Kitchen hygiene

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Kitchen hygiene

Postby hankypants » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 am

Hi, I'm new to Food, Drink and Eating out....

Have had a couple of chats with friends about something I'd never really given much thought to before....

The question is (ooo maybe I could have a poll)....

who here washes their pet bowls in the dishwasher with their crockery.

and who doesn't.

Thanks - the jury is out.
hankypants
Suspect

Re: Kitchen hygiene

Postby hankypants » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:03 am

oh :cry:

i'm the only one browsing this forum.

how sad

I feel so lonely

:cry: :cry:
hankypants
Suspect

Postby notdeadfred » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:34 am

No, I hose 'em down. My animals live outside. I once put the dog bowl in the diswhaser my husband nearly divorced me :lol: :lol:
It was our holiday too
notdeadfred
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:24 pm

hankypants wrote: The question is (ooo maybe I could have a poll).... who here washes their pet bowls in the dishwasher with their crockery. and who doesn't.

I must admit on occasion that I do put my dog's water and food bowls in the dishwasher. However, I use only stainless steel bowls, not plastic bowls, and that definitely affects my choice. As also his breed, a beautiful, elegant, dainty, little Pomeranian, who is very fussy about what he will or will not eat! I might not think the same of a heavy, large-jowled, slobbering, garbage-eating dog, but see also my link below on that topic!

Further, if you are considering this purely from a hygiene standpoint, I was under the impression that a dog's mouth had fewer germs than a human's mouth; that a dog's kiss was more hygienic than a kiss from a fellow human; and that a dog bite was less deadly than a human bite (unless of course the dog was rabied)!

Apparently, a dog's saliva naturally kills some bacteria, especially escherichia coli (one of the deadliest), whereas a person, who had not washed his/her hands or had not brushed his/her teeth before sitting down to dinner, may have hands and a mouth teeming with bacteria, which in turn would be transfered to not only the crockery but the cutlery too.

While not conclusive for all bacteria, here are the results from a Science Fair Project:

http://www.all-science-fair-projects.co ... 1c0ff.html

Trust you are not so lonely now, hankypants!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby notdeadfred » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:51 pm

I thank you hawkeyes, I shall stop washing at once, I will strip and let the dog slobber all over me (oohherr!! :wink: )
It was our holiday too
notdeadfred
On Parole

Postby mrsgaz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Cat bowls go in the dishwasher. Or are handwashed - depends on what day and if husband sees! :wink:
mrsgaz
Suspect

Postby hankypants » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:26 pm

Thanks for your replies...No I wasn't asking so that I could decide what to do - I was asking to see just how bad my OCD is!!!! :wink:

My friend has just told me she puts her cat bowls in the dishwasher and it makes me feel quite ill. It's not just the normal cat germs - cats lick their bums!!!! :D

I don't put my cat bowls in, in fact, since a nasty experience a couple of years ago when my husband put fresh cat food on top of the old cat food and when I put it all in the bin there were maggots in it (hot summer), my cat only has a water bowl. Her food goes on a paper plate which then gets put in the recycling.

Anyway I had a look on some hygiene websites and they all said don't do it but i'm sure it's much more common than I imagine. I can't even stick seeing animal food bowls around the work surface in the kitchen.

Don't worry, I realise that it's just me (well and my husband cos the thought makes him gag) so I'm not being disapproving.

But I can't go to my friends for coffee anymore :cry: unless I bring my own mug!!!! :bounce:

It's just me I'm sure. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks
hankypants
Suspect

Postby Roshana » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:08 am

We once had dinner at my ex mother-in-laws home. Just as we'd finished eating she took her dinner plate and put it on the floor to feed the dog her table scraps. :shock: I almost lost my dinner right there and then. Both she and hubby thought I was crazy.

I wash the dogs dish by hand but do admit I have snuck it in the dishwasher afterwards just to kind of sanitise it, so to speak.
Roshana
New In Town

Postby inthedark » Thu May 08, 2008 6:25 pm

My kitty is no longer with me :( but when he was I would actually do both - first a quick wash in the sink (by themselves) then into the dishwasher for a thorough sanitizing! I guess it always creeped me out a bit to think of putting them in the dishwasher without a bit of a clean first - as much as I adored my kitty, he was still an animal! :wink:
inthedark
Suspect

Postby Mr.Shifter » Thu May 08, 2008 6:50 pm

In the dishwasher after a quick swill under the tap - my dogs have dried food only if that makes a difference. Their water bowls gets hosed down and refilled from the outdoor tap.
Mr.Shifter
Suspect

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink