Feeling a little scared...

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Feeling a little scared...

Postby Billie » Fri May 30, 2008 2:57 am

I went for a pelvic ultrasound this afternoon which was suggested after yet another urinary tract infection. I've had so many over the years I've lost count. Twice the infection reached my kidneys and I had to be hospitalized. Needless to say, I've come to realize that my bladder is my weak spot and so when I am really stressed and/or run down, that's where I get sick.

My doctor is concerned especially because I am a smoker. Apparently bladder cancer has been linked to smoking. Yet another reason to quit, but that's a topic for another day.

I'll have to wait until next week for the results. This latest round of antibiotics has helped, although I'm still feeling unwell in my abdominal area and have been feeling exhausted, bloated and my back (kidney area) feels bruised... probably because my body was busy fighting off yet another infection.

Scary, since I'm a single mum and have no one else to look after my kids so getting sick is not an option for me.

Anyone else experience recurrent UTI's? Any suggestions besides drinking loads of cranberry juice?
Billie
Hardened Criminal

Re: Feeling a little scared...

Postby Torti » Fri May 30, 2008 2:22 pm

A few suggestions: Cotton, not synthetic underwear. Usually recommended for vaginal infections, but helps on bladder, too.

Personal hygeine: clean yourself from front to back, NOT back to front, to avoid bacterial transferrence from one area to another. The female urethra is short and germs can easily enter the bladder, so clean gently, even in the bath or shower. Tampon usage: I know most women hate pads, but tampon insertion can cause problems for some.

Avoid caffeine--remember it's in lots of things like coffee, tea, colas and energy drinks, chocolate.

Drink more water and be sure to empty your bladder completely when urinating. Take the time to go and be comfortable.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby OoBubblesoO » Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Torti wrote:A few suggestions: Cotton, not synthetic underwear. Usually recommended for vaginal infections, but helps on bladder, too.

Personal hygeine: clean yourself from front to back, NOT back to front, to avoid bacterial transferrence from one area to another. The female urethra is short and germs can easily enter the bladder, so clean gently, even in the bath or shower. Tampon usage: I know most women hate pads, but tampon insertion can cause problems for some.

Avoid caffeine--remember it's in lots of things like coffee, tea, colas and energy drinks, chocolate.

Drink more water and be sure to empty your bladder completely when urinating. Take the time to go and be comfortable.

Excellent advice. Can't add anything else but what Torti has told you is spot on :bounce:

Hope you find out what's going on and feel better soon Billie xx
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Postby Chox » Fri May 30, 2008 3:11 pm

cranberry juice definitely, but dont forget water water water.

it is the best cleaner of bodies we have.

also, be sure to sit up straight on the toilet when pee-ing, because if you lean forward, your bladder does not empty as well.

good luck and don't be afraid.
Chox
Been Cautioned

Postby MoeSzyslak » Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Torti wrote:A few suggestions: Cotton, not synthetic underwear. Usually recommended for vaginal infections, but helps on bladder, too.

Great advice, especially about the caffeine! Caffeine, as in drinking sodas, tea, coffee, is what provokes it for me. If I feel one coming on, I drink loads of water.
There is a natural cure that I have tried that works to get rid of the infection, and prevent recurring ones; but I doubt you will like it. :wink:
Apple cider vinegar. Seriously. About a tablespoon in a glass of spring, distilled, or filtered water, at least couple times a day. You can do it more a day; it's harmless.
Here is a great page with personal experiences with it:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/bladder_infection.html#APPLECIDERVINEGAR

You have to get the unfiltered apple cider vinegar, from a health food store. The kind with the "mother" still in it. The mother is basically a brown stringy residue from the apples.
http://www.bragg.com/FAQ/faq_applecider.html#acv_faq1

This is the kind that works best, and it's cheap too.

Good luck!
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum