Portuguese History & Culture

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Postby Maya » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:52 am

Hiya Blackberry thank you so much for adding to the thread, of course you are most welcome to add anything you feel like :D
Maya
You're Nicked

Postby portuguesegirl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Thank you so much for posting that link. It sure sums up Portugal. It should be posted on the other place, to show to some that portugal isn't only tourism, as they claim.
portuguesegirl

Postby chimaera » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:15 pm

There is also some wonderful poetry written by the Portuguese. Unfortunately, I can't remember any names! Anyone help?
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby portuguesegirl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:20 pm

chimaera wrote:There is also some wonderful poetry written by the Portuguese. Unfortunately, I can't remember any names! Anyone help?

Fernando Pessoa
portuguesegirl

Postby moita » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:35 pm

moita
Suspect

Postby Babe » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:57 pm

The portuguese sardines in Portimão/Algarve: :flower:

http://www.carvoeiro.com/Guide/sardines/

The sardine restaurants in Portimão:

http://www.gallery.carvoeiro.com/spgm/i ... n_Portimao
Babe
You're Nicked

Postby bonnybraes1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:26 pm

Thanks to everyone - what a fascinating read for a cold winter night. I'll listen to the Fado when I can enjoy it in peace!
bonnybraes1

Re: Portuguese History & Culture

Postby Nevermind » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm

I just can't find words that can describe well enought, what i saw here....

I am very proud to be PORTUGUESE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY7DN0Xbi7M
Nevermind
New In Town

Postby TheAcademic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:24 am

Hi portuguese foreiros (I presume that is a word, or did i just invent it?)

I along with 15 of my most favourite arguido friends will be going to Lisbon for a "boys' weekend" in June, who is going to volunteer to help me organise some activities? I have various questions..

1. England unfortunately didnt qualify for Euro 2008 so we will be adopting Portugal, they are playing on 7th June against Turkey. Where should we watch this? a) is there a sport's bar? or b) should we go and huddle around a black and white TV in bairro alto with our moustachioed PJ friends.

2. Suppose we want to go to Kapital, I think if 16 of us turn up at once we will have our wallets raped by the doorman. I happen to know that there is a staircase near Kapital leading up from the road with a cute bar at the top from where we can dribble down in groups of 2 or 3, but my question is this, is this sao bento or alcantara? does anyone know the name of that bar and its address so we can get taxis there?

3. Porcao is now xurrascao de tejo or something, it used to be great, is it still worth going to? I have seen mixed reviews.

4. Anyone got any info on Portugalia next door, I have never been.

5. If we go for a late dinner at Blues Cafe, will they toss us out ofterwards or let us hang around for the disco at 1am?

6. We are going to have a day at the beach, my question is this. Cascais or Estoril?

7. If we go for dinner somewhere then on to docas de alcantara, will we cheerily be able to spend the whole night drinking or do we need to plan something for afterwards?

8. Is the portuguese word for tram "electro?" and is it number 28 that rattles its way up the hill to the castle?

9. We are getting late flights back on the sunday, given we will be staying near parque eduardo VII, i fancy having a walk to centro comercial amoreiras. Will it be open on sunday.

10. Just north of praca luis camoes in bairro alto, there are two roads called rua do norte and Rua das gaveas, in 2000 there was a restaurant here on one of these roads called SOL (no doubt named after our favourite magazine) does anyone know if it is still there? it used to do a killer kangaru na pedra.

That's all for now folks, hope you can help, I know this is the history and culture thread but someone did mention nightlife.

Oh and portuguesegirl, you missed out some of my favourite dishes, bife portuguesa is lovely, and for simple duck and rice tasty goodness, arroz com pato really does the trick
TheAcademic
Suspect

Postby Babe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:41 pm

TheAcademic wrote:I along with 15 of my most favourite arguido friends will be going to Lisbon for a "boys' weekend" in June, who is going to volunteer to help me organise some activities? I have various questions..

Hi Academic. :flower:

Here are some links that may help you:
1. The Kapital and other discos. The Kapital Disco is more or less in Alcântara and you can go by taxi:
http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/0/8086dat1.html

2. Lisbon restaurants:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... -BR-1.html

3. The beaches in Estoril and Cascais are nice, especially the Beach of Guincho:
http://www.visitportugal.com/NR/exeres/ ... meless.htm

another link to the beaches:
http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/_tourism/ ... index.html

The shopping center amoreiras is open on sundays from 10 a.m., until 11 p.m. or midnight I'm not sure.
http://www.golisbon.com/shopping/shopping-centres.html

4. Links to the Docas de Alcântara:
http://www.iknow-portugal.co.uk/tourist ... centre.htm

The trams are called el├®ctricos.
I hope this helps a bit.
Babe
You're Nicked

Postby bobbie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm

This has been a truely enjoyable read. Congratulatons to everyone who has contributed.
bobbie
New In Town

Postby astro » Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Ant├│nio Nogueira Pessoa was born in Lisbon, Portugal, on June 13, 1888. When he was scarcely five years old, his father died. His mother remarried a year and a half later to the Portugese consul in Durban, South Africa. Pessoa attended an English school in Durban, where he lived with his family until the age of seventeen. When he was thirteen he made a year-long visit to Portugal, returning there for good in 1905. He began studying at the University of Lisbon in 1906 but dropped out after only eight months.

During the following years he stayed with relatives or in rented rooms, making his living by translating, writing in avant-garde reviews, and drafting business letters in English and French. He began publishing criticism in 1912, creative prose in 1913, and poetry in 1914. This was also the year when the alter egos he called heteronyms'Alberto Caeiro, Ricardo Reis, and Álvaro de Campos'came into existence. In 1915 he dropped the circumflex from his surname.

The majority of Pessoa's poems, heteronymic or otherwise, appeared in literary journals and magazines. He published his first book of English poems, Antinous in 1918, followed by Sonnets (1918) and English Poems (1921), but released only a single book of Portuguese poems, Mensagem, in 1933. He died November 30, 1935, in Lisbon from cirrhosis of the liver. Pessoa avoided the literary world and most social contact; it wasn't until years after his death that his work garnered a wide readership.

Literary alter egos were popular among early twentieth-century writers: Pound had Mauberley, Rilke had Malte Laurids Brigge, and Val├®ry had Monsieur Teste. But no one took their alter ego as far as Pessoa, who gave up his own life to confer quasi-real substance on the poets he designated at heteronyms, giving each a personal biography, psychology, politics, aesthetics, religion, and physique.

Alberto Caeiro was an ingenuous, unlettered, unemployed man of the country.

Ricardo Reis was a doctor and classicist who wrote Horace-like odes.

Álvaro de Campos, a naval engineer, was a bisexual dandy who studied in Glasgow, traveled to the Orient, and lived outrageously in London.

In an English text, Pessoa wrote, "Caeiro has one discipline: things must be felt as they are. Ricardo Reis has another kind of discipline: things must be felt, not only as they are, but also so as to fall in with a certain ideal of classic measure and rule. In Álvaro de Campos things must simply be felt."

In later years, Pessoa also gave birth to Bernardo Soares, a "semiheteronym" who authored the sprawling fictional diary known as The Book of Disquietude; Ant├│nio Mora, a prolific philosopher and sociologist; the Baron of Teive, an essayist; Thomas Crosse, whose critical writings in English promoted Portuguese literature in general and Alberto Caeiro's work in particular; I. I. Crosse, Thomas's brother and collaborator; Coelho Pacheco, poet; Raphael Baldaya, astrologer; Maria Jos├®, a nineteen-year-old hunchback consumptive who wrote a desperate, unmailed love letter to a handsome metalworker who passed under her window on his way to work each day; and so on.

At least seventy-two names besides Fernando Pessoa were "responsible" for the thousands of texts that were actually written and the many more that he only planned. Although Pessoa also published some works pseudonymically, he distinguished this from the "heteronymic" project: "A pseudonymic work is, except for the name with which it is signed, the work of an author writing as himself; a heteronymic work is by an author writing outside his own personality: it is the work of a complete individuality made up by him, just as the utterances of some character in a drama would be."

By Alberto Caeiro, the beginning of "The Keeper of Sheep", translated into English by J. Griffin:

I never kept sheep,
But it is as I did watch over them.
My soul is like a shepherd,
Knows the wind and the sun,
And goes hand in hand with the Seasons
To follow and to listen.
All peace of Nature without people
Comes to sit by my side.
But I remain sad like a sunset
As our imagining shows it,
When a chill falls at the side of the valley
And you feel night has come in
Like a butterfly through a window.

But my sadness is calm
Because it is natural and right
And is what there should be in the soul
When it is thinking it exists
And the hands are picking flowers without noticing
which.

At a jangle of sheep-bells
Beyond the bend of the road,
My thoughts are contented.
Only, I am sorry I know they are contented,
Because, if I did not know it,
Instead of being contented and sad,
They would be cheerful and contented.
To think is uncomfortable like walking in the rain
When the wind is rising and it looks like raining more.

I have no ambitions or wants.
To be a poet is not ambition of mine.
It is way of staying alone.

By Álvaro de Campos, "I have a terrible cold", translated into English by J. Griffin:

I have a terrible cold,
And everyone knows how terrible colds
Alter the whole system of the universe,
Set us against life,
And make even metaphysics sneeze.
I have wasted the whole day blowing my nose.
My head is aching vaguely.
Sad condition for a minor poet!
Today I am really and truly a minor poet.
What I was in old days was a wish; it's gone.

Goodbye for ever, queen of fairies!
Your wings were made of sun, and I am walking here.
I shan't get well unless I go and lie down on my bed.
I never was well except lying down on the Universe.

Excusez un peu ... What a terrible cold! ... it's
physical!
I need truth and aspirin.

By Ricardo Reis, "Crown me with Roses", translated into English by J. Griffin:

Crown me with roses,
Crown me really
With roses -
Roses which burn out
On a forehead burning
So soon out!
Crown me with roses
And with fleeting leaf*ge.
That will do.

By Fernando Pessoa himself, one of his most famous poems, translated by R. Zenith:

The poet is a faker
Who's so good at his act
He even fakes the pain
Of pain he feels in fact.

Statue of Pessoa in front of famous Lisbon caf├®, A Brasileira do Chiado
astro
Been Cautioned

Postby astro » Wed May 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Mensagem (Message), by Fernando Pessoa

Mensagem (Message) is a very unusual twentieth century book: it is a symbolist epic made up of 44 short poems organized in three parts or Cycles:

The first, called "Brasão" (Coat-of-Arms), relates Portuguese historical protagonists to each of the fields and charges in the Portuguese coat-of-arms. The first two poems ("The castles" and "The escutcheons") draw inspiration from the material and spiritual natures of Portugal. Each of the remaining poems associates to each charge a historical personality. Ultimately they all lead to the Goldean Age of Discovery.

The second Part, called "Mar Português" (Portuguese Sea), refers the country's Age of Portuguese Exploration and to its sea-borne Empire that ended with the death of King Sebastian at El-Ksar el-Kebir (in 1578). Pessoa brings the reader to the present as if he had woken up from a dream of the past, to fall in a dream of the future: he sees King Sebastian returning and still bent on accomplishing a Universal Empire, like King Arthur heading for Avalon...

The third Cycle, called "O Encoberto" ("The Hidden One"), is the most disturbing. It refers to Pessoa's vision of a future world of peace and the Fifth Empire. After the Age of Force, (Vis), and Taedium (Otium) will come Science (understanding) through a reawakening of "The Hidden One", or "King Sebastian". The Hidden One represents the fulfillment of the destiny of mankind, designed by God since before Time, and the accomplishment of Portugal.

One of the most famous quotes from Mensagem is the first line from O Infante (belonging to the second Part), which is Deus quer, o homem sonha, a obra nasce (which translates roughly to "God wants, man dreams, the deed is born"). That means 'Only by God's will man does', a full comprehension of man's subjection to God's wealth. Another well-known quote from Mensagem is the first line from Ulysses, "O mito ├® o nada que ├® tudo" (a possible translation is "The myth is the nothing that is all"). This poem refers Ulysses, king of Ithaca, as Lisbon's founder (recalling an ancient Greek myth).

----------

O Infante

Deus quer, o homem sonha, a obra nasce.
Deus quis que a terra fosse toda uma,
Que o mar unisse, já não separasse.
Sagrou-te, e foste desvendando a espuma,

E a orla branca foi de ilha em continente,
Clareou, correndo, at├® ao fim do mundo,
E viu-se a terra inteira, de repente,
Surgir, redonda, do azul profundo.

Quem te sagrou criou-te português.
Do mar e n├│s em ti nos deu sinal.
Cumpriu-se o Mar, e o Imp├®rio se desfez.
Senhor, falta cumprir-se Portugal!

---------

God wills, man dreams, the work is conceived.
God wanted the earth to be all one,
For the sea to unite, and no longer divide.
He blessed you and you went forth unfurling the foam,

And the white rim went from island to continent,
Racing brightly as far as the ends of the earth,
And the whole of the land was suddenly seen,
Rising, round-bellied, from the deep of the blue.

He who blessed you, created you Portuguese.
From the sea, and we within you, he gave us the sign.
Fulfilled was the Sea, the Empire unraveled.
Lord, there is one more task to fulfil - Portugal!

(translation by Mike Harland)
astro
Been Cautioned

Postby astro » Wed May 21, 2008 5:46 pm

My absolute personal favourite by Pessoa is "O Mostrengo" (The Monster), the fourth poem from the second part of "Mensagem", which is called "Mar Português" (Portuguese Sea).

So much is always lost in translation, but here goes, both the original version and a translation into English, by Mike Harland:

O mostrengo que está no fim do mar
Na noite de breu ergueu-se a voar;
À roda da nau voou três vezes,
Voou três vezes a chiar,
E disse: "Quem ├® que ousou entrar
Nas minhas cavernas que não desvendo,
Meus tectos negros do fim do mundo?"
E o homem do leme disse, tremendo:
"El-Rei D. João Segundo!"

"De quem são as velas onde me roço?
De quem as quilhas que vejo e ouço?"
Disse o mostrengo, e rodou três vezes,
Três vezes rodou imundo e grosso.
"Quem vem poder o que s├│ eu posso,
Que moro onde nunca ningu├®m me visse
E escorro os medos do mar sem fundo?"
E o homem do leme tremeu, e disse:
"El-Rei D. João Segundo!"

Três vezes do leme as mãos ergueu,
Três vezes ao leme as reprendeu,
E disse no fim de tremer três vezes:
"Aqui ao leme sou mais do que eu:
Sou um povo que quer o mar que ├® teu;
E mais que o mostrengo, que me a alma teme
E roda nas trevas do fim do mundo,
Manda a vontade, que me ata ao leme,
De El-Rei D. João Segundo!"

The monster that lies at the edge of the sea
In the pitch dark of night rose up and flew;
Around the ship it soared three times,
Three times it swooped a-screaching,
And cried: "Who can it be that dared to enter
My caverns that I never disclose,
My pitch dark roofs on the edge of the world?
And the man at the helm cried out all a-tremble:
"Our noble King John the Second!"

"Whose are the sails over which I skim?
Whose are the keels I see and hear?"
So said the monster, and thrice it circled,
Thrice it did swirl so filthy and huge.
"Who comes to do what only I can,
I who dwell where none did ever see me
And drain the fears of the fathomless sea?"
And the man at the helm did tremble and say:
"Our noble King John the Second!"

Three times from the helm his hands he raised,