Tennis Elbow ?

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Tennis Elbow ?

Postby lioned » Fri May 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Anyone else suffer ?
I dont play tennis but do a physically demanding job.
As i am self employed it always tends to be 'feast or famine' so when the work is there i do it regardless of how much it hurts,and at the moment i am working to support 4 adults so i cannot afford to rest.
Last year i think i may have taken on one particular job too many,a landscaping job involving lots of chain saw use and lifting of railway sleepers.
My elbows,particularly first thing in the morning,cane something rotten !!
Feels like a kind of 'rumatic' type pain,muscle strain,but hurts worse.Have tried the rub on ointments but they dont help.

Anyone ?
lioned
Local Lag

Re: Tennis Elbow ?

Postby Tripz » Fri May 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Seriously m8 go to the A&E get x-Ray you may have cracked or broke a bone...Tell you a quick story of a m8 of mine was involved in a car crash ended up with a completely smashed up elbow...ended his working days..the surgeons put a titanium plate in FFS his arm look like something out of a horror story after the plate was put in, lumps, and pain constant, finally got new operation on the old one which was a disgraceful job IMO..but as a grip of a baby...certainly not able to five knuckle with that grip.. :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

but seriously self diagnosing is a mugs game just ask those here who complain they have liver/kidney failure..Hypochondriacs they should call this forum..**tut**shrugs in disbelief**

good luck m8ty hope you get it sorted out! :wink:
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Postby lioned » Sun May 11, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks Tripz,it is both elbows so am pretty sure nothing broken,just overwork and strain.Most of what i have read just says 'rest' but thats no good if you have to work.
It does get better when ive had the chance to rest a bit,will probably try some pressure supports next !!
Thanks for your good wish's,i may talk to the quack about it next time i go in for an MOT.
lioned
Local Lag

Postby RoughCollie » Tue May 13, 2008 2:15 am

I've had tennis elbow (tendonitis) before. Got it from throwing snowballs. It hurts a whole lot. Nothing helped the pain except:

1. Narcotics (percocet or vicadin) - but cannot use while driving or operating a chain saw.

2. A sling.

No other remedies my friends suggested worked, including ideas of friends who are doctors and nurses. I got desperate, so I took one of my husband's pills (can't remember whether percocet or vicoden but they are alike in effect) and it worked. I am pretty sure iI only took 1 pill at a time, but if the pain had lessened and was still bad, I would have taken 2.
RoughCollie
New In Town

Postby bootsy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:08 am

lioned wrote:Anyone else suffer ?
I dont play tennis but do a physically demanding job.
As i am self employed it always tends to be 'feast or famine' so when the work is there i do it regardless of how much it hurts,and at the moment i am working to support 4 adults so i cannot afford to rest.
Last year i think i may have taken on one particular job too many,a landscaping job involving lots of chain saw use and lifting of railway sleepers.
My elbows,particularly first thing in the morning,cane something rotten !!
Feels like a kind of 'rumatic' type pain,muscle strain,but hurts worse.Have tried the rub on ointments but they dont help.

Anyone ?

Hi there im a new poster on here and as ive recently had tennis elbow i can tell you the pain was horrendous,after taking anti inflammatory tablets for weeks the doctor said the last option was to have a steroid injection in my elbow which i had and hurt like hell at the time but it seems to have done the trick?the symtons of tennis elbow are its very painfull to grasp something and the pain runs down from the elbow along the tendons of the forarm even after treatment i still have to carefull and think about what im going to pick up or carry.Hope this has answered some of your questions and good luck
bootsy
New In Town

Postby somthinfishie » Tue May 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Tripz wrote:Seriously m8 go to the A&E get x-Ray you may have cracked or broke a bone...Tell you a quick story of a m8 of mine was involved in a car crash ended up with a completely smashed up elbow...ended his working days..the surgeons put a titanium plate in FFS his arm look like something out of a horror story after the plate was put in, lumps, and pain constant, finally got new operation on the old one which was a disgraceful job IMO..but as a grip of a baby...certainly not able to five knuckle with that grip.. :( :lol: :lol: :lol:
[color=#FF0040]
but seriously self diagnosing is a mugs game justhere who complain they have liver/kidney failure..Hypochondriacs they should call this forum..**tut**shrugs in disbelief** ask those

good luck m8ty hope you get it sorted out! :wink:
[/color]

but seriously self diagnosing is a mugs game justhere who complain they have liver/kidney failure..Hypochondriacs they should call this forum..**tut**shrugs in disbelief** ask those

Aw Tripz,I love a laugh.

xx~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby lioned » Thu May 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks for all your replys.Not sure about the 'narcotics' but i'll take your advice on other things.
lioned
Local Lag

Postby justamumof3 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:11 am

Pain killers are safe to take if you are taking them for pain under the supervision of the doctor, even the opiates.

Yes, you can get physical dependence, but hey, you get that with caffeine. I find it easier to come off my opiate pain killers than I do my coffee, the withdrawal symptoms are much less.
justamumof3
New In Town

Postby docbell » Sat May 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi, tennis elbow is a very painful condition, there are two normal treatments,
first is an antiinflammatory medication like diclofenac sodium a prescription drug, See your GP, he will do a special test
to tell if it is tennis elbow by just twisting your arm, You will fall towards the floor in pain.
The best way of treating it is with a Hydrocortisone Steroid injection, this is painful but given with an anesthetic as well,
usually by your GP. This may make the pain worse for a few hours or days, but it will alleviate after that, it will need rest for a while and may be another injection if it returns. Usally one injection will last many months or years.
Go see your GP asap.... Regards Docbell
Warming up the padded cell.
docbell
Suspect

Postby lioned » Mon May 19, 2008 4:17 pm

docbell wrote:Hi, tennis elbow is a very painful condition, there are two normal treatments,
first is an antiinflammatory medication like diclofenac sodium a prescription drug, See your GP, he will do a special test
to tell if it is tennis elbow by just twisting your arm, You will fall towards the floor in pain.
The best way of treating it is with a Hydrocortisone Steroid injection, this is painful but given with an anesthetic as well,
usually by your GP. This may make the pain worse for a few hours or days, but it will alleviate after that, it will need rest for a while and may be another injection if it returns. Usally one injection will last many months or years.
Go see your GP asap.... Regards Docbell

Cheers docbell will go to the quacks soon.
lioned
Local Lag

Postby bootsy » Mon May 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi lioned posted a reply the other day and at weekend had to move my hubby's car and the reverse gear was hard to get and hey presto tennis elbow back with a vengence so it looks like another injection for me unfortunately
bootsy
New In Town

Postby lioned » Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 pm

bootsy wrote:Hi lioned posted a reply the other day and at weekend had to move my hubby's car and the reverse gear was hard to get and hey presto tennis elbow back with a vengence so it looks like another injection for me unfortunately

Yes thanks bootsy,it does sound like you are suffering much worse than me,mine is just about bearable and so far i havn't had to resort to injections,i try to avoid any kind of treatment for as long as i can and my 'ailment' seems to be not too bad these last few days as i have had a chance to rest up a bit,got a big job starting later this week so i am expecting things to get worse,hopefully not.
lioned
Local Lag

Postby bootsy » Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 pm

lioned wrote:
bootsy wrote:Hi lioned posted a reply the other day and at weekend had to move my hubby's car and the reverse gear was hard to get and hey presto tennis elbow back with a vengence so it looks like another injection for me unfortunately

Yes thanks bootsy,it does sound like you are suffering much worse than me,mine is just about bearable and so far i havn't had to resort to injections,i try to avoid any kind of treatment for as long as i can and my 'ailment' seems to be not too bad these last few days as i have had a chance to rest up a bit,got a big job starting later this week so i am expecting things to get worse,hopefully not.

You could try an ibuprofen gel wich you rub on every so many hours unfortunately rest is in my veiw the best treatment but if youv'e got a big job coming up the only thing you can do is to take some strong pain killers before you get started .Good Luck
bootsy
New In Town

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum