MAIN THREAD - Shannon Matthews

Shannon Matthews went missing on her way home from school on the 19th February 2008, Shannon lived in Dewsbury with her Mother and Step Father. Please discuss

UPDATE Shannon Matthews Found Alive 14th March 2008

Re: MAIN THREAD - Shannon Matthews

Postby just cooking » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Saying a prayer for little Shannon and hope she is soon found safe and well.x
just cooking
First Time Offender

Postby cazzacazza » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Today's news as reported in my local paper...... they are linking Shannon's disappearance to the Amber Alert system.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-we ... -20603573/

Step-dad 'never laid finger on Shannon'
Mar 11 2008 by Andrew Hirst, Huddersfield Daily Examiner

THE family of missing Dewsbury nine-year-old Shannon Matthews today welcomed an increased reward in the hope of a breakthrough in the search for her.

Now Shannon's father, Leon Rose, 29, has said he wants everyone in Britain "looking for our little princess".

The Sun newspaper has more than doubled its previous offer, from £20,000 to £50,000.

Mr Rose, of Kirkburton, said: "No-one can imagine the agonies we are going through.

"She is a wonderful daughter and we need her home.

"We are desperate to have her back and we thank The Sun for helping."

Shannon's mother, Karen Matthews, 32, and stepfather Craig Meehan, 22, were also "really thankful".

Mr Meehan has denied any involvement in his stepdaughter's disappearance. He said he had "never laid a finger on her", insisting he and Shannon had a brilliant relationship.

He added: "I've never hit Karen or any of the children. We play about, as you do, but have a brilliant relationship.''

There have been no confirmed sightings of Shannon since she left Westmoor Junior School in Dewsbury at 3.10pm on February 19, following a school swimming trip.

Mr Meehan reacted angrily to suggestions from Shannon's uncle, Martin Matthews, and grandmother, June Matthews, that he had hit her.

Mr Matthews said nine-year-old Shannon had begged to stay at his home the day before she vanished after an argument with Mr Meehan.

Mr Meehan lives with Ms Matthews, who has also denied he has had any involvement in his stepdaughter's disappearance.

Ms Matthews dismissed the allegations made over the weekend, calling them rubbish.

A big police operation and searches by family and friends have so far failed to find any trace of Shannon.

Meanwhile, a member of the European Parliament reckons Shannon could have been found had the British Government implemented an early alert scheme.

Edward McMillan-Scott, Tory Euro-MP for Yorkshire and the Humber, is pressing the French government – which takes over the EU presidency in July – for a Europe-wide network to improve the search for the 130,000 children in the UK who go missing every year.

He said: "It's time for Britain to follow the US example and set up a fully-funded national missing child hotline to supplement the patchy schemes we already have.

"This should be connected to the growing European network. If we do this as a matter of urgency we may help the next child that goes missing."

The hotline would be based on the American Amber Alert, scheme which has had a near 100% success rate in recovering hundreds of missing children since 2002.

About 80% of children are found within the crucial first 72 hours.

Mr McMillan-Scott believes that, based on this evidence, Shannon could have been found within hours of her disappearance.

The scheme would go into action once a child under the age of 18 goes missing, along with a detailed description of them and any description of potential abductors.

The scheme would include an immediate alert on radio, TV, motorway gantries, ports and airports. Mr McMillan-Scott said a similar pioneering scheme is in operation in France, with a 100% success rate.
cazzacazza
New In Town

Postby MoeSzyslak » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 pm

If you check out the Amber alert website, and go through the cases, almost all have been found. I think it's amazing. Check out how many are recovered:

http://www.codeamber.org/prev_alerts.html

I remember when I would drive on the highways back home in the States, I live in the UK now, you would see the electronic noticeboard above you, spanning the road, displaying any info on an amber alert. It's just so sensible, and so simple. Considering how many people travel on the highways, including a lot of the perpetrators, disseminating that vital information as widely and quickly as possible is so important.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby icesugar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:10 am

I am having difficulty looking at this entire case objectively. The mother has had so many relationships, and worst still, offspring from all of them. Her house is a shite heap with peeling paint and c*** all over the place. Assuming the step father was 'harsh' towards Shannon, then all in all it would have been a nasty over crowded place to lay ones hat.

I understand that not everyone has 'it all' and education and wealth are hard for some to attain, but I have a friend who is a divorced mum of 5 and she manages to keep her home looking warm and clean. She would never dream of embarking on a 'serious' relationship until her children are much older and she walks them to school and back every day.

Where did Shannon try to go to that day (she obviously was not going home)? And why are the police so certain that she is still in that immediate area? I hope that by some miracle there is an amazingly happy result to this story.
'Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt.'
icesugar
New In Town

Postby Elifun » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 am

icesugar wrote:I am having difficulty looking at this entire case objectively. The mother has had so many relationships, and worst still, offspring from all of them. Her house is a shite heap with peeling paint and c*** all over the place. Assuming the step father was 'harsh' towards Shannon, then all in all it would have been a nasty over crowded place to lay ones hat.

I understand that not everyone has 'it all' and education and wealth are hard for some to attain, but I have a friend who is a divorced mum of 5 and she manages to keep her home looking warm and clean. She would never dream of embarking on a 'serious' relationship until her children are much older and she walks them to school and back every day.

Where did Shannon try to go to that day (she obviously was not going home)? And why are the police so certain that she is still in that immediate area? I hope that by some miracle there is an amazingly happy result to this story.

Well let's hope you are not in any profession where you have to be objective and there are a lot of them (police, social workers etc) even if they do find it hard not to be judgmental at times.
Elifun
Suspect

Postby Elifun » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:27 pm

The mother seems very convinced someone has taken Shannon to get back at her :( I wonder if she knows something or is being paranoid.

ARTICLE
Girl 'taken to hurt mother'
The mother of missing West Yorkshire schoolgirl Shannon Matthews said she believes someone she knows snatched her daughter to hurt her.

Karen Matthews, 32, said that she is convinced Shannon was abducted in Dewsbury after returning from a school swimming trip on February 19.

But the mother-of-seven said she does not know who could have taken the nine-year-old and appealed for her return.
Elifun
Suspect

Postby diddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:02 pm

That doesn't make much sense, does it?
I mean it's usually what you'd say when you have someone in mind?
Or know you're in trouble with some really bad people?

Being awful here, but how long was it before Holy and Jessica were found?
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby azrael72 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:17 pm

they were found 2 weeks later.....

i knew huntley had done it the minute i saw him.....i said it to my o/h....... :cry:

is there anyone people are suspious about in this case...?
and what has shannons mum done, that she thinks someone would take her child as pay back......?
azrael72
Been Cautioned

Postby icesugar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Hmm...when the boyfriend was being interviewed, he was defending himself and saying that it was rubbish regarding ever hitting Shannon, but he also said that he and Karen were doing 'their bit' to help find her. What does 'their bit' mean?
'Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt.'
icesugar
New In Town

Postby Whatever » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:27 pm

There's something about this 'tickling fight' and 'playing about' that is bothering me. As stand alone comments they could be innocent, but in the context of defending against an accusation of abuse, it stinks to me. 'We play about' is as if to say, 'Well, yeah - we play fight and engage in rough and tumble, but I don't hurt her'. Why would anyone say that? and What sort of adult 'plays about' with kids like this? Siblings fight, but parents and kids? I don't know. Dad's and sons maybe? I don't know.

If these stories are true, that Shannon was terrified to go home etc, it's tragic that no-one took her seriously. We bring kids up to 'tell an adult' and then look what happens. Poor little girl. It's not looking good at all.
'okay, we've tried really hard and we've come up with nothing' - K. McCann
Whatever
Hardened Criminal

Postby diddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm still wondering about the uncle.
Was he the last to see her?
And there is only his word that she went to him terrified to go home-but he sent her off anyway?
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby icesugar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:14 pm

I thought the uncle saw her the day before, and his own daughter walked Shannon home. According to his daughter, Shannon cried all the way home. She was seen the next day (on cctv) coming out of the swimming baths.
icesugar
New In Town

Postby diddy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:24 pm

icesugar wrote:I thought the uncle saw her the day before, and his own daughter walked Shannon home. According to his daughter, Shannon cried all the way home. She was seen the next day (on cctv) coming out of the swimming baths.

Ah, thanks!
And I think a lot of relatives houses have been searched?
Her being 9, I can't help thinking of Holly and Jessica.
Also, how many of the other fathers or their friends did she know?
Well, I'm sure that's all being looked at.
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby just cooking » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:34 pm

Hoping Shannon is found safe and well but each day that passes it sadly seems more unlikely. x
just cooking
First Time Offender

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Whatever wrote:There's something about this 'tickling fight' and 'playing about' that is bothering me. As stand alone comments they could be innocent, but in the context of defending against an accusation of abuse, it stinks to me. 'We play about' is as if to say, 'Well, yeah - we play fight and engage in rough and tumble, but I don't hurt her'. Why would anyone say that? and What sort of adult 'plays about' with kids like this? Siblings fight, but parents and kids? I don't know. Dad's and sons maybe? I don't know.

If these stories are true, that Shannon was terrified to go home etc, it's tragic that no-one took her seriously. We bring kids up to 'tell an adult' and then look what happens. Poor little girl. It's not looking good at all.

Totally agree, all this bothers me too.
Harriet
Suspect

PreviousNext

Return to Shannon Matthews - 9yrs old - Missing Since 19th February 2008 - Found Alive 14th March 2008