The truth about MILK!!!!!!

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

The truth about MILK!!!!!!

Postby Tripz » Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Human babies are meant to drink human breast milk, ideally from their own mothers. That's natural. After a time, changes take place in the human infants' body chemistry and it no longer requires breast beverage because it is ready to get its nourishment direct from the same sources by which its mother gets her nourishment and weaning naturally occurs.

The same thing happens with cows and their calf's. Wouldn't it seem odd if cows continued to drink the milk of other cows...or the milk of a completely different species...long after they were weaned? If you think that would be stupid, why then do humans continue to drink the secretions of cows, or any other animal, long after they are weaned...and at what cost to their health?

ANIMAL PRODUCTS REPLACE PLANT FOODS

When animals were first herded and domesticated for human consumption, about 9,000-10,000 years ago, they essentially became the alternatives to plant foods

Plant foods were the foundation of the human diet for a long, long time - long before people started domesticating non-human animals - (READ: Plant foods were the foundation - I'm not saying humans didn't eat "meat" at all) - Fast forward thousands of years to our own "modern" culture - With millions of dollars, the animal exploitation industries convinced people they need to consume the flesh and secretions of animals, and fruits, vegetables, beans, mushrooms, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices were pushed off to the sidelines and sold as garnish, and meat, dairy, and eggs, with their powerful lobbies on Capitol Hill, enjoyed government support, subsidies, and protection

Thanks to the dairy industry, whose government-sponsored advertisements pose as public service announcements, humans are continually sold the idea that we need cows' milk to be healthy - This stuff is sold as if it contains some magical formula designed just for human bodies - The truth is it is a perfect formula, designed just for growing babies ' bovine babies, that is

HERDING ANIMALS - DUPING HUMANS

Cattle are herd animals, which means they are easy to control because they move together and stay together-In other words, "cattle" meet certain requirements that make it easy for humans to contain them - Let's not kid ourselves into believing that humans struck nutritional gold when they started drinking cows' milk - Cows' milk ' just like soda ' is a commercial product that is sold to the public by the dairy industry that has billions of dollars behind it in advertising and enjoys government protection from false advertising laws* - Whether it's cow's milk, goat's milk, sheep's milk, buffalo's milk, rat's milk, or dog's milk, it is totally unnecessary for human survival and health

Not only are we the only animal that drinks another animal's milk, we are the only animal that drinks it into adulthood - All female mammals produce milk for the same reason: to feed and nourish their offspring - At a certain age, depending on the mammal, the infant is able to move onto solid food and is weaned off of the mother's milk ' every mammal, that is, except humans

Despite the fact that humans don't continue drinking human milk after being weaned, we're told we have to drink cows' milk - And despite the fact that calves naturally stop drinking cows' milk after they're weaned, humans have been duped into believing that they must drink it as adults - Our own physiology supports the cessation of milk-drinking in that - at about time time when we should be weaned off of breast milk - our bodies stop producing lactase, the enzyme that enables us to digest lactose, the sugar that's in mammalian milk - One of the reasons the majority of the world population suffers from lactose intolerance is because we're not able to digest it - Drinking milk - human or otherwise - into adulthood makes absolutely no sense, but it makes really good business and very good money

TAKING BACK THE WORD

The dairy industry has made attempts to own the word "milk" and stop non-dairy milk companies from using the word; they loathe the use of the word "milk" in any other context outside of that which refers to the stuff they take from cows and sell to humans - (Perhaps they would prefer human women to say "breast beverage" instead of "breast milk") - Besides referring to the fluid that a female produces when she is lactating, the word "milk" also refers to the liquid extracted from various plants, whether they are nuts, grains, seeds, or fruits - Many of these milks have been around for thousands of years in different parts of the world - The milk from these plants are hardly "alternatives" - Rather, they stand on their own as delicious and much healthier choices for human consumption

SOY
Soy milk originated in China, a region where the soybean was native and used as food long before the existence of written records - Later on, the soybean and soybean foods were transplanted to Japan - Soy milk is reputed to have been discovered and developed in the Han Dynasty in China about 164 B C Cow's milk is definitely the "alternative" to soy milk, particularly in the East - Sadly and ironically, however, the consuption of cow's milk now exceeds that of soy milk in Japan - The advertising arms of the North American dairy industry reach far and wide

RICE
If you've ever been to a traditional Mexican restaurant, you've had the pleasure of imbibing Horchata, a delicious sweet beverage made primarily of rice, sugar, and cinnamon – and often almonds - The Mexican Horchata is based on the Spanish Horchata de Chufa, which was traditionally made from a grassy plant called the Chufa or tiger nut and has its origin in ancient Egypt and Sudan

NUT
Almond milk – by far my favorite! – was used widely in the Middle Ages in regions stretching from the Iberian Peninsula to East Asia - It was prized for its high protein content and its ability to keep better than milk from animals, which soured if it wasn't used right away - Milk derived from other nuts also has a long history, including that of walnut, cashews, peanuts, macadamia, and hazelnuts

COCONUT
The milk of the young coconut is referred to as coconut water or coconut juice and is absolutely delicious and drunk as a beverage - It's been a popular drink in the tropics since the discovery of the coconut palm tree! (Early Sanskrit writings reveal that the people of India were using coconuts as a staple for food) -0 It's naturally fat-free and low in calories with high nutrition content - (Coconut milk is the thick sweet, milky white substance derived from the meat of a mature coconut and is often used for cooking and not for drinking)

FOLLOWING THE COWS' LEAD
The bottom line is we have no nutritional requirement for the milk of another animal - Though we have nutritional requirements for nutrients such as calcium, we can do what the cows do and get our minerals from the green leafy stuff that grows in the ground - That news, however, hasn't quite made its way to our living rooms and classrooms - The kale growers don't seem to have the money for multi-million-dollar ad campaigns (got kale?); the chard lobby has yet to be formed; and the broccoli farmers just haven't gotten around to producing glossy marketing materials (I mean - "educational" materials) for young children in school to compete with those that the dairy industry have been supplying to teachers for decades - Get them while they're young, and you've got them for life

Though humans have been drinking the milk of animals for thousands of years, there is enough evidence now to support the detrimental effects it has on our bodies - Just because we're in the habit of doing something doesn't mean we should continue - Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should

2 great videos about Dairy cows and their babies. Got empathy? Just try and imagine if we suddenly were forced to share this planet with a more advanced and dominant alien species who used humans for their secretions and flesh as food and the same thing that happens to cows happened to us.

Milk Comes From Grieving Mother ~Truth About Organic Dairy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBprYs36tM

Forever Separated ~ Mother & Young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcc83aB2fSk

TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Re: The truth about MILK!!!!!!

Postby Primavera » Wed May 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Tripz,

There is nothing there that I was not fully aware of already, but thanks for reminding me of these facts. Are you vegan? I am vegetarian, with thoughts of eating a vegan diet because of these things which you highlight. When I think of very young calves being taken from their mothers so that I can have milk in my tea, I feel that I am colluding with the practice, which I am, of course.

Edit: have you read Jeffrey Masson's, "The Pig Who Sang To The Moon."? A friend who keeps hens said she had to stop reading after chapter one or she'd never eat another piece of chicken! It's not a book of horror stories, but about the intelligence of animals.
"I can no longer observe such pleased mad faces."
("Killers," by Alice Walker.)

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/
Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby PantsOfGanga » Wed May 28, 2008 5:59 pm

Just to be awkward, I eat meat and enjoy it greatly, thank you very much. I do my best to buy ethically reared meat, though. I was a vegetarian for years, but got lured back by a bacon butty a decade back. :mrgreen:

But I don't touch dairy that often and only have soya milk. Strange for about the first 3 days, then you get used to it and now I'd never go back because cows milk tastes vile to me. Unsweetened Alpro is my favourite as some brands are just disgusting - don't touch the So Good stuff coz it should be done under the trades descriptions act.
Thought for the day: Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
PantsOfGanga
On Parole

Postby Lumpy Leopard » Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm

My daughter decided to become vegan, it was quite difficult at first cos I wanted to be sure she got all the vits and minerals etc. But after reading some info from viva (why did they get heather mills in, she really is annoying) and a good vegan cook book, I realised it's not that difficult at all, in fact it can actually be far cheaper for shopping as well, cos when you read the labels of most processed food, it will always contain milk products or egg, so we actually cook stuff from scratch, and will have a plate of mashed carrot and turnip with brocoli and vegan gravy powder, costs about 65p per head! but also I've noticed that some of the basics range in the supermarkets for example tesco saver tomato sauce, morrisons cookies, etc are safe for her to eat, cos the dont add the expensive animal ingredients to improve the taste, and she was delighted she could have choc chip cookies again, also the free from alternative range is growing all the time a lot of which excludes gluten as well, which I am intolerant to, in fact we just discovered dairy free, cholesterol free, gluten free ice cream - tis the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted :D
Freedom of Speech 03/05/07 R.I.P
Lumpy Leopard
Suspect

Postby PantsOfGanga » Wed May 28, 2008 6:15 pm

Lumpy Leopard wrote:in fact we just discovered dairy free, cholesterol free, gluten free ice cream - tis the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted :D

Fancy dropping that bombshell on us then not telling us the make of it! Come on, spill the beans! :wink:
Thought for the day: Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
PantsOfGanga
On Parole

Postby Primavera » Wed May 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Lumpy Leopard wrote:My daughter decided to become vegan, it was quite difficult at first cos I wanted to be sure she got all the vits and minerals etc. But after reading some info from viva (why did they get heather mills in, she really is annoying) and a good vegan cook book, I realised it's not that difficult at all, in fact it can actually be far cheaper for shopping as well, cos when you read the labels of most processed food, it will always contain milk products or egg, so we actually cook stuff from scratch, and will have a plate of mashed carrot and turnip with brocoli and vegan gravy powder, costs about 65p per head! but also I've noticed that some of the basics range in the supermarkets for example tesco saver tomato sauce, morrisons cookies, etc are safe for her to eat, cos the dont add the expensive animal ingredients to improve the taste, and she was delighted she could have choc chip cookies again, also the free from alternative range is growing all the time a lot of which excludes gluten as well, which I am intolerant to, in fact we just discovered dairy free, cholesterol free, gluten free ice cream - tis the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted :D

That must be, "Stuff in a tub," from Mr Booja Booja methinks! I have all flavours in the freezer and especially love Coconut Hullabaloo. I don't know what to call it though, cos it's not ice cream, since it's vegan!

Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby Primavera » Wed May 28, 2008 6:34 pm

PantsOfGanga wrote:
Lumpy Leopard wrote:in fact we just discovered dairy free, cholesterol free, gluten free ice cream - tis the most delicious ice cream I have ever tasted :D

Fancy dropping that bombshell on us then not telling us the make of it! Come on, spill the beans! :wink:

Booja Booja! Mr Booja Booja also makes the most amazing chocs!

Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby saloongirl » Wed May 28, 2008 6:37 pm

Did anyone see that programme last night on what we ate 300 years ago? That was enough to turn you vegetarian if you already weren't. And killing the eel live on tv just to make a programme - disgusting.
SAVE A HORSE - RIDE A COWBOY
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby PantsOfGanga » Wed May 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Will be checking the health food shop tomorrow for some Booja Booja!

The way food prices are rocketing, I might have to go vegan to afford to eat anyway. :lol:
PantsOfGanga
On Parole

Postby Primavera » Wed May 28, 2008 6:45 pm

PantsOfGanga wrote:Will be checking the health food shop tomorrow for some Booja Booja!

The way food prices are rocketing, I might have to go vegan to afford to eat anyway. :lol:

Booja Booja is not sold in supermarkets...says so on the tub! You won't, however, be buying at the bargain end of the market! (Just checking the tubs!) £4.98 for 500mls!

Primavera
First Time Offender

Postby Lumpy Leopard » Wed May 28, 2008 6:54 pm

PantsOfGanga wrote:

:lol: swedish glace, it comes in various flavours, but the most common one in supermarkets is the vanilla, £1.99 for a 750ml tub in Morries, approx £1.49 in tesco, but i got it in asda for £1.34 a tub. However, tesco also do the larger tub of neopolitan for £2.99 - to die for. You can find it in with the normal ice cream , it's in a black hexagonal tub!
Lumpy Leopard
Suspect

Postby Lumpy Leopard » Wed May 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Yeah the booja booja is nice, but pricey and as there are no local stockists near me, I have to buy it online, so even more expensive. But the supermarkets are getting their act together and the free from range is expanding and coming down in price, and sometimes you can find some surprising free from items that you wouldn't expect, without the price tag, but the label reading is a killer, my eyes are skelly after a trip round the supermarket, I'm sure the writing on the labels is getting smaller! Though it's prob just another marketing ploy by tesco to get you to go and use their optician service whilst you're in the store :wink:
Lumpy Leopard
Suspect

Postby PantsOfGanga » Wed May 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Lumpy Leopard wrote: :lol: swedish glace, it comes in various flavours, but the most common one in supermarkets is the vanilla, £1.99 for a 750ml tub in Morries, approx £1.49 in tesco, but i got it in asda for £1.34 a tub. However, tesco also do the larger tub of neopolitan for £2.99 - to die for. You can find it in with the normal ice cream , it's in a black hexagonal tub!

I used to get that years and years ago and it is very, very nice from what I can remember. I think my local Morrissons does it. I'm not big on frozen ice cream type stuff, but I've had a hankering for some with tinned fruit all week and I don't fancy having ice cream and it making me snotty and sneezy like milk does to me.
PantsOfGanga
On Parole

Postby DaughtersofEriN » Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Excellent thread!
Am vegan but because of health probs am on a prescription liquid food-have been for 4 years-which luckily for me is vegan!
There are a lot more dairy free products available now-mainly, I think in response to peoples increased health concerns re allergies etc-rather than poor calves' welfare.
That said, if folks want to save veal calves-answers'simple-don't drink milk! :D
YOU CANNOT SEARCH FOR THAT WHICH IS NOT LOST.
DaughtersofEriN
New In Town

Postby blimthepixie » Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Only have soya milk in my house :D They kids are used to it now, but boy did they wail the first 4 months :(
blimthepixie
First Time Offender

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink