What is the best way to cure a chronic cough?

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

What is the best way to cure a chronic cough?

Postby peacelover » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm

I live on a meditteranean island and about four weeks ago I went down with a really nasty cold. After a week it turned into a cough and I have been troubled by that since.

Locals seem to think it may be being made worse by the massive number of flowers that are out at the moment and a local pharmacist presented my husband with Clarityne D 24 hours. But the pills are massive and I can't swallow them.

Can anyone reccommend something I can get hold of that will help clear this up?

I keep waking up in the morning feeling quite a lot better and then as the day progresses it gets worse.

It also seems to improve when I'm down on the beach - so maybe there is something in the pollen theory.

We can get just about anything over the counter here, except ironically codeine !!!

Any reccommendations would be appreciated.

I have drunk honey and fresh lemon juice with sage, until I have depleted all but one of the lemon trees in our village, so it looks like the natural remedies are beaten with this. :grommit: Not a relevant smiley but I liked it !!
peacelover
Suspect

Re: What is the best way to cure a chronic cough?

Postby bomaris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:09 pm

There are more negative hydrogen ions down at the sea. Just been reading about them. Very effective against bacteria apparently and mop up the free radicals.

Personally I go with v. hot baths - or steam inhalation from a bowl. Lots of vitamin C (c4 or 5 grams a day while the cold is on).

Sounds like you live in a nice part of the world so I would factor in long walks in fresh air if you are up to it and plenty of that lovely sea air.

Avoid mucus forming foods like cheese and milk until you are better.

PS I am not a doctor so feel free to ignore all this!
bomaris
Hardened Criminal

Postby Tripz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:35 pm

NO codeine... :x :(

I hope you get rid of that pesky cough soon...Your not a smoker by any chance? If so join the 3as X-smokers club... :wink:
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Postby nurgis » Fri May 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Please see a doctor this could be serious. Hopefully not but see a doctor
NO more ice please and justice for Maddie
nurgis
Local Lag

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum