how to extract codiene from OTC meds

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

how to extract codiene from OTC meds

Postby Tripz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:34 pm

Is there a way of extracting codeine from OTC medication containing paracematol(codamol). The reason is if you see the damage paracetamol does on the liver you would understand this request.
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Re: how to extract codiene from OTC meds

Postby Lana » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:00 am

:shock: why don't u just buy something that does not include the ingredients u don't want ??? :wink:
The McCanns said they had tortured themselves for a year about leaving their children alone.
Mr McCann said: "People will say that they've never done that and you know, who am I to argue?
Lana
Been Cautioned

Postby Snowleopard » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Codine Phosphate is available on prescription. Dose 30 - 60mgs every 4 hours to a max of 240 mgs daily. Child 1-12 years, 3mg/kg daily in divided doses. Cough suppressants containing codeine or similar opioid analgesics not generally recommended for children and should be avoided altogether in those under 1 year. It is an opioid analgesic for mild to moderate pain. Can cause nausea, vomiting, constipation and drowsiness. In large doses can cause respiratory depression and hypotension.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby Sad Git » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:10 pm

As snowleopard said, something like Co-Codamol can be obtained from your GP, assuming you have a legitimate medical reason for requesting it. If you have other ideas in mind then to be honest your liver is going to be the least of your problems.....
Don't allow the McMedia to keep the public ignorant, download our leaflets now!
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... S%20bw.pdf
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... Mother.pdf
Sad Git
On Parole

Postby gestalt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Although paracetamol does damage the liver in high concentrations, under normal conditions it is safe to use at the recommended dosage. I would suggest that if you are concerned that the amount of paracetamol being taken is too high a medical practitioner should be consulted to prescribe a different analgesic.
gestalt
First Time Offender

Postby Snowleopard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi, Co-codamol is a combined drug containing both Codeine Phosphate and Paracetamol. It can be obtained from the chemist with a strength of 8mgs Codeine/500mgs Paracetamol. Usually stronger doses containing the Codeine can be got on prescription for more severe pain. Or Codeine phosphate can be prescribed on its own as I have written in the above message. My husband was prescribed the Codeine Phosphate after having his tonsills out and they became infected. I have a painful sinus infection at the moment and I am alternating between Nurofen and Co-codamol 8/500mg. I am on Amoxicillin antibiotics.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby Tripz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:47 pm

I read some literature in the past which suggested you could separate the codeine by way of filtering using only cold water and coffee filters, as paracetamol doesn't dissolve in that temp. but strangely the codeine pass through . has this method being tried by any any one? I'll would be interested to hear their thoughts on codeine extraction. Merci :)
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Postby horsegirl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Just so you know, if you take too much codiene, you will end up with constipation worse than you could ever imagine :lol:
horsegirl
First Time Offender

Postby justamumof3 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:01 pm

I get codeine on prescription - I have some of the "pure" codeine tablets still in the cupboard, though I prefer the paracetamol as well, I plan to enjoy a pain free life and am happy to accept the damage to my liver and kidneys from the painkillers.

If you need just codeine the doctor can easily prescribe it.
justamumof3
New In Town

Postby bubble » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm prescribed codeine phosphate but only take it when I've tried everything else. It's not something I'd advise anyone to take on a regular basis because, as someone else has mentioned, it does make you very constipated (not a nice subject I know). Another side effect is it's very addictive, and if taken over a period of time you have to wean yourself off it, or you get the shakes.

Trouble is all painkillers have side effects, none of them very nice. If anyone knows of one that hasn't, please let me know :)
bubble
Been Cautioned

Postby justamumof3 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Your body gets used to codeine very quickly, so the constipation is no longer a problem for me. When I stop taking it I have the opposite problem though :)
justamumof3
New In Town

Postby bubble » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:32 pm

justamumof3 wrote:Your body gets used to codeine very quickly, so the constipation is no longer a problem for me. When I stop taking it I have the opposite problem though :)

It's probably the cocktail of other drugs I have to take then, good to know they work for you though :)
bubble
Been Cautioned

Postby metodomom » Fri May 30, 2008 6:42 am

Codeine can be very addictive. My ex husband was prescribed codeine for chronic back pain.

It is a very effective pain killer, however, it should not be taken on a regular basis if possible.
I take Cuprofen plus for migraine. (that doesn't contain paracetemol. However, it does contain ibruprofen which is dangerous for asthma sufferers)
Faith and doubt both are needed - not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.
Lillian Smith
metodomom
New In Town

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum