Cholesteral

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Cholesteral

Postby notdeadfred » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Any natural ideas for lowering cholesterol?? I am on tablets, but it is still high, not overwight and eat fairly o.k. Doc thinks it is more than likely genetic as my pa had a heart attack quite young.
It was our holiday too
notdeadfred
On Parole

Postby qwertyberty » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:00 pm

Eat lots of oats- porage for breakfast- no sugar, little milk. Oatcakes.
qwertyberty
New In Town

Postby telegram1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:46 pm

I am sure i read somewhere that Pomegranate juice is good for lowering cholestorol
telegram1
You're Nicked

Postby qwertyberty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:24 am

telegram1 wrote:I am sure i read somewhere that Pomegranate juice is good for lowering cholestorol

It's good for men's health too.

Soya milk is also good for cholesterol lowering.
qwertyberty
New In Town

Postby mrsdiamondpants » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:53 pm

Flax seeds too.
mrsdiamondpants
New In Town

Re: Cholesteral

Postby MoeSzyslak » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:28 am

I know of several things that could help lower cholesterol.
Garlic
Liver Cleansing (with herbs, etc.)
Blueberries. Yep blueberries.

Check this out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3591384.stm

And, you can buy blueberry extract in liquid and capsule form, too. I know it's very difficult to find the fruit sometimes. Also, you would probably have to eat a ton of the fruit to get the benefit the active compounds that lower the cholesterol.

I found a site that sells blueberry in capsule form. http://www.longerhealth.co.uk/page5.html But, just Google it and you can find other places that sell it, too.

Good luck!
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby Kim48 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Since been diagnosed with High Cholestral I miss thE sweet things so I have the frozen berries /summer fruits from supermarket (Defrosted of course) and have some yogurt or low cal sweetner with it.
Lots of greens, I have never eaten so much watercress!!
Oh and Olive spread instead of butter.
Those who play the game do not see as clearly as those who watch - Old Chinese proverb

We were a silent, hidden thought in the folds of oblivion, and we have become a voice that causes the heavens to tremble - Kahil Gibran
Kim48
Hardened Criminal

Postby dogrose » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:30 pm

exercise is important too. raises the good cholesterol High density and lowers the low density (bad stuff)
dogrose
On Parole

Postby OccamsMachete » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Great answers here! The knowledge base on this forum is impressive.

Lowering cholesterol is easy and inexpensive. If I had elevated cholesterol/triglycerides, I would do four simple things:

1) Exercise daily, even if it's just walking around the block every day.
2) Take fish oil caps. Those omega 3's will lower it, and fish oil is more effective than flax, which requires conversion and 20% of the population can't convert.
3) Eat fresh garlic at every opportunity. Alternatively, one can swallow whole fresh garlic cloves (cut down to size if necessary) or take a garlic supplement. Fresh is better than supplements -- if you're worried about "garlic breath," cutting the green shoot out of the center of the clove will help.
4) Take 1 tsp. of RAW (unprocessed, with the "mother") apple cider vinegar (ACV) in a glass of pure drinking water (no tap water, please!) as large as you want twice daily, mornings and evenings.

#3 and #4 can be combined -- just mince fresh garlic into a small bottle/jar of apple cider vinegar. Cover and store in the fridge. This makes a tasty, tangy salad dressing!!

Do the above and your cholesterol will drop like a stone in no time.
OccamsMachete
New In Town

Postby Primavera » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:44 pm

Have a look at the extracts on this page of WDDTY (What Doctors Don't Tell You)

http://www.wddty.com/033638003701763991 ... ancer.html

And have a look at this.

http://www.wddty.com/033638003693848371 ... e-act.html

Cholesterol is one of the components of atheromatous plaque, which builds up on the damaged lining of arteries. The plaque is the body's way of creating a smooth surface over rough patches so that blood flow does not become turbulent. So, you can see that cholesterol is not the cause of the problem. Lowering blood cholesterol is not going to heal the cause and may actually create other serious health problems, especially when statins are prescribed. However, with the millions which have been invested in the development and marketing of statins and the huge profits, they are not likely to be looked at too closely either by the companies which produce them or by the doctors who receive fine bonuses for prescribing them. Cynical? Moi? :roll:

What is the most likely chemical culprit for the original arterial damage? Homocysteine?

http://www.answers.com/topic/homocystei ... ealth?ff=1

"Elevated concentrations in the blood are thought to increase the risk for heart disease by damaging the lining of blood vessels and enhancing blood clotting."

And also:

"Women have 10-15% less homocysteine during their reproductive decades than men which may help explain the fact they suffer myocardial infarction (heart attacks) on average 10 to 15 years later than men."

And:

"A high level of blood serum homocysteine is a powerful risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Unfortunately attempts to decrease the risk by lowering homocysteine have not been fruitful"
"I can no longer observe such pleased mad faces."
("Killers," by Alice Walker.)

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/
Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby Mantra » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:41 pm

notdeadfred wrote:Any natural ideas for lowering cholesterol?? I am on tablets, but it is still high, not overwight and eat fairly o.k. Doc thinks it is more than likely genetic as my pa had a heart attack quite young.

Hi, Here's a few articles to help you get started.
http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show ... ring-foods
http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show ... upplements
http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show ... holesterol

I lowered my cholesterol with pecan nuts. There was a study in America and they treated people with Pecans and apparently worked very well. Can't find the link now, but if I do I'll post it. :)
Mantra
You're Nicked

Postby imanidiot » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:19 pm

hi i am new here and have cholesterol problems too and find this page very informative. i know prawns and coconut are bad, shame cos i love prawn curry with lots of coconut, its a pain.
imanidiot
New In Town

Postby FSoares » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Sometimes the best way to lower cholesterol is, like anyone already knows, to follow a balanced diet.

Fries have to be avoided as well as food with fat. Olive oil instead of butter. Preference to grilled and boiled food. Eating lots of vegetables and fruits. A meal of fish per/day would be a good thing as well, as fish has a high concentration of Omega3. Avoiding eating lots of potatoes is also a good step to follow.

A soupe of vegetables is something very good. We can use almost all vegetables on a soupe. The basis of it can be made with pumpking, carrots, courgettes, tomato, onion and garlic (do not use potatoes). Then you can smash everything and add to that "cream", leek, any type of cabbage, peas, beans, etc. Almost at the end of boiling it, add salt and a small amount of olive oil. This soupe can be a meal for the evening. On a soupe there's no fat and vitamins are not lost with water we throw away when we boil something. All vitamins are kept on a soupe.

A little bit off-topic but use just non-refined salt as well.
FSoares
You're Nicked

Postby quark1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:11 pm

FSoares wrote:Sometimes the best way to lower cholesterol is, like anyone already knows, to follow a balanced diet.

Fries have to be avoided as well as food with fat. Olive oil instead of butter. Preference to grilled and boiled food. Eating lots of vegetables and fruits. A meal of fish per/day would be a good thing as well, as fish has a high concentration of Omega3. Avoiding eating lots of potatoes is also a good step to follow.

A soupe of vegetables is something very good. We can use almost all vegetables on a soupe. The basis of it can be made with pumpking, carrots, courgettes, tomato, onion and garlic (do not use potatoes). Then you can smash everything and add to that "cream", leek, any type of cabbage, peas, beans, etc. Almost at the end of boiling it, add salt and a small amount of olive oil. This soupe can be a meal for the evening. On a soupe there's no fat and vitamins are not lost with water we throw away when we boil something. All vitamins are kept on a soupe.

A little bit off-topic but use just non-refined salt as well.

I'm a great soup fan too! Spinach and chick peas, watercress, butternut squash, broad beans, minestrone.....I always have a soup ready in the kitchen. Quick to make, cheap (use any leftoever veg cuttings) and very nutritious.

Those people who think soup comes in 'tins' or 'cartons' just do not know what they are missing!
quark1
On Parole

Postby cushty » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm

my cholesterol was over 8 - prescribed statins, got strange muscular pains in arm, so stopped taking them and started researching

I found that although statins do lower cholesterol they don't have any influence on mortality for older women, and my GP agreed with that, at least in people who do not have existing heart trouble

and I also found that quite a few doctors do not consider statins the miracle drug they are claimed to be

so I stopped worrying about cholesterol, refuse further tests, and feel fine
cushty
Mafia Boss

Next

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum