Start of Menopause?

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Re: Start of Menopause?

Postby diddy » Thu May 29, 2008 2:22 pm

cushty wrote:don't let them fob you off with the lie that menopausal symptoms only last a few months

I had hot flushes for more than 10 years, although I didn't have any other symptoms

Did you go on HRT?
And also, did yourperiods just stop, or become irregular.
As I said, I haven't had one for about 11 weeks.
I was somehow expecting them to become further apart, but not suddenly stop for so long.
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby JypsyBear » Thu May 29, 2008 5:36 pm

I am now 51, started around 42 went 12 months without a period and saw again , they say 2 years period free and then all clear as regards any more periods. Still getting Hot Flushes and occasional moods but settling down more now
JypsyBear
First Time Offender

Postby diddy » Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm

JypsyBear wrote:I am now 51, started around 42 went 12 months without a period and saw again , they say 2 years period free and then all clear as regards any more periods. Still getting Hot Flushes and occasional moods but settling down more now

Thanks for that!
I must say the thought of 12 months without periods is appealing!
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby Marianna » Thu May 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Yes, don't let anyone tell you menopause is a breeze. It is worse than labour.

Depression, panic, hair went wiry, thyroid started getting low and dodgy (am on meds), insomnia,
hot flushes (still after 8 years), weight gain, bloated (f*rting) you name it.

However, after a few years, it does settle down and I'm so, so glad I never took HRT.

If I had it to do over: I would have a full health check immediately to calm the emotions and imagination (and check thyroid). I would immediately take up even more exercise, cut out alcohol abuse and carb binges, ie live alot healthier, namely, I would control IT rather than the other way round.

But I ultimately did lose weight, cut down on el vino, got a dog, took loads more exercise, took up gardening (again), got divorced, got a new hubbie, stopped getting angry etc etc.

Over-50 is quite fun (well, nearly 60). When that bit of your life is over, you do enjoy yourself more. Anyone agree?
Marianna
Suspect

Postby cushty » Thu May 29, 2008 7:26 pm

I took HRT for several years, and did really well on it, but came off when there was a scare, as I already had slightly raised blood pressure

my periods stopped suddenly - no petering out - what a relief

the worst thing about the hot flushes is the ones at night - I used to have to hang my pillows out to dry each morning!

main thing is to concentrate on all the pluses of the menopause - it should be a time of great freedom and choice
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby chimaera » Thu May 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Absolutely, Marianna!
I didn't touch HRT, either.
I had a spell on Prozac (great, for me) and probably stopped me from committing gbh.

Still desperate to lose the weight, but there are other reasons for the non-loss.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby Kiri » Thu May 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Could be a thyroid problem - I had similar and it dragged on for ages. Turned out to be thyroid. I would be inclined to ask for a full hormone screening as it could be something other than menopause.
Good luck.
xx
Kiri
New In Town

Postby cushty » Thu May 29, 2008 7:57 pm

chimaera wrote:Absolutely, Marianna!
I didn't touch HRT, either.
I had a spell on Prozac (great, for me) and probably stopped me from committing gbh.

Still desperate to lose the weight, but there are other reasons for the non-loss.

would that be buns, chimaera?
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby Torti » Fri May 30, 2008 2:32 am

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I fell and broke both arms (left humerus, right wrist) while having a period (age 50), that one stopped, never had another, no hot flushes, no HRT, no weight gain, no moodiness. I already had a dog to walk, so the exercise level kept high.

But I would encourage any woman having menopausal symptoms to have a checkup and find out what is going on. Sometimes it's something else. Also, you need to continue pap smears (recommended intervals vary with where you live, your personal background and history, etc.), so the gyno visits are not totally over. And watch out for osteoporosis. You need to get your calcium intake up. Dietary is much better than pills and works better, but it's hard to do. Weight bearing exercise, like walking, helps here, too.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby metodomom » Fri May 30, 2008 6:31 am

My periods are irregular now and very heavy. Having said that I have always suffered with heavy periods

I haven't had hot flushes yet but have felt quite down recently. I would like to take a test to check if I am menopausal.
I don't sleep as well as I used to. However, I think I am just over stressed!

:mrgreen:
Faith and doubt both are needed - not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.
Lillian Smith
metodomom
New In Town

Postby Poppyflowers » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 am

Hi girls,

just got back from the docs. He has referred me for blood tests - to see whats what. He asked if i was thinking about HRT - I am because my mother was pretty murderous during the menopause - which she was going through when I was a little girl. In fact she was so bad - she was sectioned - all pretty brutal stuff. (She had me when she was 45!) I don't want to be like that. Doc mentioned risks of breast cancer - luckily there is none in my lineage. However I don't want to gain any more weight , which I am prone to do or grow a beard! :shock:

I was uber healthy until last year, when I broke my leg (badly) - during the time I was on crutches - I reckon I crushed the nerves in my hands - now I have carpal tunnel syndrome :cry: Have to have op on them soon :cry:

Dear oh dear... it never rains....
A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
Oscar Wilde
Poppyflowers
New In Town

Postby chimaera » Fri May 30, 2008 10:11 am

cushty wrote:would that be buns, chimaera?

That and steroids, cushty :D

Poppyflowers: Glad you went to the doctor. HRT is good for some people - I just did not need or try it. I'm having an op for cts shortly, as well! You know it's a day patient job? In and out, apparently.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby RedFury » Fri May 30, 2008 10:16 am

some women breeze through menopause while others really suffer and I'm one of the latter :( Not sure if I can post a link here but for those who need more help --------

www.power-surge.com ...........

Unfortunately the site is down at the moment - dont know why but keep trying ---
RedFury
Suspect

Previous

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum