THE THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Re: THE THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK

Postby Kim48 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Pike
Like the look of your nut lasagne. I am a veggie so always trying out new recipes. Must give my veggie curry everyone loves it and veggie lasagne.
Those who play the game do not see as clearly as those who watch - Old Chinese proverb

We were a silent, hidden thought in the folds of oblivion, and we have become a voice that causes the heavens to tremble - Kahil Gibran
Kim48
Hardened Criminal

Postby nurgis » Fri May 09, 2008 6:09 pm

There are so many great recipies here I do'nt knw where to begin.......
hmmmm the what's his name pinky's "leek soup" for tomorrow.
I will definately contribute to this forum. Now, now, hold your horses,
it will not be anything terrible from the traditional Icelandic table :mrgreen:
NO more ice please and justice for Maddie
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby nurgis » Mon May 12, 2008 8:50 pm

pike1 wrote:CLARENCE LEEKS AND TAPASTO SOUP

2 ozs butter

2 tblsp vegetable oil

1 finely chopped large onion

3 thinely sliced medium leeks

6 finely chopped medium potatoes

salt

black pepper

1 1/2 pts chicken stock

10 fluid ozs milk

fresh chopped chives for garnish

single /double cream to swirl in soup

Melt butter and oil in large saucepan

Add onion and fry until soft

Stir in leeks and potatoes and brown

Add salt pepper chicken stock and milk

Bring to boil

Reduce to low heat and cover with lid

Simmer for 20-25 mins

Remove from heat

Put into electric blender

Pour soup into tureen or soup bowls

Add chopped chives and swirl of cream to each bowl

Serve with slices of french bread or garlic bread

ENJOY!

I served your soup today Pike1 and everyone loved it. It is now on the weekly menu. THANKS :wink: :wink:
NO more ice please and justice for Maddie
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby Scribbler » Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 pm

MALIBU CAKE

8oz butter or soft margarine
8oz caster sugar
8oz plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 medium sized eggs
desiccated coconut
Malibu

Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat the eggs, one at a time (I say this because if you break all four into a jug together and the last one is bad, you've lost four eggs, not one!) and add gradually to the mixture, folding in a little sieved flour with each addition. Stir in the baking powder. Stir in the coconut - I haven't given a quantity because I "wing it" and just chuck in as much as I feel like, which is probably a couple of ounces. Lastly, stir in a few capfuls of Malibu.

Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 8 inch cake tin and bake at 160 degrees Centigrade for about an hour. Insert a skewer into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. When it's cooled, you could decorate it with some coconut frosting or buttercream. This cake ALWAYS gets rave reviews, far more than any other kind of cake I bake. When I took it into work, my boss intercepted me as I was taking the last slice home for my other half - she wanted it for HER husband! :lol:
Scribbler
On Parole

Postby pike1 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:34 am

nurgis wrote:
pike1 wrote:CLARENCE LEEKS AND TAPASTO SOUP

2 ozs butter

2 tblsp vegetable oil

1 finely chopped large onion

3 thinely sliced medium leeks

6 finely chopped medium potatoes

salt

black pepper

1 1/2 pts chicken stock

10 fluid ozs milk

fresh chopped chives for garnish

single /double cream to swirl in soup

Melt butter and oil in large saucepan

Add onion and fry until soft

Stir in leeks and potatoes and brown

Add salt pepper chicken stock and milk

Bring to boil

Reduce to low heat and cover with lid

Simmer for 20-25 mins

Remove from heat

Put into electric blender

Pour soup into tureen or soup bowls

Add chopped chives and swirl of cream to each bowl

Serve with slices of french bread or garlic bread

ENJOY!

I served your soup today Pike1 and everyone loved it. It is now on the weekly menu. THANKS :wink: :wink:

nurgis...delighted you all enjoyed it too !
Have also used the basic ingredients to make variations..eg add chicken or different vegetables...
I also add home made croutons sometimes... :)
"Always tell the truth.That way you don`t have to remember what you said"[Mark Twain]

The 3 Arguidos Cookery Book : great recipes!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3620&p=355600#p355600
pike1
Hardened Criminal

Postby chimaera » Wed May 14, 2008 7:31 am

I'd lost his thread. Glad it's back again.
I tried Marion's apricot and mayo chicken out of curiousity, as I'd never seen a recipe like that before. It was excellent! Thanks, marion.

I've since tried a variation whereby I added some Moroccan spices to the mix and that also worked.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby pike1 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:42 am

chimaera wrote:I'd lost his thread. Glad it's back again.
I tried Marion's apricot and mayo chicken out of curiousity, as I'd never seen a recipe like that before. It was excellent! Thanks, marion.

I've since tried a variation whereby I added some Moroccan spices to the mix and that also worked.

Hi chimaera.... I`ll have a go at it too then!!
Wonder how we can advertise this a bit more as I think it`s got lost on the big forum and could be such a great ongoing thread with recipes from all over the world? :)
"Always tell the truth.That way you don`t have to remember what you said"[Mark Twain]

pike1
Hardened Criminal

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:58 am

This is a wonderful dish for dealing with leftover roast chicken on a Monday evening after the weekend:

Barbecue Sauce for Fowl McCann

Ingredients:
Leftover Legs or Wings of a Roast Chicken
2 Tablespoons of Heinz Cocktail Sauce (or alternatively Tomato Ketchup or Tomato Catsup mixed with a teaspoon of Horseradish)*
1-2 Tablespoons of Duck Sauce (from the Chinese condiments section of your Grocery Store)
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Lemon
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Method:
Place previously roasted chicken legs and/or wings in baking pan. Do NOT remove skin, as this will provide the fat, along with the barbecue sauce, needed for baking.
Mix together cocktail sauce, duck sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice together.
Drizzle over chicken; then grind sea salt and black pepper over top for additional flavour.
Cook in a 400-degree Fahrenheit (or 205-degree Celsius) oven for approximately 20 minutes, checking periodically to spoon any sauce back over chicken, until skin is crispy and the sauce slightly darkened in colour.

Serving suggestion:
Heavenly with an arugula or Bibb lettuce salad, some good Campari tomatoes, and crispy French bread. Since this entree is quite spicy, follow with a good, cooling, light strawberry ice-cream, such as Breyer's, or yogurt (plain or strawberry-flavoured), and berries (sliced strawberries and blueberries or raspberries and blackberries) for dessert. Delish!

*In the US, this is known as Heinz Cocktail Sauce or Cocktail Sauce for Seafood. In the UK, frequently mayonnaise is added to the sauce. However, for the barbecue recipe this should NOT contain mayonnaise. If you cannot find one without, you can make your own by mixing the following ingredients together:

Cocktail Sauce for Seafood
1 cup Heinz Ketchup or Catsup
1/4 cup freshly grated Horseradish (or purchased by the bottle preserved in vinegar)
Juice of 1 Lemon
A couple of dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
A dash of Tabasco
Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste

This sauce is fabulous for Shrimp or Prawn Cocktail. After trying it, you won't want to go back to the mayonnaise kind. In addition, it is low-calorie!

Note: When making the Barbecue Sauce, it isn't necessary to add the Worcestershire sauce or the Tabasco to the Cocktail Sauce. You can just mix the ketchup and horseradish together and increase the lemon juice from 1/2 lemon to a whole lemon.

Edited to add Cocktail Sauce for Seafood Recipe
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Wed May 21, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Cheesecake da Luz

Ingredients:
8 oz. Philadelphian Cream Cheese (or any other good unflavoured cream cheese)
1/2 cup of Cream
1/4 cup of Creme Fraiche
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon of Vanilla (or use Lemon Juice, if preferred)
1/2 cup of Caster Sugar or Confectioner's Sugar
Pinch of Salt
2 Weetabix or 4-6 Whole Wheat Digestive Biscuits (in the US Graham crackers can also be used)
1/2 cup of Nut Flour (or grind your own finely ground hazelnuts or almonds)
2 tablespoon of Demerara Sugar
2 tablespoons of Butter

Method:
Crush Weetabix or digestive biscuits until they are the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
Add nut flour and Demerara sugar to the above crumbs.
Melt butter and add to mixture of Weetabix or digestive biscuits, nut flour and Demerara sugar.
Put the crumb mix into a a quiche or a tart pan (with a removable bottom) and press mixture into the bottom and sides with the bottom of a glass until it forms a tart shell. Note: If it doesn't stick to the sides, add a little more melted butter to the crumb mix.
Bake in a 400-degree Fahrenheit or 205-degree Celsius temperature oven for 10 minutes; remove from oven and cool in the pan.
Beat eggs with the salt in a food processor or mixer (using the beater paddle) until they take on a pale, creamy yellow colour.
Add caster or confectioner's sugar and the vanilla or lemon juice to the beaten egg.
Beat the mixture until well integrated and creamy.
Add Philadelphian cream cheese to the beaten mixture, again until creamy and well integrated.
Pour cream cheese mixture into the cooled crust shell.
Bake in a 375-degree Fahrenheit or 190-degree Celsius temperature oven for approximately 20 minutes until firm.
Cool in pan and then refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
Remove carefully from pan and add your favourite garnish.

Serving Suggestions:
Plain, just as it comes out of the refrigerator. A great addition to a special tea party, as well as dessert for a dinner party.

Or decorate with berries, such as strawberries (whole if small or sliced if large), blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or loganberries. Add a sprig of mint to the plate when serving an individual portion.

Or with Lemon Sourcream Topping (Sourcream, Lemon Juice, and Confectioner's Sugar to taste), spread lightly over the top. If you use this lemon topping, then use lemon juice in your egg/cheese mixture.

Variations:
If you have miniature souffle dishes, you can make individual desserts for a special dinner party. You can then garnish these baby cheesecakes, and serve them in their dishes, on a decorative plate.

In Autumn, add crushed, cooked pumpkin and 2 tablespoons of Kalhua liqueur to the egg/cheese mixture. This is a terrific alternative to pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

An alternative to using Philadelphian cream cheese is Ricotta. If you uses a low-fat version, however, I would recommend adding an extra egg to the cheese mixture and cutting back a little on the cream, so that you get the right consistency. When I cook, I tend to "eye-ball" ingredients in recipes to my own taste, so you may need to play around with these measures!

Edited only to add italics and to correct one word typo
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Tue May 20, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby pike1 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi HawkEyes ...these sound lovely ..I will have a go at the chicken first I think...
Will post a couple over the week end myself....
How best can we advertise this thread do you think?
Shall I add a line to my signature??? :lol:

pike1
Hardened Criminal

Postby HawkEyes1 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 pm

pike1 wrote:Hi HawkEyes ...these sound lovely ..I will have a go at the chicken first I think...
Will post a couple over the week end myself....
How best can we advertise this thread do you think?

The barbecue chicken is sensational, pike1, I promise you. It has become my favourite way of serving leftover chicken! I sometimes squeeze 1/2 lemon into the barbecue sauce (included in original recipe), but it is not absolutely necessary.

Regarding the cheesecake that I have just posted, I made it for the first time last night, and have just eaten my first slice for lunch with the addition of some blackberries. I adapted an old recipe from the Joy of Cooking and then altered the recipe to suit my own way of cooking with whole grains and nuts. I usually reduce the sugar content of recipes often by half, using cane rather than beet sugar, and sometimes substituting honey or maple syrup for part of the sugar. And when a recipe calls for cream, I often mix creme fraiche with the cream or play around with a mixture of yogurt and cream in Northern Italian cooking.

By the way, Pooh Bear, my Pomeranian, has approved of both recipes!

Corrected sticky key typos and to add "(included in original recipe)"
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Wed May 21, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:01 pm

pike1 wrote: How best can we advertise this thread do you think?

That would be a great idea, pike1!

Meanwhile, I will contact one of the mods and see if I can get it moved to the main Maddy forum next to the 3A Bar.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:30 pm

There is now an Index to THE THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK on page 1, as the first part of the OP.

This new index should help us to expand the cookery book and fill in with favourite recipes for categories needing expansion. For example, we need many more salads, pasta, pies, and leftover recipes. I will update the index on a regular basis, as new recipes are posted.

Note that I have listed some recipes under Entrees but also under Appetizers. When using as appetizers, Just alter the portion size appropriately.
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 pm

HawkEyes1 wrote:
pike1 wrote: How best can we advertise this thread do you think?

That would be a great idea, pike1!

Meanwhile, I will contact one of the mods and see if I can get it moved to the main Maddy forum next to the 3A Bar.

Unfortunately, I have been told that this thread cannot be moved, but bjr has moved up the entire FROM AROUND THE WORLD category, so that it is more conspicuous on the Board Index. I also suggested that the THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK should be added to the blurb underneath the title of this category. bjr has agreed, and it now appears in that index.

This should be a help in attracting more members to post their favourite recipes!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Posters: If you have photographs of the results of any of your recipes, would you add them to your contribution? Some have already done so, and I will also try to remember to take a photograph of my own.

Many thanks!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

PreviousNext

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink