Going to other EU countries for ops

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Going to other EU countries for ops

Postby justamumof3 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Does anyone know what the rules are for having an NHS operation in another EU country?
New In Town
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:53 pm

Re: Going to other EU countries for ops

Postby perrito » Sun May 18, 2008 3:50 pm

I think it would depend very much on whether you were paying privately for an operation, in which case I doubt there are any restrictions.

If you were on holiday and needed emergency surgery then you would need to be in possession of whatever the E111 is now called.

Other than that I think you would have to be registered in the health system of the EU country you were in and deregistered from the UK health system.

We are registered in the Spanish healthcare system but if we go to UK or any other EU country we have to obtain the equivalent of the old E111 in order to obtain free treatment in UK.

I'm not too sure on other EU countries, I think they all vary, but I do know that Spain has reciprocal agreement with UK regarding health care, providing all documentation is correct and in order.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
User avatar
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Espa├▒a

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests