Hairy child

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Hairy child

Postby mrsgaz » Sat May 10, 2008 6:30 pm

My middle child (aged 8, female) is very hairy.

When she was born she was fat and hairy - and the midwife said that the hair would rub off as was just as she was 2 weeks past due date. Aged 2 and she still was very hairy - and as she is dark haired it is obvious.

I have been 'concerned'for ages about it as she is far far hairier than her brothers and friends and it is course dark hair. Well with this lovely weather and now being at junior school she has had her summer school clothes and the children are calling her a wolf due to her hair. She is upset about it and I am gutted for her.

I don't know whether to take her to the GP or if it is something she will have to live with until old enought to get waxed etc. I'd rather ti was sorted before she goes to high school (some time off!) but has anyone out there experienced similar? Have looked on internet and in healthcare books but have no ideas. Just wondered if anyone out there had any thoughs????
mrsgaz
Suspect

Re: Hairy child

Postby perrito » Sat May 10, 2008 6:40 pm

You may find this report useful Mrsgaz.

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/parents/a ... egoryId=41
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby Marianna » Sat May 10, 2008 6:41 pm

First, I am not a doctor. However have lots of kids/stepkids. One is very dark-haired and has to have her legs waxed frequently because the amount of hair she has -- also in moustache position -- it freaks her out, and she's a very attractive girl. I have a cousin who doesn't wear short sleeves for the same reason. So it may be normal, and children can be born with downy hair on their bodies but you are right, it usually disappears. As she's 8, it can't be this.

I assume it isn't very thick hair (ie hirsutism), but I would get the doctor to check her hormones.

Kids are mean to each other. It's so unfair, so to reassure yourself and her, get her to the doctor. If everything's OK, then you may have to consider waxing later, if she gets self-conscious. But at least you'll stop worrying. (Well, you won't because mothers never do!)

PM me if you get a result, because I keep thinking I should advise my stepdaughter to check this out with a doctor. but there's never a good moment and she hates talking about it.
Marianna
Suspect

Postby MoeSzyslak » Sat May 10, 2008 6:45 pm

If your child were older, I would suggest she might have polycystic ovaries syndrome which can cause hirsutism or excess hair. But, unless she is going through an early onset puberty, I doubt that is what it is.
I would DEFINITELY take her to the doctor. What have you got to lose? At least you can find out for sure one way or the other.
If all else fails, go to a naturopathic physician. They might be able to recommend supplements to take that could help.
Best of luck.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 10, 2008 7:19 pm

It could be polycistcic (sp) ovarys. My daughter had a similar problem and she too was born hairy. The midwives put it down to her parental heritage white/caribean, however the hair never went and became thicker as the years progressed, she also gained weight. When my daughter reached 10 i took her to the doctors, she was sent for a simple scan & blood tests at the hospital, a bit like the scan's when you are pregnant. Hey presto they spotted the problem straight away, my daughter was put onto Dianette and this controlled the weight problem and reduced the hairyness slightly.

Now 17 she has various parts of her body waxed every 6-8 weeks to further reduce the problem.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby somthinfishie » Sun May 11, 2008 12:43 am

A growth on the pituitary gland can also give the same symptom's,these are non maniglant,but can also can cause growth problems.I would visit the doctor just to reasure myself,most causes of the sort of problem you describe can be treated.Best wishies.~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby mrsgaz » Sun May 11, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks everyone.
It is all over rather than puberty type hair so if it can be sorted medically (or at lestfind out if it is medical) then that is the sensible option. I guess part of me does not want to be seen to be making it a big deal to her and drawing it to her attention, but if other kids are going to start teasing her then it is time to do something.

Will let you know how I get on.
mrsgaz
Suspect

Postby metodomom » Fri May 30, 2008 6:36 am

MoeSzyslak wrote:If your child were older, I would suggest she might have polycystic ovaries syndrome which can cause hirsutism or excess hair. But, unless she is going through an early onset puberty, I doubt that is what it is.
I would DEFINITELY take her to the doctor. What have you got to lose? At least you can find out for sure one way or the other.
If all else fails, go to a naturopathic physician. They might be able to recommend supplements to take that could help.
Best of luck.

I have polycystic ovaries syndrome and had to take chlomid to conceive. I have three daughters but have also had three miscarriages. ( two of them quite late; 14 and 20 weeks)
I didn't have excess hair on my face but I did have some which I found annoying.
The facial hair interestingly started when I was on antidepressants in my early twenties. It was probably coincidental but thats when it actually started.

My eldest daughter has facial hair.
Faith and doubt both are needed - not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.
Lillian Smith
metodomom
New In Town

Postby starangerandstranger » Fri May 30, 2008 6:47 am

My younger sister was born and remained very hairy. As soon as she was old enough she took remedial action for facial hair and when she was sixteen had expensive and painful electroysis treatment on her arms and back. She said it was the best money she ever spent as she gained confidence and hasn't looked back. This was over 20 years ago so things may have changed/improved. I would def go to the doctors.
starangerandstranger
You're Nicked

Postby metodomom » Fri May 30, 2008 7:34 am

I think there is medication that you can take to reduce hair growth. I know initially I was put on medication in the beginning.
However, it made me feel so sick I couldn't continue treatment.
Faith and doubt both are needed - not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.
Lillian Smith
metodomom
New In Town

Postby mrsgaz » Fri May 30, 2008 9:09 am

My very helpful new GP said that they want to wait until puberty to do anything as things might change. She's 8 and I am concerned that come puberty things will get worse. Have asked to be referred for 2nd opinion (he did not like that at all - said 2nd opinion would say the same...) so will wait for that to come through and take it from there. And then create a merry dance if they say to leave her.
What if she does not start puberty to 14: does she have to be teased for the next 6 years? I don't think so!
mrsgaz
Suspect

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum