The use of Opiates and CDs that can drug a child

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Re: The use of Opiates and CDs that can drug a child

Postby Marcus66 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:57 am

Hi guys/gals

Apologies for not posting over the past 8 weeks but personal issues have prevented me.

I now have the time to answer questions posted.

As you all know, I do get to every post and answer your query/question.

One thing I will not do is answer personal questions on members / family members health issues.

This is unethical.

I can advise you of what medicines do what and also what advice to seek.

I hope that meets with your approvals.

Look forward to chatting once again and to get to the bottom of this very sad story.

Marcus

Btw. 5th November. No-one will post on here as to what happened on this date. It did happen in 2007, so I am not going to spin a yarn that it maybe 2208/9/10. It happened in 2007.
Remember, remember the 5th of November
Marcus66
New In Town

Re:

Postby Marcus66 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:58 am

Fred wrote:5th November Marcus? :clock: :idea:

Hi Fred,

Please refer to the above post.

Marcus
Remember, remember the 5th of November
Marcus66
New In Town

Re: The Effects of Opiates and OTC Medicines on Children

Postby gollum » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:24 am

I am asking this as I am sure you as a Pharmacist will have an idea.
If for example M was hit or shaken, death need not be immediate. Is it possible that the Mcs did not know that a serious head injury had occured......until much later.?
Could M have been put to bed and then died in her sleep?
gollum
New In Town

Postby FrancLisboa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:20 am

Hi Marcus

I posted the following text long time ago in your thread.
I think it worth reading because it shows how often doctors prescribe drugs to children.

It seems to be an usual practice. So why should they avoid to prescribe it for their own children?

+++++++

Sleep Drugs Often Prescribed for Kids
Study Shows Children With Sleeping Problems Are Frequently Treated With Medication

By Kathleen Doheny
WebMD Medical News

Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD

Aug. 1, 2007 -- Children with sleep problems are likely to be prescribed a sleeping pill or other medication approved only for adults, according to a new study.

When researchers from The Ohio State University and the University of Missouri evaluated 18.6 million children's doctor visits for sleep problems, they found that 81% of visits included a prescription for a medication. The study appears in the Aug. 1 issue of the journal Sleep.

"The findings raise concern because of the large number of patients affected," says researcher Milap C. Nahata, PharmD. Nahata is professor and division chairman at Ohio State's College of Pharmacy and professor of pediatrics and internal medicine at the College of Medicine. "We tend to jump on medication right away."

While he and other sleep experts agree that medication may sometimes help children with sleep problems, they suggest medication is best used in combination with other approaches, such as behavioral therapy. Nahata tells WebMD that studies of the medications in children are needed.

Prescription Patterns for Children With Sleeping Problems
For the study, Nahata and his colleagues evaluated information from a large database, the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, from 1993 to 2004, to find out what doctors prescribed or advised when young patients came in for help with sleep problems.

Children were aged 17 and under, all experiencing sleep difficulties such as insomnia. Most visits were by children ages 6 to 12. Pediatricians, psychiatrists, family practice doctors, and others saw the patients.

Among the medications prescribed were sleeping pills such as Ambien and Sonata as well as other medications sometimes prescribed to help sleep problems, such as the antihistamine Atarax, the antidepressant Desyrel, and the high blood pressure medicine Catapres.

Antihistamines were most often prescribed for the children's sleep problems, given in 33% of the visits, followed by blood pressure drugs (26%), benzodiazepines such as the sleeping pill Restoril (15%), antidepressants (6%), and nonbenzodiazepine drugs such as the sleeping pills Ambien and Sonata (1%).

Doctors prescribing the medications that are not approved for use in children did so "off-label," a legal and common practice.

Nahata says his team did the study because there has not been a large study on the topic so far. The results surprised him, he tells WebMD.

"I was thinking one-third [of visits would involve prescription medication]," he says. Beyond the scope of the study, he says, was whether the medications prescribed were appropriate for the condition and how long the children used them.

++++++

Im not an expert on drugs, but once read about "phenergan", and ill post it later.
FrancLisboa
New In Town

Postby roshea » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Marcus, good to see you here!, previously Lurker 1, in a previous "Carnation"! :lol:

We've all read and heard?, lots over the past few weeks, and I read, this week, that she had been sedated with Valium, ? any thoughts??
roshea
Suspect

Postby mrsdiamondpants » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:06 pm

Hello Marcus66.

I have not posted on this or MF thread before but have mentioned use of amitriptylline for nocturnal enuresis.

Could this have been prescribed for MM at age 3+? I know it is licensed for this pupose but I feel it is a very strong medication.

I have had it prescribed for nerve pain & can only manage half of a 10mg tablet when I am not going to work as it affects me for ages the following day. Good for pain relief but not every day.

Thankyou for any comments.
mrsdiamondpants
New In Town

Postby annabelle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi folks, I just wondered whether anyone had wondered whether Madeleine could had been given sedatives twice by mistake?

Kate could have given her a sedative late afternoon when Gerry was at tennis and Gerry could have given her another sedative later when he came home? Maybe Kate was in the shower at the time and Gerry didn't realise.

Neither of them would be aware that each one had given her a sedative and she could have slipped away in her sleep and would have appeared to have been asleep when she was checked.

I don't believe they would have deliberately harmed Madeleine and thats the only thing I can think of that could explain things.
annabelle
New In Town

Postby Brit Abroad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 pm

A poster asked about Medised ..... I know that this contains the anti-histamine diphenhydramine which is also in Calpol night-time formula. The data sheet for diphenhydramine clearly states that side-effects from overdose can be serious, even fatal.

The advice given with Calpol night is that it not be given for more than 3 days without referral to a doctor.

MY QUESTIONS FOR MARCUS

- does diphenhydramine accumulate in the body? If not why are side effects more likely with continuous dosage?

- if a child was given the formula every night, for say 6 nights, would this cause a severe reaction or death, or would it need to be an increased single dose to do that?

thanks.
Clarence Mitchell said: "... legally speaking everything they were doing that week was well within the bounds of responsible parenting."
Brit Abroad
First Time Offender

Postby Snivelling Mole » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:49 pm

my daughter was prescribed an antihistamine called chlorphenamine which is basically piriton which 'may cause dorwsiness' when she had an attack of allergic hives to something.

is there anything concerning this?

Chlorphenamine is called a sedating antihistamine as it enters the brain in significant quantities and is therefore more likely to cause drowsiness than the newer group of non-sedating antihistamines.

taken from http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000508.html
Attention. Pay attention. No mention. A sickest array. A mission. An admission. Ignition. Detonate.

Erase/Replace - Foo Fighters
Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby gestalt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi Marcus - glad you're back in town, cold int'it?
gestalt
First Time Offender

Postby Snivelling Mole » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:14 pm

mrsdiamondpants wrote:Hello Marcus66.

I have not posted on this or MF thread before but have mentioned use of amitriptylline for nocturnal enuresis.

Could this have been prescribed for MM at age 3+? I know it is licensed for this pupose but I feel it is a very strong medication.

I have had it prescribed for nerve pain & can only manage half of a 10mg tablet when I am not going to work as it affects me for ages the following day. Good for pain relief but not every day.

i had it prescribed as an anti-depressant and i was off my tits whenever i took it. i later discovered its usually used as a sleeping tablet.
Attention. Pay attention. No mention. A sickest array. A mission. An admission. Ignition. Detonate.

Erase/Replace - Foo Fighters
Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby saxoblue » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:08 am

morning marcus

just to say i read all the opiates threads on mf it was the first post that got me hooked i wasn't a poster over there thank you and to the other contributors
saxoblue
Suspect

Postby bamerica » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:38 am

annabelle wrote:Hi folks, I just wondered whether anyone had wondered whether Madeleine could had been given sedatives twice by mistake?

Kate could have given her a sedative late afternoon when Gerry was at tennis and Gerry could have given her another sedative later when he came home? Maybe Kate was in the shower at the time and Gerry didn't realise.

Neither of them would be aware that each one had given her a sedative and she could have slipped away in her sleep and would have appeared to have been asleep when she was checked.

I don't believe they would have deliberately harmed Madeleine and thats the only thing I can think of that could explain things.

Hi annabelle - I was just thinking the same thing. That makes two of us anyway.
bamerica
New In Town

Postby mrsdiamondpants » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:37 am

Snivelling Mole wrote:
mrsdiamondpants wrote:Hello Marcus66.

i had it prescribed as an anti-depressant and i was off my tits whenever i took it. i later discovered its usually used as a sleeping tablet.

I know Snivelling Mole & I believe the 10mgs tabs are the recommended paediatric dose.
mrsdiamondpants
New In Town

Postby jeangenie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:36 am

I'm shocked to discover that Calpol Night is available over the counter.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Orwell
jeangenie
Been Cautioned

PreviousNext

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum