What were the clues that could be seen?

Shannon Matthews went missing on her way home from school on the 19th February 2008, Shannon lived in Dewsbury with her Mother and Step Father. Please discuss

UPDATE Shannon Matthews Found Alive 14th March 2008

What were the clues that could be seen?

Postby Sad Git » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi, I was wondering if members here could list the clues and discrepancies that pointed to the Shannon Matthews abduction being a fake? I feel that if we could collate this information it might be very helpful to try comparing it to other similar cases.

Obviously, I'm not thinking of any case in particular.
Don't allow the McMedia to keep the public ignorant, download our leaflets now!
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... S%20bw.pdf
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... Mother.pdf
Sad Git
On Parole

Re: What were the clues that could be seen?

Postby Elemental » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:42 pm

To be honest, other than a niggling feeling that it 'could' be a scam, there weren't any that I could see :? Maybe that's the biggest clue?
Let that be a lesson to one and to all, a person is a person, no matter how small.
Elemental
On Parole

Postby miffed » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:12 pm

I didn't follow the case from the beginning. As it is, the McCann case is consuming too much of my time and energy.

However, when a child goes missing in a neighbourhood, isn't it normal for the whole neighbourhood to be in an uproar before even phoning the police? Were there signs that Karen had run up and down that street, knocking on all the doors, creating some sort of pandemonium before phoning the police? Going out for › hour and returning saying, no, I can't find her, is not I'd expect in a genuine case. I would've been screaming and tears by the time the police were called in.

In hindsight, the other tell-tale sign is a scene, repeated often enough on tv, when Karen appears to be to unable to hide her 'stress' (now seen as amusement), turns away from the cameras and is trying to hide her face behind Craig. Craig appears uncomfortable for her and afterwards I think they kiss for the cameras.

Not so funny anymore is it!!
miffed
On Parole

Postby bonnybraes1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:41 pm

The Press conference, for me. Shannon's dad seemed quite beside himself with worry, but Mum just didn't seem to gell with me. It just didn't sit right, though not in my wildest nightmares did I think it was as bad as it seems to be.

And when the cuddly toy was produced, there was a collective :pukeright: in this household.
bonnybraes1

Postby turkeylurkey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:49 pm

The only thing for me that stuck out as having more to it, was a couple of days before Shannon was found, when Karen said something like "I think maybe someone is holding her to get back at me".

That struck me as odd, not that I suspected she knew where her daughter was, more that she had maybe picked up this comment from someone else and was using it without really thinking about what she was saying. Why would she think that unless she had some idea who was out to get at her?

I watched the Channel 4 documentary and saw nothing that seemed unusual.

Looks like I was way off mark.
turkeylurkey
New In Town

Postby tequilasunset » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Well, I will be honest and hold my hands up here.

If she is guilty, as charged, and was instrumental in this whole farce and knew where her daughter was, all the time,

Then she has played me for a fool.

I actually felt sorry for this woman.

But having since read the report by her sister, I am now totally disgusted by Karen Matthews, assuming that her sisteer's account is true!

What a piece of work she is!
tequilasunset
Local Lag

Location: Watching Clarrie spinning pink cobwebs in the media

Postby TI » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Karen certainly had me fooled. I thought in early news conferences that she was genuine.
Be good. If not, be good at it!
TI
Been Cautioned

Postby Sad Git » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:07 pm

It's a bit worrying that we were so taken in, then. :shock:

Is it possible that we may have misjudged Kate as well?

(Note, I am only making conversation.)
Don't allow the McMedia to keep the public ignorant, download our leaflets now!
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... S%20bw.pdf
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... Mother.pdf
Sad Git
On Parole

Postby miffed » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:04 am

The only reason I feel compassion for Karen is that I believe she cannot be too bright to think she could pull this stunt off! She MUST be a dimwit and so I do feel sorry for people like that! But, her actions were selfish, calculating and unforgivable. And furthermore, anyone that can pop out children the way she does without one care in the world how on earth she is going to provide for them, cannot be a caring mother! My opinion!

As for Kate, I cannot say what happened to Madeleine (if it was an accident or violent reaction from Kate), but I do believe the cover up was not planned ... it was a panic reaction as opposed to Karen's premeditated stunt. The big difference is also Madeleine is most likely dead whereas Shannon had a lucky escape.
miffed
On Parole

Postby somthinfishie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:12 am

Sad Git wrote:It's a bit worrying that we were so taken in, then. :shock:

Is it possible that we may have misjudged Kate as well?

(Note, I am only making conversation.)

I`ve been asking myself all day to be honest,I really was was taken in at first,only after the C4 documentry did I think it might be a scam.

McCann

Nah,in hindsight,the first apeal,why did they need a script?So as not to trip themselves up.JMO.~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby farfromthe... » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:31 am

somthinfishie wrote:
Nah,in hindsight,the first apeal,why did they need a script?So as not to trip themselves up.JMO.~~fishie

Wow, this is what I love (occasionally) in this forum, when people can articulate what it was that made them suspicious, the script the McCanns used definitely didn't make me suspect anything because that to me seemed a normal thing to try to do, in the UK when the first appeal is made, usually by police and parents, they have written the script with a lot of thought designed to get out the information, inform the public and also communicate to a would be abductor, screaming at a camera 'give me back my baby' is not considered to be the most effective use of time IMO :wink: However the difference is that they are often reading from an autocue or cards as far as I am aware or at the very least are given a lot of instruction and in some cases the police do most of the talking, which was obviously different to a press conference organised by the family using torch light and reading off a script they wrote themselves.

Now for me that actually spoke volumes in terms of me feelng empathy because it was so completely different to the nice warm room in a police station flanked by family liason officers and detectives with a super oragnised slick production. It did make them seem very lost and abandoned (which may well have been the effect they were going for if you think they were planning that much detail?)

If this was done on purpose to lull people in then it clearly worked on people like me but not on you... that is interesting.
Zero tolerance. If ignore doesn't work then I will name and shame culprits.
farfromthe...
Mafia Boss

Postby chimaera » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:43 am

I was convinced she knew nothing about the disappearance. The only thing I did think odd was the amount of redness on the skin around her eyes...it looked contrived - as if make-up had been used to enhance the redness.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby miffed » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:32 am

miffed
On Parole

Postby onthefence » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:09 am

she had me fooled :oops:

i felt so sorry for her in the early days when the press brought up about the kids and different fathers..........i remember thinking "back off, she doesnt need or deserve this".

Now i think how heartless she really is.............if she was going to run off with the b/friend how (as a mum) can you pick 1 child to take with you??? was she really gonna go and leave the others behind? one of the kids is a toddler :cry:
onthefence
New In Town

Postby pink_panther » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:18 am

TI wrote:Karen certainly had me fooled. I thought in early news conferences that she was genuine.

I have to agree with you there.

Initially she looked shell-shocked even in the documentary she looked haggard.
pink_panther
You're Nicked

Next

Return to Shannon Matthews - 9yrs old - Missing Since 19th February 2008 - Found Alive 14th March 2008