Thunderstorm phobia

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Thunderstorm phobia

Postby saloongirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Does anyone have any tips on how I can overcome this? It gets worse every year.
SAVE A HORSE - RIDE A COWBOY
saloongirl
Suspect

Re: Thunderstorm phobia

Postby RedFury » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:06 pm

what exactly are you afraid of?
RedFury
Suspect

Postby saloongirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Being struck by lightning. Even if I'm indoors I'm afraid of the house being struck. It doesn't matter how many times people tell me what the odds are....it could still happen. A storm has just started here and I've gone shaky and dizzy.
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby MoeSzyslak » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 pm

You would probably be helped by exposure therapy which involves being exposed to what you are afraid of.
Exposure therapy is effective in treating obsessive-compulsive disorder. Exposure therapy involves repeatedly exposing people to the situations or people that trigger obsessions, rituals, or discomfort but not letting them perform the compulsive ritual. Discomfort or anxiety gradually diminishes during repeated exposure as people learn that rituals are unnecessary for decreasing discomfort. The improvement usually persists for years, probably because people who have mastered this self-help approach continue to practice it as a way of life without much effort after formal treatment has ended.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec07/ch100/ch100f.html

It's used for people with OCD, but also phobias.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby saloongirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:53 pm

The problem is it's not possible to expose someone to a thunderstorm slowly as you have to wait for them to happen....I've heard about making people listen to thunderstorm tapes or watch films of storms but that wouldn't work as I know they're not real and couldn't harm me (I know I sound defeatest!)
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby RedFury » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm not sure where you live but in the UK we dont have a lot of thunderstorms so thats a good thing.. What do you do to cope with them? Have you tried distraction techniques?
RedFury
Suspect

Postby saloongirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Yes I live in sussex. I do try to do things like crosswords etc to try and take my mind off it but it doesn't work. I can't concentrate on anything during a storm as I feel so panicky. I've tried deep breathing etc but that doesn't work either. The thing is, with most other phobias you can be taught that the object of your phobia can't hurt you but no-one can tell me that a bolt of lightning can't hurt me!!
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby RedFury » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:31 pm

I had a fear of thunderstorms when I was very young -- I would close the curtains in my bedroom only to realise that the lightening came straight through. I've overcome my fear and now I find storms really exciting! I hope you can overcome ur fear too...

Have you tried wearing a blindfold and using a walkman or ipod? :lol: It could help you never know...

I found a website for you. Hope it helps..

http://www.wikihow.com/Face-Your-Fear-of-Thunderstorms
RedFury
Suspect

Postby MoeSzyslak » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:36 pm

I would relate a story to you about actually being struck by lightening and surviving without any real injuries, but I don't want to make things worse, honestly! :( :) It is very rare, though.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby RedFury » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm

:shock: oh that sounds scary..

You were out in the open though, right?
RedFury
Suspect

Postby saloongirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Thank you Redfury & Moe for your support. I shall see how I get on.(storm has passed over now) :)
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby peacelover » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Saloongirl - I have a tendency to develop phobias if I don't talk firmly to myself.

One way of heading them off is to not avoid thinking about the worry because if you mentally shy away from the idea even of the thing that frightens you, you just give it even more power.

Deliberately think about thunderstorms.

Read up about them on the internet.

Never mind how unlikely being struck is. Read as much as you can about people being struck, building's being struck etc etc

Find out how often people get struck and walk away, or get injured and how long they take to recover.

The fact is, you are far more likely to be hit by a car, but it doesn't terrify you so that you won't go out near traffic does it?

That is because the car situation is extremely common and so you are used to it and know all about it.

So you just need to find a way to get so knowledgeable about storms and their effects that you will not see it as in any way a mysterious force.

You need to know why lightening strikes and what the science is behind it.

Then you won't be wondering if you will be struck - you will know that there isn't any chance of it because of certain reasons.

Good luck.
peacelover
Suspect

Postby saloongirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Thank you Peacelover, I know that all makes sense and shall have a go at trying that.
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby Tripz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:14 pm

My old man...would put a pillow/cushion over his head when there was thunder about...I've never asked him why he does this...but one reason maybe a throwback to the blitz in London he woud have been about 7/8 yrs old and constant boom of the bombs falling have left him scared mentally..Jmo..I'll ask him next time I see him.. :roll:
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum