Shannon Matthews kidnap 'may have been cash stunt'

Shannon Matthews went missing on her way home from school on the 19th February 2008, Shannon lived in Dewsbury with her Mother and Step Father. Please discuss

UPDATE Shannon Matthews Found Alive 14th March 2008

Postby Impartial » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:25 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 689998.ece

David Leppard

DETECTIVES investigating the disappearance of nine-year-old Shannon Matthews are examining the mobile telephone records of her family amid suspicions that the abduction may have been designed as a stunt to gain money from the media.

Sources close to the West Yorkshire police inquiry say they expect more developments in the increasingly bizarre case.

The mother and sister of Shannon's stepfather have been released this weekend on police bail after being questioned about the Dewsbury schoolgirl's 24-day abduction. Alice Meehan, 49, and Amanda Hyett, 25, were arrested on Friday.

Hyett was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender while her mother was held on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The two women were arrested after they were due to meet police to discuss the case of Shannon's stepfather Craig Meehan.

He was charged last week with possessing 130 indecent images of children. The images were found on a computer seized from the home Meehan shared with Shannon and her mother Karen Matthews, 32.

Michael Donovan, 39, a computer programmer, who is the uncle of Hyett and Craig Meehan, has been charged with Shannon's kidnap and false imprisonment.

When he was arrested Alice Meehan told reporters: "I can't believe he had Shannon - my own brother. It feels like he has brought shame on our family."

Shannon went missing while walking home from a school swimming lesson. She was discovered three weeks later in the base of a divan bed at a flat one mile from her home.

Police had mounted an investigation involving hundreds of officers and a team of 60 detectives in an attempt to find her.

Detectives are examining phone and e-mail records this weekend to see whether they support claims by Donovan that some family members colluded with him in Shannon's kidnap.

He has reportedly told police that Karen and Meehan, 22, may have both been involved in the girl's disappearance.

Police have officially said that although Karen has been questioned she is not being treated as a suspect.

A senior officer said: "Donovan has been claiming that other members of the family were involved. These may just be lies, but we would not be doing our job properly if we did not investigate these claims thoroughly."

A key line of inquiry is to establish the degree of contact members of Shannon's close family had with Donovan while he was alleged to be holding Shannon in his flat.

Sources said there is evidence of mobile phone contact during this period, but it is unclear whether these alleged calls and text messages point to evidence of collusion.

There is also growing concern about the impact further disclosures may have on residents of the estate where Shannon lived. Many spent long days and nights taking part in the search for her.

One official said: "The suggestion is that [the family] may have been in collusion as part of a plan to get money from the media. If it does turn out that this apparent kidnap was a stunt, a lot of people on the estate are going to get very upset."

Karen was reported yesterday to have received death threats and has gone into hiding.

She is now believed to have ended the relationship with Meehan, father of one of her seven children.

The estate has been described privately by criminal justice officials as one of the most deprived and dysfunctional in Britain.

Tensions were high during the period of Shannon's kidnap. In a bizarre incident, a 43-year-old man who lives near Shannon's family was said to have been abducted, then crucified by being nailed to two pieces of wood and then nailed to a tree.

Although police have ruled out any connection with the Shannon case, detectives fear such cases betray an undercurrent of violence that could be further disturbed if more unsettling developments emerge in the inquiry. Additional reporting: Anna Mikhailova
All my posts are based on the fact that Kate and Gerry were made arguidos - on suspicion of concealment of the corpse and simulation of the crime of abduction (JdN)
Impartial
Hardened Criminal

Re: Shannon Matthews kidnap 'may have been cash stunt'

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Doesn't surprise, was expecting something along those lines.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Impartial » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:30 pm

I do like the bit about examining mobile phone records...

So the uncle named Karen as well...

They tried a proper McCann... allegedly...
All my posts are based on the fact that Kate and Gerry were made arguidos - on suspicion of concealment of the corpse and simulation of the crime of abduction (JdN)
Impartial
Hardened Criminal

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Impartial wrote:I do like the bit about examining mobile phone records...

So the uncle named Karen as well...

They tried a proper McCann... allegedly...

:lol: :lol: yeah nice to see little digs in the press.
Problem with this lot is they didn't have the intelligence or protection to pull it off. Just goes to show though when the s h i t hits the fan pigs will squeal.......... :lol:
"If anyone can, the mccanns can"
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Joanne » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:35 pm

How could they be so stupid as to think that they could possibly get away with it though?

Even if Shannon had been dumped somewhere when they decided to end the scam they must have realised that the Police would want to talk to her. You can't rely on a 9 year old to say what you want them to say and she would have been able to identify the man whose flat she was in as she saw him at a family funeral shortly before she went missing. She also knew the 2 women who have since been arrested so, had they been to the flat at all she would be able to name them to the Police as well.

I don't discount the scam for cash theory but really don't see how they thought they could pull it off.
Joanne
Suspect

Postby Impartial » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:38 pm

Joanne wrote:How could they be so stupid as to think that they could possibly get away with it though?

They cant help it?
Impartial
Hardened Criminal

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Joanne wrote:How could they be so stupid as to think that they could possibly get away with it though?

Even if Shannon had been dumped somewhere when they decided to end the scam they must have realised that the Police would want to talk to her. You can't rely on a 9 year old to say what you want them to say and she would have been able to identify the man whose flat she was in as she saw him at a family funeral shortly before she went missing. She also knew the 2 women who have since been arrested so, had they been to the flat at all she would be able to name them to the Police as well.

I don't discount the scam for cash theory but really don't see how they thought they could pull it off.

perhaps she had been promised a pc of her own........ :lol: :lol:

seriously you would be surprised at how canny some kids are.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

The Times 6/04 Shannon Matthews kidnap 'may have been cash s

Postby Dinks » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:12 pm

The article below maybe of interest to a few forum members who have suggested shannon's disappearance was a stunt for cash, i don't think it has already been posted.

DETECTIVES investigating the disappearance of nine-year-old Shannon Matthews are examining the mobile telephone records of her family amid suspicions that the abduction may have been designed as a stunt to gain money from the media.

Sources close to the West Yorkshire police inquiry say they expect more developments in the increasingly bizarre case.

The mother and sister of Shannon's stepfather have been released this weekend on police bail after being questioned about the Dewsbury schoolgirl's 24-day abduction. Alice Meehan, 49, and Amanda Hyett, 25, were arrested on Friday.

Hyett was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender while her mother was held on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The two women were arrested after they were due to meet police to discuss the case of Shannon's stepfather Craig Meehan.

He was charged last week with possessing 130 indecent images of children. The images were found on a computer seized from the home Meehan shared with Shannon and her mother Karen Matthews, 32.

Michael Donovan, 39, a computer programmer, who is the uncle of Hyett and Craig Meehan, has been charged with Shannon's kidnap and false imprisonment.

When he was arrested Alice Meehan told reporters: "I can't believe he had Shannon - my own brother. It feels like he has brought shame on our family."

Shannon went missing while walking home from a school swimming lesson. She was discovered three weeks later in the base of a divan bed at a flat one mile from her home.

Police had mounted an investigation involving hundreds of officers and a team of 60 detectives in an attempt to find her.

Detectives are examining phone and e-mail records this weekend to see whether they support claims by Donovan that some family members colluded with him in Shannon's kidnap.

He has reportedly told police that Karen and Meehan, 22, may have both been involved in the girl's disappearance.

Police have officially said that although Karen has been questioned she is not being treated as a suspect.

A senior officer said: "Donovan has been claiming that other members of the family were involved. These may just be lies, but we would not be doing our job properly if we did not investigate these claims thoroughly."

A key line of inquiry is to establish the degree of contact members of Shannon's close family had with Donovan while he was alleged to be holding Shannon in his flat.

Sources said there is evidence of mobile phone contact during this period, but it is unclear whether these alleged calls and text messages point to evidence of collusion.

There is also growing concern about the impact further disclosures may have on residents of the estate where Shannon lived. Many spent long days and nights taking part in the search for her.

One official said: "The suggestion is that [the family] may have been in collusion as part of a plan to get money from the media. If it does turn out that this apparent kidnap was a stunt, a lot of people on the estate are going to get very upset."

Karen was reported yesterday to have received death threats and has gone into hiding.

She is now believed to have ended the relationship with Meehan, father of one of her seven children.

The estate has been described privately by criminal justice officials as one of the most deprived and dysfunctional in Britain.

Tensions were high during the period of Shannon's kidnap. In a bizarre incident, a 43-year-old man who lives near Shannon's family was said to have been abducted, then crucified by being nailed to two pieces of wood and then nailed to a tree.

Although police have ruled out any connection with the Shannon case, detectives fear such cases betray an undercurrent of violence that could be further disturbed if more unsettling developments emerge in the inquiry. Additional reporting: Anna Mikhailova

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 689998.ece
Dinks
New In Town

Re: The Times 6/04 Shannon Matthews kidnap 'may have been cash s

Postby mexx » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:17 pm

How would a Europe-wide alert system have helped Shannon?
mexx
On Parole

Postby DrachenSachen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Live Radio und Web-TV aus allen Ländern

http://www.surfmusik.de/
DrachenSachen
On Parole

Postby cushty » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:44 pm

I wonder if Channel 4 had suspicions when they made that documentary - they very prominently displayed a notice at the end to say Matthews and Meehan had received no payment for it
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby ELR » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:33 am

I think the McCann's have set a nice "example" on how to PROFIT hugely from the disappearance of a child. Not only set up a Fund for those high profile celeb's offering money but then trademark your child's name, her eye defect (LOOK logo) and favorite stuffed animal & create T-shirt's and wristbands to further sell and profit from. This has been the most disgusting and blatant act of turning a missing child into a commodity. The Fund and website having "Best Selling Item's" was where my opinion really changed.
:blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:
ELR
New In Town

Postby janz1956 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:41 am

no shock to me whatsoever, its what a lot of us suspected from day 1. :roll:

unfortunately for them Shannon is old enough to talk.......she was obviously not happy at home to start with. IMO

How many more will try the scam? This is what the Mccanns have started..how many more kids will be used to try and make millions???? Every time a child goes missing now people are going to have suspicions.

Lets hope the Pj do their job this week and show people just what happens when they get caught.

Fingers and everything else crossed for some results shortly
"Day 329: 27/03/2008..........
Kate and I arrived back from Washington yesterday."
-----------------------------------------
Pity it wasnt Portugal. Go answer the bl**dy questions, She was your baby, remember?
janz1956
Global Moderator

Postby fedrules » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:43 am

Notice the BBC now talk about an alleged abduction..
fedrules
Mafia Boss

Postby jue » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:04 pm

i just hope karen dont get the children back people like her shouldnt be aloud to have them
jue
New In Town

Next

Return to Shannon Matthews - 9yrs old - Missing Since 19th February 2008 - Found Alive 14th March 2008