I have lost my confidence. The thought of having to explain about my health and what I have been doing for the past couple of years just filled me with dread. Some days I don't feel too bad but a short while later I can feel absolutely awful. This is what puts me off feeling confident about travelling to work and holding down a job. Even getting to work would be a challenge, people can't see if you're in pain, you look alright, they just push and shove you, slam doors in your face. I hope I don't sound like I am moaning or making excuses but these are the things that are always going around in my head.

I do miss being at work though and miss all my work friends and being included in social functions, Christmas Do's, being part of the work gossip and such like. Gosh, I am having a whinge today. It's that nasty woman at Pets World that has set me off on a downer. Fancy calling me a stupid b i t c h in the middle of a crowded shop, when everybody is looking. :evil:
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby somthinfishie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Snowleopard.

Being in pain is so frustrating that it can make everything else we do harder before we even start.

As for going back to work,you are right,I`ve attended interview after interview ,no employer wants me,I even done retraining because I can`t go back to nursing.

My typing is very slow,I need regular breaks for medication and also fidget a lot trying to be comfortable, well I would have retired in 2 years anyway.It`s their loss :wink:

Don`t ever worry about letting you feelings out,it does no good at all to keep things bottled up,and there is always some-one that understands what you are going through.xx~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby rose238 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:48 am

Important!!
Whenever you fill in claim forms for whatever, please make sure you put an answer in EVERY BOX even if you think you have already given the information. Just keep on repeating your answers because a social worker explained to me that they give so many points for each answer and if you get x number of points then you get the benefit. Again, appeal if you are turned down.
LOVE HEALS EVERYONE --- both those who receive it
and those who give it.
{Anthony de Mello}
rose238
New In Town

Postby Badboy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:32 am

I RECEIVE DLA AND SDA
Badboy
First Time Offender

Previous

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum