Hair loss?

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Re: Hair loss?

Postby Primavera » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Chinese herbal medicine: "He Shou Wu." (polygonum multiflorum)

In the form of a herbal tincture or pills.
"I can no longer observe such pleased mad faces."
("Killers," by Alice Walker.)

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/
Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby MoeSzyslak » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:56 pm

If it's a woman experiencing hair loss, it could be PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome. A doctor could do a simple blood test to find out; or it could be estrogen dominance, or hypothyroidism. But, I would first suspect PCOS, which is more common than previously thought, and very often goes undiagnosed, Other symptoms of this syndrome include, weight gain or inability to lose weight, menstrual problems, hirsutism, infertility, acne, to name the major ones. There's no cure unfortunately, but if you change your diet to high protein low carb, and eliminate simple sugars and carbs, your symptoms can drastically improve. Also, there are plenty of herbs and supplements available to help. A good website for PCOS help is soulcysters.net. Take care! :)
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby Ann_Field » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:46 am

MoeSzyslak wrote:If it's a woman experiencing hair loss, it could be PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome. A doctor could do a simple blood test to find out; or it could be estrogen dominance, or hypothyroidism. But, I would first suspect PCOS, which is more common than previously thought, and very often goes undiagnosed, Other symptoms of this syndrome include, weight gain or inability to lose weight, menstrual problems, hirsutism, infertility, acne, to name the major ones. There's no cure unfortunately, but if you change your diet to high protein low carb, and eliminate simple sugars and carbs, your symptoms can drastically improve. Also, there are plenty of herbs and supplements available to help. A good website for PCOS help is soulcysters.net. Take care! :)

Another thing that can be used to help control symptoms, especially hair loss, acne and hirsutism, is the diabetes drug Metformin. It isn't licensed for use for help with PCOS, but many doctors (mine included) prescribe it for that reason. It won't put hair back which has already gone, but it will stop you losing anymore, or at least slow the rate of loss down in some people.

On another note, my mother lost all her hair through stress when my father was extremely ill many years ago. Our doctor of the time, one of the old fashioned types, told her to wash her 'hair' in egg yolk twice a week. This she did and her hair came back in better condition than it was before she lost it. As a result, till the day she died, she always washed her hair with egg yolk at least once a week.
Ann_Field
New In Town

Postby RedFury » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:44 pm

dont know if anyone has mentioned this but low iron levels can be the cause........
RedFury
Suspect

Postby Marianna » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:58 pm

Hypothyroidism did for my lovely hair. After five years of a pill a day, the hair has improved significantly. Get a thyroid check if you get tired alot.
Marianna
Suspect

Previous

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum