SEE ELEPHANT ENCOUNTER IN HLUHLUWE!

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

SEE ELEPHANT ENCOUNTER IN HLUHLUWE!

Postby SUGARBABE » Mon May 19, 2008 7:58 pm

I don't know if anyone has already seen this. I am going to Hluhluwe next month. So I thought this was relevant. I have been visiting the game reserve for the past twelve years. Hubby and I are crazy about the place. Anyone been yet?

As far as the Big Bull Elephant goes they sometimes do behave like that when they are feeling frisky. We had a similar encounter two years ago. A large bull was standing in the middle of the road, and was angrily tearing branches off trees. He would not let any cars pass, so we had to reverse into the bush and turn around for safety sake. By the way this incident happened near the Memorial Gate which is where the resident heard of about 150 usually hang outd. But believe me it's not always easy to see them as they disappear so quickly into the thick growth.

We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Re: SEE ELEPHANT ENCOUNTER IN HLUHLUWE!

Postby SUGARBABE » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm

By the way here is the link and the article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -kind.html ...
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby miffed » Mon May 19, 2008 8:53 pm

I'd seen this (over the weekend) and wondered if this would make world news. I cannot imagine the fear that these people must've been feeling. :shock: I saw another photo that showed the elephant's foot on the car bonnet.

The article that I read spoke about the problems they used to have with young elephants during mating season... they were killing other animals. Older elephants had to be introduced to the reserve to control the young elephants.
miffed
On Parole

Postby SUGARBABE » Mon May 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Yes miffed, and they showed ANOTHER photo of the elephant standing with his FOOT on the bonnet! in our local Sunday Tribune yesterday!. My daughter drives a Chico Golf and they are such small cars. I can well imagine this Swiss couple's terror!

I hope we see this Herd of Elephants next month, as I was so disappointed that we only saw one elephant in Hluhluwe last year. I am going to buy a digital camera before my trip so I can post any exciting pics to you all! But I don't want an experience like this one!
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby perrito » Mon May 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Scary. We had a similar encounter on the Masai Mara. One very large lone bull Elephant. Our driver got very excited and said it was one rarely seen but occasionally it came over from the Tanzania side. We stayed some distance away watching it then it decided to come and investigate us, believe me I was terrified. We had an open top Jeep and the Elephant was investigating us with his trunk. Fortunately he got bored and eventually ambled away. Got a couple of great photos though, well the driver took them, I was much too shaky.

Just for interest, the driver we had that day was one of the drivers for Big Cat Diary, a very experienced driver and game ranger. Thank goodness :)
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby SUGARBABE » Tue May 20, 2008 9:49 am

perrito wrote:Scary. We had a similar encounter on the Masai Mara. One very large lone bull Elephant. Our driver got very excited and said it was one rarely seen but occasionally it came over from the Tanzania side. We stayed some distance away watching it then it decided to come and investigate us, believe me I was terrified. We had an open top Jeep and the Elephant was investigating us with his trunk. Fortunately he got bored and eventually ambled away. Got a couple of great photos though, well the driver took them, I was much too shaky.

Just for interest, the driver we had that day was one of the drivers for Big Cat Diary, a very experienced driver and game ranger. Thank goodness :)

Perrito,

So you lived in Kenya. There is nothing quite like Africa. No wonder you have to keep returning. It gets under your skin. :bounce:
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby perrito » Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Yes I lived in Kenya Sugarbabe. Here is the elephant I mentioned, he was on his way over to have a look at us at this point.

living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink