Kuwait

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Kuwait

Postby mrsgaz » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:33 pm

I lived in Kuwait for 16 years in a town called Ahmadi. My father worked for Kuwait Oil Company and we had company accomodation.
School was from 8am to 1pm and if the air conditioning was not working, school was cancelled.
School was by the sea and we frequently swam in the sea for PE and dried off walking back to class. During Ramadan all the Muslim children were separated from the non-Muslims at lunchtime. I could speak Arabic, French and English by the time I was 5, plus a bit of Hindi (the cook was Indian).
The weekends were Thursday and Friday - the dads would take the kids to the pool on Thursdays and the whole family would go the beach on Fridays. I got stung by a jellyfish very badly one day and, once treated, got free ice cream and drinks in the clubhouse for being brave!

Life was totally different to the UK. We would come home from school on Sundays and then go to Sunday School and the multi-denominational church in the town. The golf course had 'browns' rather than greens and you had to watch put for all sorts of creatures in the rough. Hockey, football and rugby were all played on sand pitches. We went shopping at the souk (in reality was just ordinary shops - no haggling). Several of us were lucky enough to have pools in the gardens: ours was just paddling pool depth but still very nice.

Unpleasant creatures there were camel spiders and horned vipers - oh yes and scorpions. My mother had the dubious honour of being one of only about 5 people (then) that had been stung in the house. She was in hospital for 3 days as it was a dangerous scorpion. She still almost has a 'spiderman' type sesnse of when scorions are about.

We had left Kuwait well before the invasion but I saw several people I knew on the TV on the Virgin flight out (thanks Richard!). My school was used and ransacked by the invading army and the pictures make me cry. The souk is battle scarred.

I hope to go back one day but will have the accept that it is going to be very different.
mrsgaz
Suspect

Re: Kuwait

Postby perrito » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:38 pm

hola Mrsgaz,

Thank you for your very interesting post on Kuwait. I have a friend who has now lived and worked in Kuwait for quite some years, he is an architect and works mostly on shopping malls etc. My friend is Phillipino but always tells me he is not very happy working there but the money is good and so he stays. At one time he was having major problems with one of his Kuwaitie colleagues who would quite simply take my friend's designs and put his own name to them. My friend was so afraid of losing his job he never dared say anything. I'm not too sure whether that situation is still continuing, I must remember to ask him when I next have a chat.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby horsegirl » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi pe**** and m*s gaz, I lied inQ8 in 1998-2000, when *he sab*e *a**ling began again Will explain when all back no*mal
horsegirl
First Time Offender

Postby horsegirl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Using daughters PC so can post. I lived in Q8 for three years. I found the heat intolerable, loved the shops, genuinely liked the Arab people except for their treatment of animals and the overt racism.
I couldn't bear the coffee morning set, which usually was a oneupmanship exercise. :evil:
Ended up teaching at BSK, mercilesslessly bullied by the department head, but I loved working with the children. :D
The American culture was interesting.
I miss the Maid and the Driver :(
horsegirl
First Time Offender

Postby mrsgaz » Tue May 06, 2008 5:41 pm

horsegirl - where did you live?
I was in Ahmadi and was there until I was 16 so had no dealings with the 'coffee morning' set etc.
As I was a baby when went there, the heat did not bother me and the pool in the garden was a good way to cool off: as long as I didn't run across the grass (camel spiders!)

Might be of interest to others that my mother got stung by a scorpion in our house - 3 days in hospital! My dad caught the beggar (still in the bathroom) and my sister took it to a school show and tell! Went to the English School in Fahaheel. Sadaam and troups wrecked it.

Saving to go back in 2010 for a family occcassion.

Was a totally different way of life: we were very sheltered and had servants to help the folks (like as if they needed it, but that was the way of life - right or wrong).

Good to hear someone else on here lived there. We had no racism problems then and no 'women' issues, but then I was only a girl...
mrsgaz
Suspect

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink