The use of Opiates and CDs that can drug a child

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Re: The use of Opiates and CDs that can drug a child

Postby santacoloma » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:10 pm

I never once looked at this thread on the MF, but I can see now that it has its uses. Sorry, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth - I understand opiates, but I thought CDs were silvery round things that you hung up to keep the birds off your vegetables. No?
santacoloma
First Time Offender

Postby Snivelling Mole » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:16 pm

jeangenie wrote:I'm shocked to discover that Calpol Night is available over the counter.

yes, i saw it advertised on tv today. 'aids restfull sleep' or whatever it stated.
Attention. Pay attention. No mention. A sickest array. A mission. An admission. Ignition. Detonate.

Erase/Replace - Foo Fighters
Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby crunchy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 pm

Yay,
I finally got on! Hope all is well with you folks.

Marcus, what could a bottle of poppers do if a child got hold of them?
crunchy
New In Town

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm still interested in how long sedatives remain detectable in the bloodstream..For example if someone had an accident or similar and a post mortem was carried out...what could be detected after say..6 to 12 hours.
Rhiannon
New In Town

Postby bonnybraes1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:43 pm

@ mrsdiamondpants and snivelling mole - I am amazed that amitrypteline is prescribed at all for children - I take a low dosage because it does seem to help sciatica, but children...Marcus, what is your view of this?
bonnybraes1

Postby Snivelling Mole » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:01 pm

bonnybraes1 wrote:@ mrsdiamondpants and snivelling mole - I am amazed that amitrypteline is prescribed at all for children - I take a low dosage because it does seem to help sciatica, but children...Marcus, what is your view of this?

im amazed too, even the low dose i was on i was off my tits.

i distinctly remember my doctor telling me to give my daughter calpol when she was ill as a baby yet she was under 2 months old which is the rcommended age for giving it to a child.
Attention. Pay attention. No mention. A sickest array. A mission. An admission. Ignition. Detonate.

Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby TenaLady » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:50 am

Snivelling Mole wrote:

i had it prescribed as an anti-depressant and i was off my tits whenever i took it. i later discovered its usually used as a sleeping tablet.

What size are your tits snivelling mole ? Please don't bash me, it is a practical question !
TenaLady
New In Town

Postby Snivelling Mole » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:59 pm

TenaLady wrote:
Snivelling Mole wrote:

i had it prescribed as an anti-depressant and i was off my tits whenever i took it. i later discovered its usually used as a sleeping tablet.

What size are your tits snivelling mole ? Please don't bash me, it is a practical question !

:lol: not very big, childbirth has shrunk them somehow

Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby Elemental » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:41 pm

Medised works very well(almost too well, kiddy hangovers are not fun!), but Phenergan(another anti-hystamine) can go either way, it can work well one night, but if you give it again the next night the kid could be bouncing off the walls within 5mins!

I never heard of Calpol night though, maybe it's just not available here.
Let that be a lesson to one and to all, a person is a person, no matter how small.
Elemental
On Parole

Postby Snivelling Mole » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:34 pm

Elemental wrote:Medised works very well(almost too well, kiddy hangovers are not fun!), but Phenergan(another anti-hystamine) can go either way, it can work well one night, but if you give it again the next night the kid could be bouncing off the walls within 5mins!

I never heard of Calpol night though, maybe it's just not available here.

i assume its a new thing as the ad ets are new. where are you? im in the uk

Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby Elemental » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Ireland.

Another thing that was recommended to us by a psychologist for our Adhd fella, was synthetic Melatonin. It's not available in the UK or Ireland, but can be purchased in health stores in the US as a 'supplement' as it's not FDA approved as a medicine. Needless to say the lack of FDA approval put us right off that one, altough it is highly affective and based on 'natural medicine' as Melatonin is the hormone that regulates sleep patterns.
Let that be a lesson to one and to all, a person is a person, no matter how small.
Elemental
On Parole

Postby Brit Abroad » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:59 pm

New Zealand

I don't know if Calpol Night is available here in New Zealand. I believe that it is available in UK but I may be wrong. I don't know when exactly it was marketed first, or where. Does anyone else?

As Madeleine allegedly screamed for her Daddy for over an hour a couple of nights prior to her disappearance maybe she was given an extra dose of whatever they were using on subsequent nights (IF they were using anything at all, that is).
Clarence Mitchell said: "... legally speaking everything they were doing that week was well within the bounds of responsible parenting."
Brit Abroad
First Time Offender

Postby redbag » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Elemental wrote:Ireland.

Another thing that was recommended to us by a psychologist for our Adhd fella, was synthetic Melatonin. It's not available in the UK or Ireland, but can be purchased in health stores in the US as a 'supplement' as it's not FDA approved as a medicine. Needless to say the lack of FDA approval put us right off that one, altough it is highly affective and based on 'natural medicine' as Melatonin is the hormone that regulates sleep patterns.

Melatonin is available in the UK and can be prescribed by a GP
redbag
New In Town

Postby redbag » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:04 am

Medised and Calpol night are essentially the same, Pharmacies that refuse to sell Medised but stock and sell Calpol night freely are hypocrites, both have the same active ingredients 120 mg Paracetamol and 12.5 mg Diphenhydramine hydrochloride per 5ml.
redbag
New In Town

Postby bjr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:22 am

bonnybraes1 wrote:@ mrsdiamondpants and snivelling mole - I am amazed that amitrypteline is prescribed at all for children - I take a low dosage because it does seem to help sciatica, but children...Marcus, what is your view of this?

Yes I take a low dosage too for sciatica and back pain, I was quite amazed when I read the leaftlet about it being given to children.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

PreviousNext

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum