Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby cushty » Fri May 09, 2008 4:16 pm

I used to enjoy pasta dishes, but recently took to adding a drop or two of chilli sauce to them

now a bottle which used to last a month barely lasts a week

strong hot flavours are definitely addictive - I may have to consider emigrating to South Africa, by the sound of it
User avatar
cushty
Mafia Boss
 
Posts: 3271
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 09, 2008 4:58 pm

cushty wrote:I used to enjoy pasta dishes, but recently took to adding a drop or two of chilli sauce to them

now a bottle which used to last a month barely lasts a week

strong hot flavours are definitely addictive - I may have to consider emigrating to South Africa, by the sound of it



Cush, many years ago I met a very charming Canadian Lady on a train whilst travelling through Germany. We could not stop talking! We were both sad when she had to alight at her stop. What stories we swapped!

Anyway what I want to know is what do you think about the Natal Curry Contest! What a laugh hey!

If you ever come over I will cook you my curry specials. I taught my Brit husband how to cook PROPER CURRY and now he has become the master! Oh well. You know what they say, Male Chefs are the best!
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
User avatar
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 09, 2008 5:09 pm

inthedark wrote:
bomaris wrote:Prepare to be a 40 stone plus Canadian...


:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I'm probably pretty close to that now!! :wink:


Don't worry "In the dark" SO IS MY HUBBY! And he is a brilliant curry cook!
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
User avatar
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby cushty » Fri May 09, 2008 6:38 pm

I've always found spicy dishes a great help in losing weight, because you can still have dishes full of flavour

I don't eat meat, so make huge curries with loads of vegetables and a fairly small portion of rice - I use a lot of tinned beans and chickpeas too

not only delicious but cheap food too - the secret is not too much oil - and I must admit I prefer these curries with creme fraiche, but try to do without to keep the calories down

do AMericans eat Indian food?
User avatar
cushty
Mafia Boss
 
Posts: 3271
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 09, 2008 6:49 pm

cushty wrote:I've always found spicy dishes a great help in losing weight, because you can still have dishes full of flavour

I don't eat meat, so make huge curries with loads of vegetables and a fairly small portion of rice - I use a lot of tinned beans and chickpeas too

not only delicious but cheap food too - the secret is not too much oil - and I must admit I prefer these curries with creme fraiche, but try to do without to keep the calories down

do AMericans eat Indian food?



Cush, We only cook with Virgin Extra Olive Oil. However, I am yet to believe that curries are fattening.
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
User avatar
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby Sandie » Fri May 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Cushty, no the Americans do not like Indian food. They love hamburgers and french fries, which we would call chips, 'you know like fish & chips'. My sister in law lives in San Diego now and their diet is MacDonalds, Jack's Burgers and Toasted Sandwiches. Her husband an ex South African still makes a very good curry and they find this curry powder at the Asian Market in the suburb next to Rancho Banero. The Asians (mainly Koreans) are also the only people there in San Diego with fresh vegetables and fruit at their market stalls. That is why Gail & Theo now have a weight problem. They left here very thin, and are now very obese.
Sandie
Suspect
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby Sandie » Fri May 09, 2008 8:59 pm

Cushty you can also try a very hot & spicy sauce called Lea & Perrins. It comes from England and when I can find it in the supermarket, I buy a whole lot of bottles. Also use it sometimes instead of Tobasco on Raw Oysters. Fabulous !!!!
Sandie
Suspect
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby Roshana » Tue May 13, 2008 5:40 am

SUGARBABE wrote:As we are on about Curries, I thought I would send you this for a laugh.

NATAL CURRY COMPETITION

Note: Please take time to read this slowly.
For those of you who have lived in Natal, you know how typical this is.
They actually have a Curry Cook-off about June/July.
It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the Royal Show in PMB.
Judge #3 was an inexperienced food critic named Frank, who was visiting
From America.
Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a
Curry Cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment
and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for
directions to the Beer Garden when the call came in. I was assured by
the other two judges (Natal Indians) that the curry wouldn't be all that spicy and,
besides, they told me I could have free beer during the
tasting, so I accepted".
Here are the scorecard notes from the event:
CURRY # 1 - SEELAN'S MANIAC MONSTER TOMATO CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 -- Nice smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) -- Holy xxxx, what the hell is this stuff? You could
remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the
flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These people are crazy.
CHILI #2 - PHOENIX BBQ CHICKEN CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of chicken. Slight chili tang.
Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what
I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who
Wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver! They had to rush in more beer
When they saw the look on my face.
CURRY # 3 - SHAMILA'S FAMOUS "BURN DOWN THE GARAGE" CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse curry. Great kick.
Judge # 2 -- A bit salty, good use of chili peppers.
Judge # 3 -- Call 911. I've located a uraniums pill. My nose feels like
I have been snorting Drain Cleaner. Everyone knows the routine by now.
Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone
is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting p***** from all the beer.
CHILI # 4 - BABOO'S BLACK MAGIC BEAN CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- Black bean curry with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or
other mild foods, not much of a curry.
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable
to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Shareen, the
beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 200kg woman is
starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?
CHILI # 5 LALL'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER...
Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong curry. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding
considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 -- Average beef curry, could use more tomato. Must admit the
chili peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no
longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The
contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage.
Shareen saved my tongue from xxxxxxxx by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher.
I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges
asked me to stop screaming. Screw them.
CHILI # 6 - VERISHNEE'S VEGETARIAN VARIETY...
Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety curry. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous,
sulfuric flames. I am definitely going to xxxx myself if I fart and I'm
worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand
behind me except that Shareen. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to
wipe my ass with a snow cone ice-cream.
CHILI # 7 - SELINA'S "MOTHER-IN-LAW'S-TONGUE" CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- A mediocre curry with too much reliance on canned
peppers.
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a
can of chili peppers at the last moment. (I should take note at this
stage that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit
of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably).
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I
wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds
like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with curry which
slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my
shirt. At least, during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've
decided to stop breathing- it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting
any oxygen anyway. If I need air I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch
hole in my stomach.
CHILI # 8 - NAIDOO'S TOENAIL CURLING CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending. This is a nice blend curry. Not too bold
but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced curry. Neither mild
nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted,
passed out, fell over and pulled the curry pot down on top of himself.
Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor man, wonder how he'd have
reacted to really hot curry?
Judge # 3 - No Report.


OMG!! I'm sitting here laughing so hard and soo loud. The poor dog is looking at me like I've lost my mind. This is too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
User avatar
Roshana
New In Town
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby SUGARBABE » Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 am

Roshana I'm going to bump this one as I don't think many people have seen it.

It is really brilliant!
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
User avatar
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby OoBubblesoO » Wed May 14, 2008 9:55 am

SUGARBABE wrote:As we are on about Curries, I thought I would send you this for a laugh.

NATAL CURRY COMPETITION

Note: Please take time to read this slowly.
For those of you who have lived in Natal, you know how typical this is.
They actually have a Curry Cook-off about June/July.
It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the Royal Show in PMB.
Judge #3 was an inexperienced food critic named Frank, who was visiting
From America.
Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a
Curry Cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment
and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for
directions to the Beer Garden when the call came in. I was assured by
the other two judges (Natal Indians) that the curry wouldn't be all that spicy and,
besides, they told me I could have free beer during the
tasting, so I accepted".
Here are the scorecard notes from the event:
CURRY # 1 - SEELAN'S MANIAC MONSTER TOMATO CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 -- Nice smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) -- Holy xxxx, what the hell is this stuff? You could
remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the
flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These people are crazy.
CHILI #2 - PHOENIX BBQ CHICKEN CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of chicken. Slight chili tang.
Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what
I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who
Wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver! They had to rush in more beer
When they saw the look on my face.
CURRY # 3 - SHAMILA'S FAMOUS "BURN DOWN THE GARAGE" CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse curry. Great kick.
Judge # 2 -- A bit salty, good use of chili peppers.
Judge # 3 -- Call 911. I've located a uraniums pill. My nose feels like
I have been snorting Drain Cleaner. Everyone knows the routine by now.
Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone
is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting p***** from all the beer.
CHILI # 4 - BABOO'S BLACK MAGIC BEAN CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- Black bean curry with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or
other mild foods, not much of a curry.
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable
to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Shareen, the
beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 200kg woman is
starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?
CHILI # 5 LALL'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER...
Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong curry. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding
considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 -- Average beef curry, could use more tomato. Must admit the
chili peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no
longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The
contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage.
Shareen saved my tongue from xxxxxxxx by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher.
I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges
asked me to stop screaming. Screw them.
CHILI # 6 - VERISHNEE'S VEGETARIAN VARIETY...
Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety curry. Good balance of spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous,
sulfuric flames. I am definitely going to xxxx myself if I fart and I'm
worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand
behind me except that Shareen. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to
wipe my ass with a snow cone ice-cream.
CHILI # 7 - SELINA'S "MOTHER-IN-LAW'S-TONGUE" CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- A mediocre curry with too much reliance on canned
peppers.
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a
can of chili peppers at the last moment. (I should take note at this
stage that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit
of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably).
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I
wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds
like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with curry which
slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my
shirt. At least, during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've
decided to stop breathing- it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting
any oxygen anyway. If I need air I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch
hole in my stomach.
CHILI # 8 - NAIDOO'S TOENAIL CURLING CURRY...
Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending. This is a nice blend curry. Not too bold
but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced curry. Neither mild
nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted,
passed out, fell over and pulled the curry pot down on top of himself.
Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor man, wonder how he'd have
reacted to really hot curry?
Judge # 3 - No Report.


:lol: :lol: I am literally peeing myself here!

I love curries, any type. I usually have one every day (and i'm like a rake lol) My favourite is vindaloo. The hotter the better!

Curries are good for you as well. Apparently they help avoid certain cancers (dunno how far true that is) I couldn't live without curry.

Thanks for the laugh Sugarbabe....I've snagged it to send to my brothers :D :lol: :lol:
User avatar
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am
Location: North East England

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby Southerncross » Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 pm

SUGARBABE wrote:Roshana I'm going to bump this one as I don't think many people have seen it.

It is really brilliant!

SUGARBABE, PLEASE post us a good Durban/Natal Curry recipe and where near Umhlanga can I have a good curry in December?
Southerncross
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby SUGARBABE » Sun May 18, 2008 5:40 pm

Southerncross wrote:
SUGARBABE wrote:Roshana I'm going to bump this one as I don't think many people have seen it.

It is really brilliant!

SUGARBABE, PLEASE post us a good Durban/Natal Curry recipe and where near Umhlanga can I have a good curry in December?



Hi Southerncross,

You have to have the ingredients from Gorimas in Musgrave Centre.... We cook from the head, we don't measure it just comes naturally. Been experimenting too long, but you can now go back to Seabelle in Westbrook Beach as the original owner has taken over again!! Ann Stevens our gourmet newspaper guide went back and said it was good! So good luck just don't be put off by the sign outside which says NO DRUGS ALLOWED OR FIRE ARMS. Or you should try PALKI at 225 Musgrave Road, Berea. Here is the write up from Ann Stevens:

"Decked out in oriental style, this first-floor set of rooms boast chefs from India and a comprehensive menu. Influences are drawn from north and south. No smoking." ( Which is why I haven't been. Alan and I both smoke.)

But maybe rather go for Seabelle at Westbrook Beach as it is maybe a little nearer to you guys. Good luck.
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
User avatar
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby cushty » Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Sandie wrote:Cushty you can also try a very hot & spicy sauce called Lea & Perrins. It comes from England and when I can find it in the supermarket, I buy a whole lot of bottles. Also use it sometimes instead of Tobasco on Raw Oysters. Fabulous !!!!



do you mean Worcester sauce?

I like it best in Bl oody Marys

must get some tabasco though
User avatar
cushty
Mafia Boss
 
Posts: 3271
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby Southerncross » Sun May 18, 2008 6:38 pm

Thank you SB :)
I'll make a note of the name and will certainly try them. I usually buy my "curry mix" in Natal and fly it all the way back to the UK.
Southerncross
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:38 pm

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby SUGARBABE » Sun May 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Southerncross wrote:Thank you SB :)
I'll make a note of the name and will certainly try them. I usually buy my "curry mix" in Natal and fly it all the way back to the UK.



Do try to Gorimas in Musgrave Centre. They are very helpful. My daughter who lives in Aus takes them back in Vacumn packs so that they don't burst on the plane. That is the safest method of transportation.
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
User avatar
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests