Matthews 'told friends she knew where Shannon was from start

Shannon Matthews went missing on her way home from school on the 19th February 2008, Shannon lived in Dewsbury with her Mother and Step Father. Please discuss

UPDATE Shannon Matthews Found Alive 14th March 2008

Matthews 'told friends she knew where Shannon was from start

Postby DrachenSachen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 pm

From The Times
April 8, 2008

Karen Matthews 'told friends she knew where Shannon was from start'

The Shannon Matthews saga took an extraordinary twist yesterday when it was claimed that the schoolgirl's mother may have been fully aware of the identity of her daughter's alleged kidnapper.

A source has told The Times that Karen Matthews, 32, admitted to close friends that she had known where the eight-year-old was being held "from day one".

During the 24-day search for Shannon, who went missing in February as she walked home from her primary school, Ms Matthews made a series of tearful pleas for the safe return of her daughter.

They were said to have turned into tears of joy last month when Shannon was found safe and well after police forced entry to a flat one mile from the family's home in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire.

Last night Ms Matthews was being questioned in custody after her arrest on Sunday night on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

Michael Donovan, 39, the uncle of Ms Matthews's boyfriend, Craig Meehan, has been charged with Shannon's kidnapping and false imprisonment.

The girl's mother has now confessed, according to the source, that she had known that he was holding her daughter. She is also said to have admitted that, before Shannon's disappearance, she had been planning to end her relationship with 22-year-old Mr Meehan and had intended to move in with Mr Donovan.

The Times has been told that Ms Matthews met two of her friends recently and was questioned by them about alleged inconsistencies in her account of the disappearance.

One is said to have accused Ms Matthews of lying and to have bluntly asked her whether she had known where Shannon was "all along".

Ms Matthews allegedly nodded and said "yes", the source said. She is then said to have started crying and shaking uncontrollably.

The friend said: "She said she knew where Shannon was from day one. She wanted to leave Craig, and Donovan had previously offered her a place to stay. They'd talked about it at the funeral of Craig's father in December.

"She had wanted to leave Craig but she lost her bottle at the last minute. She had not asked him [Mr Donovan] to take Shannon, but he acted impulsively."

Ms Matthews is said to have told her friends that as the hours after her daughter's disappearance turned into days, "everything got out of control and she didn't know how to stop it" because she was too ashamed to tell the truth.

Mr Donovan, a former computer programmer, is understood to have maintained from the day of his arrest that other members of Shannon's family, including the girl's mother, had known that she was with him.

Detectives believed initially that his allegations were a fabricated attempt to reduce his own culpability, but they will now investigate whether the picture is more complex. Mr Meehan, a supermarket fishmonger, was arrested last Wednesday and has been charged with possessing indecent images of children on his computer.

Two days later his mother and his sister, Mr Donovan's sister and niece, were arrested in connection with Shannon's disappearance.

His sister, Amanda Hyett, 25, who lives next door to Ms Matthews, was held on suspicion of assisting an offender, and his mother, Alice Meehan, 49, was arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice. Both women were released on bail later.

It is understood that after last week's arrests the focus of the inquiry, which still involves 60 detectives and more than 200 uniformed officers, turned firmly in the direction of Ms Matthews.

Detectives want to know whether Ms Matthews, who has seven children by five different fathers, was having an affair with Mr Donovan, an allegation made by Mrs Hyett, before Shannon went missing.

The inquiry team is also seeking to establish whether money was a motivating factor for any of those involved in the girl's disappearance.

Police have been told that family members made contact with supporters of the Madeleine McCann appeal and requested a large cash donation to assist them in their search for Shannon.

Officers are also looking into suggestions that the inspiration for a fake kidnapping may have been provided by an episode of the popular Channel 4 comedy drama Shameless, which was broadcast a few weeks before Shannon was reported missing.

In the show, about a large, dysfunctional family living on an impoverished council estate, a mock abduction of the youngest member of the family, Liam, is staged by his elder sister, who uses an intermediary to demand £500,000 for his safe return.

Mr Donovan, who is due to stand trial in November, cut his wrists on Saturday night in Leeds Prison, where he is being held on remand.

A Prison Service spokesman said: "A prisoner from Leeds was taken to an outside hospital overnight following a case of serious self-harm. The prisoner has now been returned to HMP Leeds."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 701834.ece
Live Radio und Web-TV aus allen Ländern

http://www.surfmusik.de/
DrachenSachen
On Parole

Re: Matthews 'told friends she knew where Shannon was from start

Postby coral » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:27 pm

"Police have been told that family members made contact with supporters of the Madeleine McCann appeal and requested a large cash donation to assist them in their search for Shannon."

Mmmmm, wonder what the answer would have been eh? :roll:
coral
Local Lag

Postby turkeylurkey » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:34 pm

DrachenSachen wrote:From The Times
April 8, 2008

Officers are also looking into suggestions that the inspiration for a fake kidnapping may have been provided by an episode of the popular Channel 4 comedy drama Shameless, which was broadcast a few weeks before Shannon was reported missing.

In the show, about a large, dysfunctional family living on an impoverished council estate, a mock abduction of the youngest member of the family, Liam, is staged by his elder sister, who uses an intermediary to demand £500,000 for his safe return.

Now that is the funny bit - just by chance they may have watched this episode of Shameless! Has everyone forgotten the relentless coverage of the McCanns who have ker-chinged big style since the disappearance of their daughter?

Priceless!
turkeylurkey
New In Town

Postby shoperoo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:44 pm

So Karen Matthews was not telling all she knew when Shannon went missing.
I think this might be down to her choice of boyfriends rather than any criminal scam. She aint the sharpest of people and maybe was too afraid to tell her toyboy live in lover that she was having it off with his Uncle.
shoperoo
First Time Offender

Postby cushty » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 pm

I have a feeling she thought Shannon had gone missing when she first contacted the police, but then found out where she was and didn't tell the police, because of her connection with Sheehan
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby blondie2 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:07 pm

coral wrote:"Police have been told that family members made contact with supporters of the Madeleine McCann appeal and requested a large cash donation to assist them in their search for Shannon."

Mmmmm, wonder what the answer would have been eh? :roll:

......L>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Unbelievable!! It's like the twilight zone. One loses all sense of reality!!That bi tch Karen!! No wonder her daughter doesn't want to go home!
blondie2
Mafia Boss

The Times 8/4 Karen Matthews 'told friends she knew where Sh

Postby Dinks » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:33 pm

If this article is true, then i am truly shocked, i really didn't suspect Karen was involved :shock:

The Shannon Matthews saga took an extraordinary twist yesterday when it was claimed that the schoolgirl's mother may have been fully aware of the identity of her daughter's alleged kidnapper.

A source has told The Times that Karen Matthews, 32, admitted to close friends that she had known where the eight-year-old was being held "from day one".

During the 24-day search for Shannon, who went missing in February as she walked home from her primary school, Ms Matthews made a series of tearful pleas for the safe return of her daughter.

They were said to have turned into tears of joy last month when Shannon was found safe and well after police forced entry to a flat one mile from the family's home in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire.

Related Links
Neighbours who stood by watch it fall apart
Last night Ms Matthews was being questioned in custody after her arrest on Sunday night on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

Michael Donovan, 39, the uncle of Ms Matthews's boyfriend, Craig Meehan, has been charged with Shannon's kidnapping and false imprisonment.

The girl's mother has now confessed, according to the source, that she had known that he was holding her daughter. She is also said to have admitted that, before Shannon's disappearance, she had been planning to end her relationship with 22-year-old Mr Meehan and had intended to move in with Mr Donovan.

The Times has been told that Ms Matthews met two of her friends recently and was questioned by them about alleged inconsistencies in her account of the disappearance.

One is said to have accused Ms Matthews of lying and to have bluntly asked her whether she had known where Shannon was "all along".

Ms Matthews allegedly nodded and said "yes", the source said. She is then said to have started crying and shaking uncontrollably.

The friend said: "She said she knew where Shannon was from day one. She wanted to leave Craig, and Donovan had previously offered her a place to stay. They'd talked about it at the funeral of Craig's father in December.

"She had wanted to leave Craig but she lost her bottle at the last minute. She had not asked him [Mr Donovan] to take Shannon, but he acted impulsively."

Ms Matthews is said to have told her friends that as the hours after her daughter's disappearance turned into days, "everything got out of control and she didn't know how to stop it" because she was too ashamed to tell the truth.

Mr Donovan, a former computer programmer, is understood to have maintained from the day of his arrest that other members of Shannon's family, including the girl's mother, had known that she was with him.

Detectives believed initially that his allegations were a fabricated attempt to reduce his own culpability, but they will now investigate whether the picture is more complex. Mr Meehan, a supermarket fishmonger, was arrested last Wednesday and has been charged with possessing indecent images of children on his computer.

Two days later his mother and his sister, Mr Donovan's sister and niece, were arrested in connection with Shannon's disappearance.

His sister, Amanda Hyett, 25, who lives next door to Ms Matthews, was held on suspicion of assisting an offender, and his mother, Alice Meehan, 49, was arrested on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice. Both women were released on bail later.

It is understood that after last week's arrests the focus of the inquiry, which still involves 60 detectives and more than 200 uniformed officers, turned firmly in the direction of Ms Matthews.

Detectives want to know whether Ms Matthews, who has seven children by five different fathers, was having an affair with Mr Donovan, an allegation made by Mrs Hyett, before Shannon went missing.

The inquiry team is also seeking to establish whether money was a motivating factor for any of those involved in the girl's disappearance.

Police have been told that family members made contact with supporters of the Madeleine McCann appeal and requested a large cash donation to assist them in their search for Shannon.

Mr Donovan, who is due to stand trial in November, cut his wrists on Saturday night in Leeds Prison, where he is being held on remand.

A Prison Service spokesman said: "A prisoner from Leeds was taken to an outside hospital overnight following a case of serious self-harm. The prisoner has now been returned to HMP Leeds."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 701834.ece
Dinks
New In Town

Postby somthinfishie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm

After this Karen Mathews should be prevented from having contact with Shannon,I`m disgusted.~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby Monkeyman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 pm

I think she should be kept well away from that family, let her have a chance of a normal life well away from them all, if she wanted to be with a kitten rather than her mum says it all to me, maybe thats why she was so upset after school, maybe she was told she would not be going home that night if it was all planned,

Read earlier reports of other family members convicted of offences against children very large family thats why this as been delved into.

Also on questioning , Shannon thought it was her natural dad who carried her from the house

The only chance Shannon has is do not return her to this family
Monkeyman
Suspect

Postby Miss Take » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:21 am

Whatever the story is, it's a sad one, truly very sad.

I only hope that little Shannon hasn't suffered in vein. Other kids have touched our hearts and changed the way we view society, from the top of my head, little James Bulger and Jessica and Holly. I hope that this sends out the message that kids need watching and that reporting anything odd isn't wrong or bad, it's about the kids.

I don't understand this though. Am I right in thinking that Karen Matthews has a half-sister who shares an uncle with her partner?
"While it may be hugely entertaining and a bit of fun to think of cast lists, we are a million miles away from that sort of thing."

Miss Take
First Time Offender

Postby icesugar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:36 am

I am not so much in shock by these revelations, but rather perplexed.

How on earth is it possible for this woman (Karen) to continue her disgusting lifestyle (bed-hopping) at the cost of the tax payer. I have said it before and I shall repeat myself, these kind of people have no self-worth, and we all know that you cannot value others unless you value yourself. She has no respect for herself or anyone around her.

Personally I believe that everyone should pay their own way, and perhaps this is a time to limit government housing to those who have disabilities, or for those who need a temporary fix. Everyone else can go to work and pay rent. Britian is dragging itself down.

I cannot imagine that Karen was too 'embarrassed' to come clean after she found out where Shannon was. She has no morals. And that is that.

I think the police should stop the investigation and just charge them all for whatever it is they can, and save some money. Or, release them onto Dewsbury Moor........
'Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt.'
icesugar
New In Town

Postby Jennyfowler » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:37 am

Re Housing and Benefits.

Yes I agree I pay taxes and work and have done so all my life. But I also know the terrible h istory of this country and others are still like it like India untouchables.

We struggeled from dirt floors and slums and the most terrible living conditions for the ordinary peoples in this country.

We are sleep walking into shanty towns and overcrowded slums - our area in Edmonton took the overspill of Slums in the Eastend of London in about 1930. Just what are we advocating here a return to those times. The diseases that breed in those slums will affect the rich and famous and tax payers equally.

I know this benefits system may be wrong but doyou taxpayers want a return to fetid slums and workhouses for the most of us. It could be you or I that slips into arrears and instead of help. work house. I dont want those terrible days to return.

What we need are jobs for 16 year olds like we used to have. I went staight into a job for polytechic. Would this be possible now - no. I had choices of loads of jobs. Out of one into another. Temp work available. Then we decided to stop 16 year olds working and put them back into school and the university stints started. Then we made that payment only and debts. We need some sort of hope of work and housing at the time when a lot of kids want it from16. I can remember girls my age with houses and kids and lovely prams. If you wanted it at 16 you got a job and got it. sorry for yet anotehr long post. Look at the history in this country. Read a bit of Dickens.
Jennyfowler
New In Town

Postby Joanne » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:52 am

Why would she leave Craig though? Why not just tell him to leave? Donovan's flat only had one bedroom so was her original plan to go alone and not take her kids with her. And, if she wanted to leave the Estate why not just request a transfer from the Council?

How can anyone think that they can do something like this and get away with it?
Joanne
Suspect

Postby icesugar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:20 am

I also cannot believe that she would leave her home and move into that small flat....(I think it is a 2 bedroomed, not sure though, just read it somewhere).
Something is wrong with this whole thing.
As usual, there will be more crushing news to add to this story, give it time, and more arrests. If we are shocked now, imagine how much more they can shock us.
'Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt.'
icesugar
New In Town

Postby Joanne » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 am

I wonder how they planned the finding of Shannon?

The whole scam (if it was a scam, although it's certainly looking like one) couldn't have been planned to end with the Police smashing down the door of the flat and rescuing Shannon. When they told Karen that they had found her daughter her true reaction must have been one of fear and dread rather than "the happiest moment of her life".
Joanne
Suspect

Next

Return to Shannon Matthews - 9yrs old - Missing Since 19th February 2008 - Found Alive 14th March 2008