Cafe Du Monde-New Orleans, Louisiana

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Cafe Du Monde-New Orleans, Louisiana

Postby CaptnMorgan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:09 pm

http://www.cafedumonde.com/main.html

This is the most wonderful place to eat breakfast. Cafe alait is so good! Sitting out in the open air by the Mississippi!!!!! It's like being in a different world. This place has been there for years. If any of you get the chance to go to New Orleans, you HAVE to visit here and have breakfast!!
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Re: Cafe Du Monde-New Orleans, Louisiana

Postby HawkEyes1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:39 am

CaptnMorgan wrote:http://www.cafedumonde.com/main.html

This is the most wonderful place to eat breakfast. Cafe alait is so good! Sitting out in the open air by the Mississippi!!!!! It's like being in a different world. This place has been there for years. If any of you get the chance to go to New Orleans, you HAVE to visit here and have breakfast!!

I loved the Caf├® du Monde, CaptnMorgan, and have enjoyed good New Orleans-style coffee and beignets there every time I have been to New Orleans.

Someone once gave me a packet of beignet mix to replicate those delicious beignets at home, but they didn't come close. There may be a recipe in the old Joy of Cooking or on the Internet. If so, I'll test it and will post the results on THE THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK thread, and let the good times roll.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby OccamsMachete » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:30 am

I was born and raised in Baton Rouge (Louisiana state capitol, not too far from Nawlins) and have wonderful memories of the Riverwalk. Great shopping there, too....

Haven't ventured down there (I live in another state now, other side of the country!) post Hurricane Katrina and frankly not sure I want to.... The Nawlins my friends and I knew is dead. :x
OccamsMachete
New In Town

Postby CaptnMorgan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:07 pm

OM, I know. It's very sad that Hurricane Katrina happened. I haven't been to New Orleans in over 10 years. My aunt and uncle visit there every year because they have a place in the Quarter. They said not much has changed there, but all around it has. I remember a few years back when that big ship ran into the River Walk. Remember that?

I have many fond memories of New Orleans and South Louisiana though. I really do :D
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby CaptnMorgan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:16 pm

HawkEyes1 wrote:http://www.cafedumonde.com/main.html

I loved the Caf├® du Monde, CaptnMorgan, and have enjoyed good New Orleans-style coffee and beignets there every time I have been to New Orleans.

Someone once gave me a packet of beignet mix to replicate those delicious beignets at home, but they didn't come close. There may be a recipe in the old Joy of Cooking or on the Internet. If so, I'll test it and will post the results on THE THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK thread, and let the good times roll.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!!! Hawkeyes!! Yes, cooking those beignets from the box isn't quite the same is it :wink:
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby HawkEyes1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:08 pm

OccamsMachete wrote:I was born and raised in Baton Rouge (Louisiana state capitol, not too far from Nawlins) and have wonderful memories of the Riverwalk. Great shopping there, too....

Haven't ventured down there (I live in another state now, other side of the country!) post Hurricane Katrina and frankly not sure I want to.... The Nawlins my friends and I knew is dead. :x

Besides Caf├® du Monde and jazz at Preservation Hall and Pete Fountain's, my other memories of New Orleans include staying in a wonderful old plantation house on the edge of the Old French Quarter (Le Vieux Carr├®), where I still remember my room with its tester bed, overlooking the interior courtyard with its lush vegetation but especially the banana trees; the gracious Southern hospitality; the ornate iron balconies, which outdo those of Savannah, GA; an elegant champagne breakfast in The Courtyard of Two Sisters; dinner at Brennan's; eating alligator and crawfish Etouffe at one of the Riverwalk caf├®s; hunting for just the right carnival mask as a souvenir; and taking a fascinating boat trip out into the Bayou with a French-speaking descendent of Arcadians from Nova Scotia.

I also loved driving along Plantation Row and visiting wonderful old plantation houses, such as Oak Alley, along the Mississippi.

Sad that so much was destroyed by the last hurricane, although I hear that Le Vieux Carr├® came out pretty much unscathed.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby Primavera » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 pm

I like the author James Lee Burke and his character Dave Robicheaux. Robicheaux runs a boat rental business in Louisiana's bayou country and the way Burke describes the scenes makes me want to visit. He talks about food a lot too, and I want to sample cajun cooking!
"I can no longer observe such pleased mad faces."
("Killers," by Alice Walker.)

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/
Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby CaptnMorgan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Primavera wrote:I like the author James Lee Burke and his character Dave Robicheaux. Robicheaux runs a boat rental business in Louisiana's bayou country and the way Burke describes the scenes makes me want to visit. He talks about food a lot too, and I want to sample cajun cooking!

Primavera, there's nothing like Cajun food!! It's wonderful!! Hungry for it right now! :)
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby Primavera » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:24 pm

CaptnMorgan wrote:
Primavera wrote:I like the author James Lee Burke and his character Dave Robicheaux. Robicheaux runs a boat rental business in Louisiana's bayou country and the way Burke describes the scenes makes me want to visit. He talks about food a lot too, and I want to sample cajun cooking!

Primavera, there's nothing like Cajun food!! It's wonderful!! Hungry for it right now! :)

One of these days, Captn I will be sitting there looking out at the bayou, eating Cajun food and listening to singing in Cajun French!

Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby CaptnMorgan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Primavera wrote:One of these days, Captn I will be sitting there looking out at the bayou, eating Cajun food and listening to singing in Cajun French!

It's called Zydeco and it's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby Primavera » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:58 am

CaptnMorgan wrote:
Primavera wrote:One of these days, Captn I will be sitting there looking out at the bayou, eating Cajun food and listening to singing in Cajun French!

It's called Zydeco and it's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D

Zydeco! Of course! Thank you. The more I read here, the more I am practically jumping up and down...I wanna go there!

I realised that I hadn't listened to my Clifton Chenier music for a very long time and then I remembered why! I've got Clifton Chenier only on vinyl and I've now got nothing to play vinyl on.

Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby scandi » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:42 am

CaptnMorgan wrote:http://www.cafedumonde.com/main.html

Hi Captain, I think of the Mississippi River as a very dirty river, nothing beautiful or inspirational about it except for the history it brings back to us of early America.

Try the Willamette River. It is clean and beautiful, many exceptional restaurants along the way from Southern Oregon all the way up to Portland. I will welcome you with open arms Captn.

Scandi

PS: OK, I'm starting over and going back from the first post that talks here of New Orleans and it's delights as it does sound very interesting. I guess I remember the Mississippi #1 from learning how to spell it in grade school and then watching it flood on TV and imagining all those huge estates just mired in muck.

Tomorrow. I'll be back tomorrow. YaYa
scandi
Local Lag

Postby CaptnMorgan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:50 pm

scandi, do you mean like this?

M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback-humpback-I?

I like the Mississipi Delta scandi. It's beautiful in it's own way. Riding those old riverboats is very fun. The Creole Queen. That's the one I rode on. :)
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby HawkEyes1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:15 pm

For those who'd like to replicate the beignets at Cafe du Monde, I have posted a recipe for BEIGNETS on page 2 of the THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK thread at:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3620&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby CaptnMorgan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Great Hawkeyes!! Thanks!! :wink:
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Next

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink