Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

Re: Curry - now I know what all the fuss is about!

Postby HawkEyes1 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:47 pm

cushty wrote:I've always found spicy dishes a great help in losing weight, because you can still have dishes full of flavour

I don't eat meat, so make huge curries with loads of vegetables and a fairly small portion of rice - I use a lot of tinned beans and chickpeas too

not only delicious but cheap food too - the secret is not too much oil - and I must admit I prefer these curries with creme fraiche, but try to do without to keep the calories down

do AMericans eat Indian food?

I am not American, although I live in the States! I can remember a time when there was only one Indian restuarant in the whole of Chicago. New York City and Washington, DC, had only a couple, but all of that has changed, since there is an increasingly large Indian population in the US. When I first came to live in Northern New England, I don't even remember seeing an Indian restaurant, but in a small college town near where I live, there are now two Indian restaurants. Not very good, I am afraid, unlike some of the excellent Indian restaurants in the UK. We do, however, have a marvellous Cooperative Store with an extensive international food section, so I can buy all of the spices I need there and cook at home. At one time, I used to stock up on spices on my trips back to the UK.

Indian friends were surprised that I was cooking Indian food, but they were even more amazed when they saw that my little Pomeranian dog loves a good lamb or chicken curry with Basmati rice too. He has a passion for it!

Thai restaurants are very popular here, although that cuisine's curries can be blisteringly hot... I particularly like their curries, using coconut milk, which is often used in South Indian cooking. You can now purchase a "lite" version of coconut milk and this would be a good subsitute for creme fraiche but, cushty, have you tried substituing low fat yogurt?
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Have any of you curry lovers tried my Spicy Cumin Lemon Shrimp recipe yet on THE THREE ARGUIDOS COOKERY BOOK thread? You can see it at:

http://3as.madeleinemccann.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3620

It is a truly delectable dish, and yet it is very easy and very quick to make!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby cushty » Mon May 19, 2008 8:22 pm

I've substituted creme fraiche for thick greek yoghurt, but find

a) it tends to curdle too easily and

b) I eat the rest of the pot with Greek honey, which rather defeats the object of cutting the calories!

I will try the low-fat kind, but am very prejudiced against anything with that label on - which is no doubt why I am always trying to lose weight :oops:
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby HawkEyes1 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:25 pm

cushty wrote:I've substituted creme fraiche for thick greek yoghurt, but find

a) it tends to curdle too easily and

b) I eat the rest of the pot with Greek honey, which rather defeats the object of cutting the calories!

I will try the low-fat kind, but am very prejudiced against anything with that label on - which is no doubt why I am always trying to lose weight :oops:

I also hate low-fat versions of anything, cushty, and have the same prejudice! I find the yogurt doesn't curdle if you add it at the last minute after removing the curry from the heat. There is a 2% Greek yogurt that I can get here in the States, and that works better than no fat.

But you must try the coconut milk!
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Mon May 19, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby cushty » Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 pm

do you have a vegetarian recipe using it?

one with chickpeas preferably, as I love those
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby HawkEyes1 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:30 pm

cushty wrote:do you have a vegetarian recipe using it?

one with chickpeas preferably, as I love those

I'll see what I can find in my Asian and Indian cookery books, cushty.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Previous

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink