Japanese Rhubarb Crumble

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Japanese Rhubarb Crumble

Postby Finmental » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:14 am

Fins Rhubarb Crispie Pie

Rhubarb remains one of the truly seasonal produce items, only available in the spring. Rhubarb has a distinctive tart flavor that is really wonderful, and quite different from any "fruit". (Of course, the edible part of the rhubarb is technically not a fruit, since it's the stalk, but it's treated as a fruit in culinaric terms.)

There are two ways that I cook rhubarb, but this is my favorite. It is so easy to make, and makes a wonderful crisp or crumble pie, with a crunchy topping and a just-sweet-enough, syrupy rhubarb compote-like mixture underneath it. If you choose stalks that are pinkish, it will look quite pretty too.

You can serve this on its own, or with vanilla ice cream. It 's a wonderful springtime dessert that even people lacking a sweet tooth love.

Rhubarb Crumble Pie

About 1kg /2 lb of rhubarb stalks, enough to make about 4-5 cups of cut up rhubarb
1 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of raw or light brown sugar
125g / 4 oz. butter
3/4 cup of white flour
Preheat the oven to 200┬░C / 400┬░F.

Wash and cut up the rhubarb stalks into approximately 2cm / 1 inch pieces. Be careful to cut off any leaf parts - they are poisonous.

Melt the butter, and add the flour and sugar. Mix to make a rather crumbly mixture.

Put the rhubarb in a pie dish. Cover with the crumble mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crumble is browned and crispy.

This is best at room temperature, or chilled a bit.

I pinched this one from a Japanese cooking recipe site.. it is absolutely delicious and soo easy to make. Whoever tries it out, let me know your opinion. Tastes best with vanilla icecream.... ... :)

regards

Fin
Finmental
Local Lag

Re: Japanese Rhubarb Crumble

Postby HawkEyes1 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Many thanks for posting this on the 3 Arguidos Cookery Book thread, finmental.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby Finmental » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:15 pm

should I rename it Rhubarb McCrumble? :mrgreen:
Finmental
Local Lag

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Oh bugger it, i just picked the first of my rhubarb yesterday and made a traditional crumble, then i come on here and see this lovely reciepe. :(

Still my crumble was yummy n will have more ready by end of week so i shall give your reciepe ago. :)
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Finmental » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:07 pm

let me know bugs....even my brother made it and found it fantastic...a man!!!
Finmental
Local Lag

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Finmental wrote:let me know bugs....even my brother made it and found it fantastic...a man!!!

will do :)
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:03 pm

bugalugs1970 wrote:Oh bugger it, i just picked the first of my rhubarb yesterday and made a traditional crumble, then i come on here and see this lovely reciepe. :(

Still my crumble was yummy n will have more ready by end of week so i shall give your reciepe ago. :)

Why don't you add your rhubarb crumble recipe to the THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK at:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3620
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink