Did Shannon know?

Shannon Matthews went missing on her way home from school on the 19th February 2008, Shannon lived in Dewsbury with her Mother and Step Father. Please discuss

UPDATE Shannon Matthews Found Alive 14th March 2008

Did Shannon know?

Postby ejm » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:27 am

One thing I can't get my head around about this, if it was a scam of some sort, is how they were going to explain Shannon being found. Shannon would have been able to tell the police everything about who abducted her, where she was kept, and how she was treated.

If the latest reports are to be believed, Karen Matthews and Michael Donovan were going to run off together, and I still think, that money was the motivating factor for Shannon's alleged abduction.

Did Shannon know that she was going to get taken, hidden, well cared for a short time, and afterwards, if she didn't tell anybody anything, about who she was with, or where she was, she could have anything she wanted? It's been a long time, since my children were her age, but could a 9 year old be bribed so successfully.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that she didn't take her normal route home from school that afternoon, was she told to go a different way? Am I thinking too much? :(
ejm
Local Lag

Re: Did Shannon know?

Postby chimaera » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:35 am

No - you are not thinking too much :)
I just hope Shannon did know, if this was all planned ahead. To be taken - and NOT know - would have been just too, too cruel.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby farfromthe... » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:36 am

There was also that story that she might havbe been seen sitting on a wall crying (those two boys) was that a false sighting?
Zero tolerance. If ignore doesn't work then I will name and shame culprits.
farfromthe...
Mafia Boss

Postby ejm » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:47 am

farfromthe... wrote:There was also that story that she might havbe been seen sitting on a wall crying (those two boys) was that a false sighting?

I remember reading that but don't know if it was true or not.
ejm
Local Lag

Postby KatieJordanPricePHD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:17 pm

No wonder she was laughing - she must have been expecting a full set of Bratz!
What's the point...ir..irm...you know...of go'n over thir like...when we can sit here go'n through the boxes and look'n at the labels we made...an like...ir...irm...you know like. I've gorra lorra shrugg'n an stuff to do av'n I...ay...ay...ay?
KatieJordanPricePHD
Been Cautioned

Postby Joanne » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Surely they wouldn't have told Shannon in advance? They couldn't run the risk of her not saying anything to one of her school-friends.

The whole thing just beggars belief.
Joanne
Suspect

Postby TeresaofAvila » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:02 am

Whether or not Shannon knew that there was some plot to make money from her alleged disappearance (if, indeed, this is so) in which she was required to act a part, it is still totally unacceptable to use a child in such a way - in any event, she is under the age of criminal responsibility, even if she does turn out to be a little scally, which i don't think, if the newspaper quotes are at all accurate:

"I don't want to go home. I have a pussycat. I love my pussycat"

- sounds more like a simple child who craves love and approval and will do whatever an "adult" tells her.

Shannon's life must have been sad beyond belief - and I say that as an ailurophile.
TeresaofAvila
Been Cautioned

Postby Helga » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:47 pm

I've been pondering this one too.... I think it miht have been like this:

She didn't know, but there was some kind of argument at home, hence the crying (maybe her mother told her that she and her (half) siblings were going to live somewhere else...maybe she liked her house/garden/bedroom whatever, and didn't want to leave, and maybe she didn't like Donovan)

So, maybe... at the outset, Donocan DID take her with a view to either untoward behaviour OR trying to accelerate the move and his new life with Karen Mathews. Whatever she's done since, when I watch that footage of Karen in the beginning, she looks like a mother truly frantic to me. Either that's the case or she's a damn good actor (unlikely to be the latter IMHO) THEN Donovan, or someone else in the family, realised there was money to be made. Hey presto. Weird and sad broken family becomes opportunity for hoax. Only this unfortunate group of people are not clever enough to drag it out over the best part of a year...
Helga
New In Town

Postby ejm » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:02 pm

TeresaofAvila wrote:Whether or not Shannon knew that there was some plot to make money from her alleged disappearance (if, indeed, this is so) in which she was required to act a part, it is still totally unacceptable to use a child in such a way - in any event, she is under the age of criminal responsibility, even if she does turn out to be a little scally, which i don't think, if the newspaper quotes are at all accurate:

"I don't want to go home. I have a pussycat. I love my pussycat"

- sounds more like a simple child who craves love and approval and will do whatever an "adult" tells her.

Shannon's life must have been sad beyond belief - and I say that as an ailurophile.

Knowing what was happening wouldn't have made her any less a victim at all.
ejm
Local Lag

Postby lindz07 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:58 pm

How many people do you think were in on the scam? I don't think Karen's parents knew about it IMO. Do you think Shannon's natural father knew? I don't think so.
lindz07

Postby celticcarla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:04 pm

lindz07 wrote:How many people do you think were in on the scam? I don't think Karen's parents knew about it IMO. Do you think Shannon's natural father knew? I don't think so.

No i dont think her dad knew about it at all, remember the footage of him searching for her :( :( :( the rest of them have been caught up in a game way beyond their abilities and i actually feel sorry for them because imo its poverty and lack of intellectthat made them think it could be done.
"We have a pact. This is our matter only. It is nobody else's business", says David Payne.
Gonçalo Amaral promises to clarify "all the lies created"
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Postby lindz07 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:08 pm

celticcarla wrote:
lindz07 wrote:How many people do you think were in on the scam? I don't think Karen's parents knew about it IMO. Do you think Shannon's natural father knew? I don't think so.

No i dont think her dad knew about it at all, remember the footage of him searching for her :( :( :( the rest of them have been caught up in a game way beyond their abilities and i actually feel sorry for them because imo its poverty and lack of intellectthat made them think it could be done.

Completely agree with you Celticcarla. Can't understand how they all thought they would get away with it. I think Karen's friend knew about it. Why would she be standing my her after all that has happened. The police have said there will probably be more arrests to follow. Poor Shannon, what a life she obviously had, I hope her natural father gets custody of her.
lindz07

Postby bonnybraes1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I really don't think her real dad had an inkling what was going on.
However....I remember watching the Press Conference and thinking there was something off-key about her mother. I did not, however, think it could be as bad as it seems to be.
Whether Shannon knew or not is irrelevant to me. She's just a child, and God knows what she was told, or what her life has been like.
I hope that, if anything good has come out of this, it is to give the Matthews children a chance to get away from such a hellish existence.
bonnybraes1

Postby Carrie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:38 pm

We were talking about this in the staff room today, and saying that at least Shannon has a dad who wants her - whereas little Courtney has both her mum and dad in custody - I can't see her ever being reunited with them.

And now the police are appealing for calm on the estate because emotions are running so high.

I just can't understand how they thought this was going to be resolved - did they really think they could carry this off? A nine year old would easily breakdown during questioning - unless, of course, they were planning for Shannon never to return? It doesn't bear thinking about.

Hopefully all those kids have a happier future ahead of them now.
Justice for Maddie
Carrie
Been Cautioned

Postby miffed » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:04 am

Carrie wrote:I just can't understand how they thought this was going to be resolved - did they really think they could carry this off? A nine year old would easily breakdown during questioning - unless, of course, they were planning for Shannon never to return? It doesn't bear thinking about.

I can't help but think along those lines! Maybe they went into this without thinking it through! Then when the crunch time came, they may have had to reconsider whether Shannon was an asset or a liability! I can't see any them going through with such a dark deed, but desperate times can call for desperate measures! I do believe Shannon was possibly saved from terrible possibilities!
miffed
On Parole

Next

Return to Shannon Matthews - 9yrs old - Missing Since 19th February 2008 - Found Alive 14th March 2008