does anyone live with chronic pain

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Re: does anyone live with chronic pain

Postby bonnybraes1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:53 pm

My aches and pains are totally minor, just sciatica and old injuries to joints, etc., made worse by Father Time. I take low-dosage amytripteline and 30/500 co-codamol. Nothing at all serious - but does anyone else find cold and damp make things feel worse?
bonnybraes1

Postby artemis1013 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Yes definately worse in the darker months. I am getting no relief at all at the moment from the neck and shoulder pain and legs feel like cement. Roll on spring. I run out of energy far quicker as well in the winter.
artemis1013
Been Cautioned

Postby bonnybraes1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:36 pm

The internet must be a real Godsend for folk with serious problems, whatever their interests. Try not to let the bullies upset you, Carly. No-one knows what is ahead of us and trying to hurt people with health problems is just begging for karma to even the score...
bonnybraes1

Postby OccamsMachete » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:18 pm

somthinfishie wrote:Hi Carly,yes I do,fractured my spine back in 96,had it pinned and plated but lower lumber spine was left unstable due to ostioporosis,I have a permenent "slipped"disc.chronic pain,loss of feeling or over stimulation of feeling in legs,one or the other happily
, not both together.also suffer with psoriatic arthritus,an inflamotory arthritus similar in effect to rhuemetiod.

I`m quite small 4 10..1/2 and weigh 6.2 soaking so most meds either knock me out or make me vomit.

Try to keep smiling though,nothing else to do.

fishie.XX

Hi Fishie,

I suffered with psoriatic arthritis mutilans -- the bone-destroying form of the disease -- for years since the age of 4 and have been in remission for 9 years now.

Like its cousin, rheumatoid, and all other inflammatory arthritides, PA begins in the gut! You need serum (blood) food allergy testing ASAP to determine which foods you are reacting to so you can begin avoiding those foods and begin to heal.

Please PM me for more info.
OccamsMachete
New In Town

Postby kcr1 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:25 pm

i am now awaiting for x-rays again on my hips my gp thinks that its busitis ( think i have spelt it right ) but it is all to do with my arthritis. so i will now have to find out about this
kcr1
Local Lag

Postby Snivelling Mole » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:22 pm

OccamsMachete wrote:
somthinfishie wrote:Hi Carly,yes I do,fractured my spine back in 96,had it pinned and plated but lower lumber spine was left unstable due to ostioporosis,I have a permenent "slipped"disc.chronic pain,loss of feeling or over stimulation of feeling in legs,one or the other happily
, not both together.also suffer with psoriatic arthritus,an inflamotory arthritus similar in effect to rhuemetiod.

I`m quite small 4 10..1/2 and weigh 6.2 soaking so most meds either knock me out or make me vomit.

Try to keep smiling though,nothing else to do.

fishie.XX

Hi Fishie,

I suffered with psoriatic arthritis mutilans -- the bone-destroying form of the disease -- for years since the age of 4 and have been in remission for 9 years now.

Like its cousin, rheumatoid, and all other inflammatory arthritides, PA begins in the gut! You need serum (blood) food allergy testing ASAP to determine which foods you are reacting to so you can begin avoiding those foods and begin to heal.

Please PM me for more info.

now i never knew that!! is have PA that has severely affected my hands and right knee. am currently taking cyclosporin which helps in a way.

however i have never ever had what id call psoraisis in my entire life apart from a few 'pustules' on my fingers nown again and on my scalp.

finally i meet someone online who has the same as me. usually people have never heard of PA.
Attention. Pay attention. No mention. A sickest array. A mission. An admission. Ignition. Detonate.

Erase/Replace - Foo Fighters
Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby Ann_Field » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:12 am

I struggle with constant pain. I have two slipped and leaking discs in my lower back, arthritis in my neck and knees, a trapped sciatic nerve and neuropathy (from diabetes) in my arms and hands. I was prescribed Diclofenac for a long time, but had to be taken off it a couple of years ago because I started getting heart attack symptoms. Tightness around the chest, pain down the arm, etc., I had the tube into the groin test (sorry can't remember what its called) which showed nothing wrong with my heart. The doctor at the hospital looked at my prescription and pin-pointed the Diclofenac as the cause of the symptoms and I was taken off them immediately. Since then I've been prescribed Dihydrocodeine and Codydrenol, neither of which did much good. Now I just put up with the pain as best I can.
Ann_Field
New In Town

Postby cushty » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:33 pm

gonzo wrote:I have arthritis pretty bad and have recently started taking
Devils Claw capsules. Got to be honest I haven't been taking them very long
but I have been able to reduce the amount of pain killers I used to take.

I used to wake up every night with severe pain going up into the back of my head from arthritis in the neck

Devil's Claw stopped it completely, though to get the full effect you have to take for at least 4 weeks

I now take just one a day and the pain has never returned, nor do I have any other arthritis
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby Snivelling Mole » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:13 pm

fishie and occams, can i ask how long youve had pa for and what meds you take?

also do either of you suffer with psoraisis?
Attention. Pay attention. No mention. A sickest array. A mission. An admission. Ignition. Detonate.

Erase/Replace - Foo Fighters
Snivelling Mole
Hardened Criminal

Postby dollydaydream » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Everyone... Somethinfishie....you were the first to welcome me on this site and thankyou for that...BlueBabe I suffer like you...Cervical spondulosis at 24yrs now multipule arthritus and fybromyalgia, and last may a fall left me with a broken hip that has been pinned and I have to wait another year to know if its worked.....on mega amounts of painkillers every 3hrs and a nightcap that should knock anyone on their back.....I have tried, and spent fortunes on other remedies, sadly so far nothing works......but I'll re-read what youve all written....and thanks for the suggestions......actually, it was when Maddie went missing that I'd broken my hip and was not allowed to walk for 3mnths.....I became so involved with the story, and used to think that no matter what I was going through Kate and Gerry were going through so much more pain......
dollydaydream
Local Lag

Postby somthinfishie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Snivelling Mole wrote:fishie and occams, can i ask how long youve had pa for and what meds you take?

also do either of you suffer with psoraisis?

Hi SM

After yet another diagnosis's I don`t have PA,just psoriasis's, pain is due to spondylosis and sclerosis off the spine and poly- arthralgia.Only treatment offered so far has been Tramodol,they don`t agree with me at all so I take 8/500 co-codamol instead.Glucosamine has increased my range of movement to a small extent so I`ll persevere with those.Sorry I can`t help.

Anne Field and Dolly....it seems we have very similar problems,living with chronic pain can be very disheartening and frustrating at times,it`s worse if you have trouble sleeping isn`t it.My best wishes to you~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby Ann_Field » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:04 am

Thanks somthinfishie. Best wishes back to you too, and every one on this thread who are in pain. xxx
Ann_Field
New In Town

Postby kcr1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 pm

well i've had my xrays done and also my resaults back
as i mentioned earlier i have osteoarthritis in lower spine
but the xrays have shown its spread across to my hips and pelvis area
also some some nurve trouble my gp has changed my pain killers
i am now taleing TRAMADOL HYDROCHLORIDE 50mg hope they work
kcr1
Local Lag

Postby somthinfishie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:45 pm

kcr1 wrote:well i've had my xrays done and also my resaults back
as i mentioned earlier i have osteoarthritis in lower spine
but the xrays have shown its spread across to my hips and pelvis area
also some some nurve trouble my gp has changed my pain killers
i am now taleing TRAMADOL HYDROCHLORIDE 50mg hope they work

Hi kcr,

so glad you have a diognosis at last,though the outcome could`ve been better,are you using walking aids?sometimes it can help to ease the weight from your hips/back when walking.

Tramadol really make me unwell,as well as vomiting it makes me very sleepy and quite confused,hope you are better on it,the Dr can give you tablets for nausea if you experiance any.
Nerve damage seems inevitable with these type of problems as the bones shift and trap nerves,a tens machine can help,especially with sciatica,I find.

Hope you find the intrnet gives you freedom,I do most of my shopping and pay the bills from my sofa,only go out when I want to these days,plan around the weather mostly.

Hope you are otherwise well and not to down,you seem positive and that does seem to help.

Love and best wishes.xx~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby littlepixie » Mon May 05, 2008 2:34 pm

somthinfishie wrote:
kcr1 wrote:hiya everyone i have diabetis type 2 thats not to bad at present. but i do suffer with osteoarthritis in my lower spine which can be stiff and very painful.
just over the last couple of years i have had stiffness and pains in what i thought was my hip ( right hip ) it may be a refered pain though because it is just a bit lower from the hip. intense pain on walking and getting in and out of bed.
just lately i have been haveing to use my elbow cruch or walking stick which i have noticed i am becomeing more and more reliable on i have always got fro a-b under my own steam since being diagnosed with osteoarthritis but now this in my hip
has eft me with no chioce but chin up hey

Hi kcr1,thats just the type of pain I get,had it xrayed at the end of 2006 and was told that due to general weakness a disc had prolapsed,had a scan booked for Feb 07,they cancelled,not heard anything since.

Sitinng walking even laying down is painful but the worst is standing still,pins and neddles burning cramping ect,washing up is excruciating.
Depending on your area you might get treatment quickly if it is a disc.In my area it`s low priority.

Hope you get some help.~~~fishie

That sounds exactly like the pain I have. I can walk fine but getting in and out of bed or turning over has me screaming in agony. It affects my left hip and lower back.
I am 45 and finding it difficult to work as I am in agony if I stand still for too long and after standing still for a while when I go to set off again its as if half my body steps forward and the other half stays still and it is agony.
I went to my docs and he advised me to excercise and swim. I wanted to punch him as when I tried the back strengthening excercises he suggested (lying on floor pushing back into floor) My back locked and I couldnt get off the floor.
It is making me very depressed as no-one takes me seriously.
littlepixie
Suspect

PreviousNext

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum