I'm going to quit smoking....

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

I'm going to quit smoking....

Postby Tripz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:41 pm

Sorry, I had do it... It's gorey, but it's one of those things you say will never happen to you. Don't expect anyone to quit smoking. Believe me, we KNOW how hard that is!!!! We LOVED our cigs!!
WARNING GRAPHIC!!!!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

Hard to Quit Smoking
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IoRvcF5ESvA

Anti-smoking campaigns in Australia are getting tougher and more confronting and this latest ad is no exception.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-YjrkBYDDQM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o_BF8l-tT0g

Tar in Cigarette - Still want to smoke? - Quit Smoking

Experiment of 400 cigarettes
No wonder why humans get lung cancer !!
Think about this: The sticky Tar contains poison and remains in your lungs each time you smoke and your lungs need much calorie to remove these poisons from your blood!
You will live shorter than you think!
But think about your family and/or children's life!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-DbFBu_I_lA

:shock: : :(
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Re: I'm going to quit smoking....

Postby celticcarla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Are you really going to stop tripz??? Ive realy tried but everyone begged me to take it up again, it is so painful and im a beeatch on the withdrawals. yes the ads are scary but it has to be your choice and discipline is hard to find when you want to smack your head on a brick wall cause the suffering is intense. Ill do it with you if you want we can monitor each other, i might have to refrain from posting on here for a week or two, wouldnt want to take it out on anyone 8)

edited to add: you know the itchy ankle thing you commented on? i get it too, apparently it is the arteries playing up due to smoking affecting your/my circulation :shock:
"We have a pact. This is our matter only. It is nobody else's business", says David Payne.
Gonçalo Amaral promises to clarify "all the lies created"
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Postby Tripz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm

I'm question why did I venture into this forum...In first place?? :( ...I'm going to consider the smoking on my birthday next month... :wink: ...We have support nurse who runs a clinic for smokers who want to quit...I understand you must be 99.9% sure that is what you want to do or else I believe you will succome to the dreaded weed once more...I'll let you know when I'm intending to quit and we can support eachother through the withdrawls and hopefully have nice smelling breath and clothes...And healthy bodies and bank balances... :)

A month to go??? :( :shock: :wink:
TRUTH & JUSTICE
Tripz
Lifer

Postby celticcarla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:11 pm

Tripz wrote:I'm question why did I venture into this forum...In first place?? :( ...I'm going to consider the smoking on my birthday next month... :wink: ...We have support nurse who runs a clinic for smokers who want to quit...I understand you must be 99.9% sure that is what you want to do or else I believe you will succome to the dreaded weed once more...I'll let you know when I'm intending to quit and we can support eachother through the withdrawls and hopefully have nice smelling breath and clothes...And healthy bodies and bank balances... :)

A month to go??? :( :shock: :wink:

:mrgreen: OK ill give up the weed/ciggies too. Just given up the wine a few months ago and that was woefull but still have a friday night bottle. Yes breath would be good sick of cleaning teeth and chewing gum to perrty my goodself up. clothes yes, bodies apparently you gain weight :shock: not happy about that but then ill just eat less rice :mrgreen: and yes $$$ per week would be great. so let me know and i will try too. Ill ask Estelle to do it as well, when we do catch up we suck away like a pair of Dots from eastenders.

tripz can you really have a drink without a fag? that is the worst and hardest thing imo?
"We have a pact. This is our matter only. It is nobody else's business", says David Payne.
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Postby Tripz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:20 pm

CC I've never tried to quit well me and the partner went to the clinic and had our breathing analysized...That's about it...been a smoker for nearly 30yrs...Nicolette chews and patches..methinks...but seriously I think my body is telling me to call it day smoking...So best to agree...How long you smoked for? :wink:
TRUTH & JUSTICE
Tripz
Lifer

Postby celticcarla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 pm

Tripz wrote:CC I've never tried to quit well me and the partner went to the clinic and had our breathing analysized...That's about it...been a smoker for nearly 30yrs...Nicolette chews and patches..methinks...but seriously I think my body is telling me to call it day smoking...So best to agree...How long you smoked for? :wink:

9 years now a pack a day :oops: took it up with a vengence i did and i absolutely love it. patches make your heart go all irrational in beating (me anyway) i know i should be able to quit but its the b****y hardest thing. i love to drink so that was really hard but this smoking thing? I do worry about emphazema (spelling) though and i do get breeathing problems. stupid crazy and self damaging i know but that kick i get is soo addictive. im shocking, first thing when i wake up, a fag in my mouth even before coffee is made, sitting on here has pushed the amount up as well. itl be saying good bye to a very good friend for me :(
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Postby Tripz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:50 pm

You really know how to put a positive spin on it...Already doubting the task at hand...still a month away...We must start hating the thought of those toxic beautiful cancerous...buzz we get from a ciggie...It's a disgusting habit... :evil: :( :?
TRUTH & JUSTICE
Tripz
Lifer

Postby celticcarla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Tripz wrote:You really know how to put a positive spin on it...Already doubting the task at hand...still a month away...We must start hating the thought of those toxic beautiful cancerous...buzz we get from a ciggie...It's a disgusting habit... :evil: :( :?

:mrgreen: how many a day tripz??? you can do it, they say you feel better, your skin is better and obviously your lungs. when i did quit i had a black tar tongue, black poop and coughed up enough to cover the M3 :( Am so sorry i didnt stay of the things. Now lennys is gone and i remember in the intensive care ward people with lung cancer and oxygen machines thinking to myself that will be me if i dont quit. My first grandchild is due in 12wks and my daughter wont let me near her until i quit so that will be the trick for me. My daughter smoked as a teenager and when i smoked both types of smoke to show her how stupid it was i got hooked :oops: I try and blame her but she just says did i force it into your mouth - clever girl, naturaly she quit 2 yrs ago without incident after 8 yrs so i dont have an excuse.
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:03 pm

I gave up about 3 years ago using the nickquitin (sp) patches, they do work. You start of on the strong ones for 6 weeks then step down over next 6 weeks to a 5mg patch. The strong patches give you really freaky dreams in the first few weeks.

You don't get agressive cravings on the patches but you do miss the cigs, it makes you realise just how much you do smoke tbh. My house was immaculate when i gave up....housework.....great distraction from cigs and food.

Sadly after 10 months fag free i started again, just the odd one here and there and now back up to about 15-20 roll ups a day..... :(
I've been seriously contemplating given up again, you have so much energy after just a couple of weeks and no furry tongue in the morning, no nicotine stained fingers, white teeth, smoke free home etc.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Tripz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:03 pm

We both have incentives to then...9yrs you should have no problem...Me I'll have a dozen super strength patches on and 6 strips of gum chomping on...40+ a day... :shock: :( ...Also I've noticed the downstairs department not quite filling up...If you get what I mean? :oops: :wink: So more incentives there me thinks... :)

I'm feeling more positive now...just had a fag... :oops: :lol: :(
TRUTH & JUSTICE
Tripz
Lifer

Postby Tripz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:06 pm

Right another one enrolls...buglugs ...fell of the wagon...needs to kick the habit...We can do it...Believe!!! :)

Any more smelly smokers going to enroll? :wink:
TRUTH & JUSTICE
Tripz
Lifer

Postby Tripz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:20 pm

No one is born with a craving to inhale cigarette smoke, and what is more, until shortly before the decision is made to try smoking, virtually everyone is repulsed by cigarette smoke. Every new smoker who aspires to become a "real" smoker has to overcome her innate self-preservation instincts. She has to force her respiratory tract to accept being repeatedly saturated with a toxic, irritating cloud of poisons. She has to keep forcing cigarette smoke deeper and deeper into her lungs until she eventually strangles her cough reflex. She has to coerce her body into functioning as normally as possible with nicotine and carbon monoxide constantly flooding her bloodstream.

Cigarette smoking is a behavior replete with social symbolism, because we all - smokers and nonsmokers alike - recognize on some fundamental level that in order to become a smoker, you have to be willing to intentionally transform your body into doing something that nature didn't intend for it to do. To smoke publicly is to state to the world that you have completed a particular rite of passage and physical transformation that only certain others have, and to declare that you have made a decision to indulge your psychological needs to the detriment of your physical needs.

Cigarette advertising has certainly created a rich and fascinating Mythology of Smoking over the years, and social modeling and the desire to belong to a particular group also obviously play substantial roles in the attractiveness of smoking for many.

But underlying all other motivations is the persistent awareness that to smoke is to do something that is willfully Dangerous and Risky. For some smokers, this awareness may be buried by layers of denial and rationalization and become purely subconscious. But for many smokers, this persistent awareness not only remains important to their attraction to smoking, it is essential to the complex and psychologically dark romance that makes cigarette smoking absolutely unique among all of the sensual pleasures that a human being can experience.

The Sublime Desire of Cigarette Smoking

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nnA1-8qC3ok

Let's Think Back to Your First Cigarette...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qOl6Wu6Oai8

Forbidden Pleasures 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1LIDCM69UI

:( :)
TRUTH & JUSTICE
Tripz
Lifer

Postby celticcarla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Bugalugs come on lets all do it together and go insane whilst getting healthy. Cyberslaps will be required on those moments of utter despair.

Tripz and Bugalugs - the best way i ever heard of quitting was from a 90yr old man, his doctor told him to quit, hed smoked all his life and said he just put a packet of cigs in his pocket and everytime he felt like one he just touched the packet in his pocket and got through it. Im figuring if a 90yo can do it maybe i can too.

I know its all in the mind but its the thing in my hand and going to my mouth that i will miss.
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:41 pm

i'm defo up for ditching the fags again...let me know the date and i will book my doctors appt and sign up for the quit plan.

CC i tried coldturkey several times and it don't mix with little kids, i put my foot through the kitchen door, smashed the hoover up and threw coffee (cold) over my neighbour's car..... :lol: that was all within 3 days.

The patches do work. I never gained any weight, when i got the feeling of "time for a fag" ie after washing evening dishes, i found another job to do in the house instead to keep my hands busy.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby celticcarla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:55 pm

bugalugs1970 wrote:i'm defo up for ditching the fags again...let me know the date and i will book my doctors appt and sign up for the quit plan.

CC i tried coldturkey several times and it don't mix with little kids, i put my foot through the kitchen door, smashed the hoover up and threw coffee (cold) over my neighbour's car..... :lol: that was all within 3 days.

The patches do work. I never gained any weight, when i got the feeling of "time for a fag" ie after washing evening dishes, i found another job to do in the house instead to keep my hands busy.

:lol: :lol: wow you were actively withdrawing then :lol: im terrified cause that sounds like me once a month let alone without the cigs. i think the dog is going to stay outside and my son will stay out. the patches caused me some heart palpitaions etc and i found that realy hard to deal with and the nightmares are so wierd. I tried the thing you hold instead of a ciggie and you just suck on it, well it didnt work either. I guess i might try and cut down? cold turkey could be murder for me?
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Next

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum