HOOPOO BIRD

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

HOOPOO BIRD

Postby perrito » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:34 pm

I love these birds but unfortunately we see less and less of them as more and more land is taken for building. This one was on the wires outside our house yesterday.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Re: HOOPOO BIRD

Postby CaptnMorgan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:52 pm

Oh he's really a cutie!! :D
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby nurgis » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:18 pm

love the photo perrito
NO more ice please and justice for Maddie
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby santacoloma » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:19 am

Only just seen this nice post, perrito, so it's funny I should have mentioned our favourite bird on Senti's OP very recently. A gentle teasing comment, not a mocking-bird comment, as I've got cyber-speakingly quite fond of senti!
I love to see these hoopoes as soon as they arrive, which I seem to remember was very early last year. We're in Catalunya, and I assume they come from Africa or perhaps Turkey as the weather gets too hot there. The first year, we were in a rented house with a large garden, and they stayed only a short while, grubbing around before moving on further north. It was our year of terrible forest fires.
By last summer, we had moved to our present terraced house which had been a building site for two full years. Built-up, certainly, but with plentiful fields all around for our peach-coloured friends. So what do they do? They fly circuits all day, up the terrace over our back gardens, disappear around the side of an old farmhouse. A few minutes later, back down the terrace, over the high firtree to our old rented garden, and so on round and round all day.
And best of all, whereas the first years we saw only a pair, last year the flypast eventually consisted of five!!
santacoloma
First Time Offender

Postby sentinel » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:20 pm

santacoloma wrote:Only just seen this nice post, perrito, so it's funny I should have mentioned our favourite bird on Senti's OP very recently. A gentle teasing comment, not a mocking-bird comment, as I've got cyber-speakingly quite fond of senti!
I love to see these hoopoes as soon as they arrive, which I seem to remember was very early last year. We're in Catalunya, and I assume they come from Africa or perhaps Turkey as the weather gets too hot there. The first year, we were in a rented house with a large garden, and they stayed only a short while, grubbing around before moving on further north. It was our year of terrible forest fires.
By last summer, we had moved to our present terraced house which had been a building site for two full years. Built-up, certainly, but with plentiful fields all around for our peach-coloured friends. So what do they do? They fly circuits all day, up the terrace over our back gardens, disappear around the side of an old farmhouse. A few minutes later, back down the terrace, over the high firtree to our old rented garden, and so on round and round all day.
And best of all, whereas the first years we saw only a pair, last year the flypast eventually consisted of five!!

the hoopo is a little beauty,

slightly surpassed by the indian roller.

tried to paste an image. it has to be an image as they lift off, when the dull brown bird explodes into a flash of turquoise
"We, with Coldwater's help, have let our imaginations run wild"
sentinel
Mafia Boss

Postby perrito » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm glad you like the little bird, there are a few around here but the little devils refuse to sit and pose for photo calls. Last year we were really lucky, we had a colony of bee eaters nesting on a building site nearby. I'm very glad to say that all work on the site had to stop until the bee eaters left. I did manage to get a good photo of one pair, if I can find it I will post it.

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby perrito » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Here we are, a pair of the bee eaters that were nesting near us last year. We used to see so many of these birds in Africa, such brilliant colours on them, they are beautiful.

perrito

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink