HLUHLUWE-UMFOLOZI-LEOPARD ATTACKS TOURIST

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

HLUHLUWE-UMFOLOZI-LEOPARD ATTACKS TOURIST

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 23, 2008 11:11 am

A Visitor to the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi game park is in hospital after an attack by a leopard last night.

The attack occurred in the MPILA Camp while the man was braaing.(barbecue to you). The man was outside on his own while his family were inside the bungalow.

The man was to undergo emergency surgery last night.

A nurse at Richards Bay Hospital said he had been conscious when he had been admitted. "He was xxxxxxxx badly when he came in, but he is in a stable condition. He is fully awake and even joking" she said.

Now what I want to say is that we have stayed in MPILA CAMP ourselves. There are NO Fences around it! That is what makes it so special!. One night my husband and I were braaing when my husband grabbed the flashlight from me and said "Jesus there is a Hyena trying to creep up on us". When my husband shone the light on him, he retreated. He was after the meat obviously so we
had to be on our toes the rest of the braai. One morning early we awoke to find a herd of buffalo on our lawn.

I just want to say that I am so sad that this has happened as now I think the Parks Board will fence MPILA in. South Africans mostly go there as the foreigners tend to stay in the very sophisticated HILLTOPS camp which has hight voltage electrified fences around it. However even there, the buck do come into camp. They are so clever, as they feel safer there at night. One day an elephant managed to just walk into the camp and I believe was causing havoc. Such an exciting place to go, I can't wait for my visit next month.

I am yet to see a Leopard in Hulhluwe-Umfolozi! They are normally so shy and difficult to see. We have been going to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi every year for the past 12 years! What an unfortunate incident as Parks Board have hunted this poor animal down to destroy it! :x :x
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Re: HLUHLUWE-UMFOLOZI-LEOPARD ATTACKS TOURIST

Postby Sandie » Fri May 23, 2008 12:01 pm

SUGARBABE, I saw that on our news, but I mean did these foreigners also get lulled into a false sense of security. And that with all the wild animals in KZN in the game park.
Well we are going to Mabaliwnge tomorrow. Have you heard of it- it is north just past Bela Bela (previously called Warmbaths).

This school friend of mine from 1970 has a private farm there, and the big 5 are there.
He has a magnificent place. Sleeping room for 8 couples. Jacuzzi and Rock Pool. He takes us on game drives. November last year we saw a herd of Elephant about 3 metres away from the Jeep and they had had a baby. This baby elephant was the cutest thing you have ever seen.

We have braai's (barbeques for the English and Americans) every night. You know the South African's and our carnivore appetites. So we have steak, chops and of course boerewors (sausages for the English and Americans) No patties. That we only have on McDonalds's and Steers Hamburgers.

We never get out of the Jeep as it is too dangerous, but view all the animals from the vehicle. The last time we were there, there were Chinese tourists with white masks on.
We could not understand what the devil they were wearing these masks for, but thought maybe because of the dust on the sandy roads.

Warthog are full up at the House and they can get quiet tame, especially if you feed them.
We stopped at a fenced off picnic spot and 3 giraffe stood watching us from over the fence.

We should get together some time.
Sandie
Suspect

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Oh Sandie,

I'm quite jealous! What is it about us South Africans, we just can't get enough of the bush and our wonderful wildlife. Thank goodness we are so lucky. It makes up for all the other hardships we have to endure. Africa is not for the fainthhearted that's for sure.

Enjoy your weekend! Have a dop on me at sunset.
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby marian » Fri May 23, 2008 12:29 pm

Hoegaandit almal?

You bring back many fond memories with your discussion.

I worked at Addington hospital in the early 90's and remember Hluhluwe with great fondness. First night we shat ourselves because we didn't know why the lights had gone out. Not knowing about the generator.

The giraffe's were magnificent.
"whoever she's with she'll be giving them their tuppenceworth"
marian
First Time Offender

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 23, 2008 1:23 pm

marian wrote:Hoegaandit almal?

You bring back many fond memories with your discussion.

I worked at Addington hospital in the early 90's and remember Hluhluwe with great fondness. First night we shat ourselves because we didn't know why the lights had gone out. Not knowing about the generator.

The giraffe's were magnificent.

AANGENAAMEKENNIS MARION!

Lord girl, you wouldn't put your foot near Addington Hospital now!

Marian, Hilltops has become SOO larney. They even have outside lighting which is VERY bright and STAYS ON ALL NIGHT LONG!

You want to see the new Chalets.! All done of course to eng
courage the overseas visitors! That is why we poor old locals have to pay through our noses to stay there! For them it's dirt cheap. For us it's a fortune. I have paid R2000 (130 Pounds) for two nights in a two bedded Chalet. They don't do 1 bedroom chalets unfortunately.
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 23, 2008 2:32 pm

I have decided to recount an experience which I had in the OLD HILLTOPS CAMP and which will live in my memory forever.

About twenty years ago I stayed with my ex and all three daughters there. We were asigned to two rondavels (round thatched huts). My ex in one hut and I and the twin girls in another. It was pouring with rain that weekend so not very nice. However one went to bed in those days very early as lights went out a 8pm. So you just had to go to bed. I was awoken in the early hours of the morning (it was still dark) as I needed the loo. We were provided with torches so that if nature called you would walk to the ablution block with your torch! Now I had been WARNED not to do that by an Old Zulu Man who worked in the kitchens. He said " Madam don't walk here at night, the lions walk all around the camp every night" You can see their eyes in the darkness. I was quite shocked, but heeded his warning just in case. In any event was I supposed to hit the lion over the head with the torch?

So when nature called I sensibly pulled the potty out from under the bed (which was provided for scaredy cats like me). Then I heard it. The low almost inaudable roar of a lion. I thought nothing of it, but the roars grew louder and more persistant. At first I thought that they were on the perimeter of the camp. Then I realized they were walking around my hut! I didn't need to wake my little girls as they had already been woken by the roars. Then I heard a bump against my stable door! I thought it was my ex who was worried about me. I called out his name but heard no reply. Now what was most worrying was that the bolt on the bottom half of my stable door was broken! Whilst it did not bother me during the day. I was now petrified.! Fortunately all became quiet again and the girls and I went back to sleep.

The next morning at first light a lioness was SEEN casually walking around in the camp with two large cubs!

I was most thankful for the warning from the old man in the Kitchen! He may have saved my life!
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby Southerncross » Sat May 24, 2008 10:35 pm

Thank you SB,Sandie and Marian :D

I am counting the days...181 until I experience the Bush again!

I have visited the Kruger more than 1000 times, love the Kalahari and Etosha and Umfolozi and Hluhluwe.Very homesick :cry:
Southerncross
You're Nicked

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink