TURMERIC for IBS

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

TURMERIC for IBS

Postby MollFlanders » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience of using Turmeric for the relief of IBS, I will try anything!
'The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.' Terry Pratchett
MollFlanders
New In Town

Re: TURMERIC for IBS

Postby Snowleopard » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:30 pm

Found this information

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/turmeric/

Looks like it could be useful as has anti inflammatory properties but high doses or long term use may cause indigestion problems.

I've been a lot better since I was told not to eat any grains as I could not digest them properly. I eat Rice crispies instead of other cereals. I only eat a little bit of white bread now instead of wholemeal. I don't eat Hob Nobs or digestives biscuits. I used to try and eat what I thought was healthy but ended up creased up with pain all the time. Now I am a lot better and have put some weight back on. I basically avoid anything that contains whole grains and the difference is great.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby MollFlanders » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Snowleopard wrote:Found this information

Looks like it could be useful as has anti inflammatory properties but high doses or long term use may cause indigestion problems.

I've been a lot better since I was told not to eat any grains as I could not digest them properly. I eat Rice crispies instead of other cereals. I only eat a little bit of white bread now instead of wholemeal. I don't eat Hob Nobs or digestives biscuits. I used to try and eat what I thought was healthy but ended up creased up with pain all the time. Now I am a lot better and have put some weight back on. I basically avoid anything that contains whole grains and the difference is great.

Thanks for that, I am willing to try anything and will have a go at giving up grains, I have already given up all Dairy products and I don't know why as I still have dreadful cramps and all the other associated horrid things.
'The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.' Terry Pratchett
MollFlanders
New In Town

Postby Snowleopard » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Mollflanders - If you are giving up dairy products, please ensure you are taking a calcium and vitamin D supplement. I wasn't given this advice and I couldn't tolerate dairy, I ended up with osteoporosis, even though I am still young. I got referred eventually to a gastroenterologist, who has helped. It does take time for things to settle, so don't expect things to get better overnight. I know it is a very upsetting condition and can make you feel really weak and washed out. It is hard to make plans, travelling is a nightmare and going out for a meal or a drink just seems impossible when everything is flared up. But things will get better. You will have to be vigilant with what you eat and if you know a certain food upsets you then don't risk eating it. All my life I ate mushrooms and then realised that they were making me worse as well. Have you seen a doctor about all this? There are some medications which can be prescribed, anti-spasmodics, there are different types you can take before meals which do help. Eventually things do settle down, but you will recognise when you have upset the balance.

I don't know if you have seen a doctor, if not you should as the doctor will take a history of your symtoms and may need to do tests - blood tests, perhaps even have an endoscope to see if everything is alright. Self medication and diagnosis is never a good idea if symptoms persist, you should always get checked out. Hope you feel better soon.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby Elemental » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:39 pm

No sorry, but peppermint is very good!
Let that be a lesson to one and to all, a person is a person, no matter how small.
Elemental
On Parole

Postby quark1 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:36 pm

You should firstly try Aloe Vera juice (a capful every morning..either just on its own or, as I do, with warm water and a little sugar or honey). The juice is very soothing and cleansing throughout the whole digestive tract.
Also, as others have said, avoid wheat! Better still, cut it right out for a few weeks completely. That means no bread, no pasta, no pies, biscuits, cereal, etc (anything containing flour). Instead of pasta, have rice or potatoes.
You can get Aloe Vera juice from a health shop, or Holland and Barratts, or Boots. In Boots it is 5.99, but you only need a capful a day, so it will last a couple of weeks. It will reduce the inflamation in the stomach, intestines and colon. I do not have IBS but I always have the Aloe Vera every morning as it makes me feel 'clean' on the inside!!
quark1
On Parole

Postby R_Murats Glasses » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Elemental wrote:No sorry, but peppermint is very good!

And also so is extra strong mints to control IBS. I cannot remember what tablets i had to control my IBS, but it was 3-4 times a day i belive, but never seemed to work. The mints seemed to, but now i just get on with it. Some days is good, others not.
R_Murats Glasses
Suspect

Postby MollFlanders » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the advice and also the pm's. I have been away for a few days and am only now catching up with it all. I have taken onboard the Aloe Juice idea and also the Colpermin Peppermint. Read a lot about turmeric but decided it all sounded a bit like an irritant. Am actually having a good week IBS wise so long may it last. Thanks again, Moll.
MollFlanders
New In Town

Postby Cas » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:48 am

Snowleopard wrote:Found this information

I have Dicerticulitis and cannot eat the things you mention had it 12 months now life is hard but battle on.

we have 50-50 bread here in the Uk half white half brown, went a year without a bacon sandwhich not fussy on brown bread, till was told from chemist about this bread. I lost 3 stone had a kideny operation that failed then 2 weeks later got this ruddy thing, dont eat out, dont eat same as hubbie, he my carer so extra food cost a fortune I have 2 milk drinks a day with added stuff put my weight back on in 4 months,
middle aged spread has gone from tummy I can see me toes :lol: :lol:

hard when we go away have totell chef about seeds/nuts, grains salad is boring without cumcumber and tomatoes, jacket potatoes you cannot eat the skin and thats the tasty part.

if anyone any advice on this illness would be glad of some help
Cas

Justice for Madeleine

Click here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/thevoiceformadeleine

Please sign the above................. Thank you

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Cuddle Cat.
(")_(")
Cas
Been Cautioned

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum