hard skin/flaking on heels

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

hard skin/flaking on heels

Postby newperson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:03 am

i dont wear shoes much just flip flops and sandals - is this why i get so much hard skin on my heels - trying everything and not shifting

:(

might take the hand sander to them
If you can't be a good example - then you will just have to be a horrible warning
newperson
Mafia Boss

Re: hard skin/flaking on heels

Postby Snowleopard » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Buy a big tub of Vaseline. Every morning after washing your feet and every night dollop a load on and massage it all over your feet, then put a clean sock on over them. After a fortnight your feet will be as smooth as a babies bum.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby Torti » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:49 am

The best callous removal treatment I've found is three to four days walking barefoot on the beach in ocean water. The callouses will just peel off, leaving your feet smooth.

Prevent them from coming back with a good foot moisturizer, like Vaseline.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby quark1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:00 pm

Newperson :) I will tell you my very best beauty secret (though I wouldn't tell it to 'just anyone'!! :wink: )

Pure Coconut Oil!! (not to be confused with 'cocoa butter')

I use pure coconut oil to moisturise my face, body, feet...all over! I also use it as a hair conditioner (rub some in, wait a few hours (or overnight) and then shampoo as normal!). I put a dollop in my bath water.

I also use the same coconut oil to spread on my sandwiches instread of butter, fry eggs in, fry potatoes in etc. You can use it for baking (though I don't 'bake' now!!).

So, one jar covers everything!!

I only use oil that has been extracted from the coconuts WITHOUT using any heat! That is the purest. (£14.99 per 500ml). (no refining, non-hydrogenated, cold processed, no additives, no deodorising, no bleaching, no heat, no preservatives).

You can get cheaper coconut oil, but that has usually been extracted using heat (to speed up the process), and those oils are still very good, and edible, but I feel that the natural goodness may be depleted using the heat.

I would never put anything on my skin that I could not eat!! Skin absorbs anything, so any chemicals you put on your skin go straight into your system.

Rub some coconut oil on your hard skin, and it will disappear within days! And it has a lovely mild coconut scent too!!

Not easy to get in the UK unless you have a very good independent health shop near (not holland and barratt). So I buy mine on-line from the Philipines! Free delivery, usually within 2 days!

pm me if you want name of my 'supplier' :lol:

And no! I am NOT anything to do with coconut oil selling!! Just that since I discovered this beauty secret I am delighted that I no longer have to buy those over-priced mousturisers and conditioners!

The Oil solidifies below a certain temperature, and looks like lard. If the weather is warm it melts to become as clear as water, but will then solidify if it goes colder. And it doesn't go 'off' no matter how many times it solidifies and melts! No need to keep in fridge (like butter). I have a jar in bathroom and a jar in kitchen at all times!

Phew! going back to Maddie thread now!!
quark1
On Parole

Postby John » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:41 pm

quark1 wrote:Newperson :) I will tell you my very best beauty secret (though I wouldn't tell it to 'just anyone'!! :wink: )

Do you smell of coconut? :lol: :lol: :lol: ....Why not Holland & Barrat....I thought they did pretty much everything like that :?
John
Suspect

Postby MoeSzyslak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:29 am

Have you tried a pumice stone? Works for me. :)
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby quark1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 am

John wrote:
quark1 wrote:Newperson :) I will tell you my very best beauty secret (though I wouldn't tell it to 'just anyone'!! :wink: )

Do you smell of coconut? :lol: :lol: :lol: ....Why not Holland & Barrat....I thought they did pretty much everything like that :?

Well, it does have a very faint subtle odour of FRESH coconuts, which is delicious on it's own, but I often put a few drops of essential oil on the palm of my hand before I rub it over my body (rose, jasmine, vanilla, ylang ylang, whatever I am in the mood for!) and this makes it into you own personalised perfumed body moisturiser! And coconut oil is not 'oily' at all and is absorbed by the skin very quickly! I just use a tiny bit of the neat coconut oil on my face, leave it to sink in for a few minutes and blot with tissue before applying make-up... it's the perfect base for make up! (my daughters used to buy me face creams and body creams from all the 'luxury cosmetic ranges.....at £40-50 a pot....and believe me coconut oil beats them all hands down. I even noticed that after I started using it as a facial mousturiser that my eyelashes became longer and thicker...I kid you not!)

Oh, and Holland and Barratt don't sell pure coconut oil. They may sell the RHD coconut oil (refined, heated, deodorised) type, which is OK, but I prefer the pure one which does have the scent of fresh coconuts.

Also H&B's stuff is not the best IMO. They used to be a private independent company, but they sold out to a huge US company that also owns Boots!! So now 95% of their stock is their own, mass produced own brand! Independent health stores can sell the BEST brands of supplements and products (although they are being strangled out of business by H&B and those that have a vested interest in keeping us all taking the pharmaceutical drugs for our ailments.) Believe me, nature knows best what can 'cure' most ailments, and these huge drug companies just do not want people to know that they can keep well, and correct most common modern ill-health with natural remedies. (natural remedies are just NOT patentable...so no money in them!) Sorry :oops: will stop now! Just was on my hobby-horse for a while there!
quark1
On Parole

Postby putridpixie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Like the OP I practically live in sandals or flip flops and suffered badly from hard skin on my heels. I tried everything without success until one day I was speaking to a nurse who advised me to buy a big tub of liquid paraffin and slap it on. I did this for a few nights, covering with socks in bed, and my heels are now lovely and soft. Best of all a huge tub costs very little.
putridpixie
New In Town

Postby Chox » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:51 am

hi,

i live barefooted, pretty much. but even accounting for that, i have BAD HARD heels. i have heels that scare pedicurists. i have to reassure them that it wont hurt me.
the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is not a pumice stone, but a fake pumice stone. i dont know the difference, and i dont know what its called. but they come in colors, they are rectangles, and they look like they are the same texture as a pumice stone. but as you use them, they wear away in a way the pumice stone does not.

but if you get one of those, and use it every time you shower, you will have smoothe feet. i had tried everything before i found that thing.

and there is just one of my dirty secrets.
Chox
Been Cautioned

Postby quark1 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:55 am

Forgot to tell you another good way of removing hard skin from your feet.

Soak your feet in warm water with a cupful of vinegar in!! Cider vinegar is best, but white vinegar or the ordinary brown vinegar that you put on your chips will do just as well.

Soak for 15 mins, and then when you are drying your feet rub hard with a rough towel, and the skin just comes off with the rubbing!!

If the problem is really bad, soak them in vinegar for a few days on the trot. (the vinegar smell disappears after a few minutes!). If you then massage in some coconut oil, or pure almond oil (which is excellent to soften skin, and fairly cheap to buy...either in chemists shops or Holland and Barratts) you will soon have lovely soft feet.
Cheap! And natural!
quark1
On Parole

Postby diddy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 am

Snowleopard wrote:Buy a big tub of Vaseline. Every morning after washing your feet and every night dollop a load on and massage it all over your feet, then put a clean sock on over them. After a fortnight your feet will be as smooth as a babies bum.

Do you mean the ordinary, yellowy stuff-petroleum jelly?
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby nurgis » Fri May 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I thought I might ad to all the good advices above.
My grandmother treated my sister's badly cracked skin on her feet with lemon juce.
Her feet sometimes bled from the cracks. I was asked to hold her hands
I only 7 and she 13, as my grandmother rubbed wedges of lemon all over
the soles of her feet. She always got better and no scars. So when my
feet started to get hard skin I remember this and tryed it. It works wonder.
Just cut the lemon in wedges or slices and rubb it on the area. Sometimes
I repeat it for 3 or 4 evenings. I usually do this before going to bed.
NO more ice please and justice for Maddie
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby lillyofthevalley » Fri May 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Great Info i have hard skin going to get going on both feet tonight
they will be that soft and smooth i will be sliding all over the place :lol:

Thanks all :wink: :D
lillyofthevalley
You're Nicked

Postby bugalugs1970 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:55 pm

newperson wrote:i dont wear shoes much just flip flops and sandals - is this why i get so much hard skin on my heels - trying everything and not shifting

:(

might take the hand sander to them

:lol: :lol: i have the very same problem....or did have. Like yourself i live in flip flops or sandals and became rather embaressed by my heels. I bought myself a Skhol (sp) heel grater, its great, i also pumice my heels after a foot soak and apply body shop peppermint heel cream and in combination it has all worked a treat. I now have baby soft heels to be proud of.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum