SEA SURFING HIPPO IN KZN

There are many forum members, that come from various Countries, so this is the place to post your favourite recipes for the 3A COOKERY BOOK, pictures, talk about your cultures, holiday recommendations and share with other members your Countries Culture. Also share your holiday snaps and your ventures whilst on holiday.

SEA SURFING HIPPO IN KZN

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 30, 2008 9:17 am

I couldn't resist sending this article. This hippo has been in the news the whole week. Anyone want to try to name the hippo as I would like to enter the competition. Remember a name which could be adapted to either male or female! Many thanks I would love to win!

Here is the article which appeared today in The Mercury:

Gallivanting hippo is beach-hopping home
30 May 2008, 07:50
Related ArticlesMystery hippo makes its way along coastlines
Warnings sound for beach bum hippo
Beach hopping hippo goes south
By Kamini Padayachee

The beach-hopping hippo whose travels have been tracked by locals along the north coast appears to be going back home .

South coast ecologist Paul Dutton said he had spotted the hippo between Tinley Manor and the Mvothi River on Wednesday.

"I flew at a low level along the coast following the spoor that petered out between Tinley Manor and the Mvothi River.

"It looks like the hippo is staying in the sea during the day and then coming out at night to graze and drink fresh water."

Dutton said he was concerned that people were getting too close to the hippo. "From my plane I could see the hippo's tracks and quite close to them were vehicle tracks. I think people are driving on to the beach to catch a glimpse of the hippo, which is quite worrying. They need to leave the animal alone because it is potentially dangerous."

Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife spokesperson Jeff Gaisford said: "We don't have its exact location, but our officials have seen spoor here and there and it looks like it is moving back up north. We think it came from Richards Bay and if it goes back to its home that would be excellent."

Dutton said the hippo's sighting brought back memories of Huberta the hippo. Huberta travelled from St Lucia to King William's Town in the Eastern Cape over three years in the late 1920s.

She was eventually killed by farmers in the Eastern Cape.

"Like Huberta, this hippo isn't causing harm to anyone and it shouldn't be disturbed. It would be nice if we could make it a legend like Huberta."

Dutton has launched a competition for people to submit names for the hippo.

The name has to be easily convertible from a male to a female name, as the hippo's sex has not yet been determined.

The best name will be judged by a panel of judges and the winner will get an hour's flight in Dutton's plane to track the hippo's movements on the north coast. The competition closes on Wednesday. Names can be e-mailed to kamini.padayachee@inl.co.za.

This article was originally published on page 4 of The Pretoria News on May 30, 2008
EMAIL STORY
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Re: SEA SURFING HIPPO IN KZN

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 30, 2008 9:25 am

Hi guys, just thought I would add this thread as there is a super pic of the surfing hippo. Maybe if you click on this thread you may be able to see it. I don't know why I can't find it on the website as it is on the front page today.

Anyway try this link:

www.themercury.co.za/?fSectionId=&fArti ... 890C280110 - 2 hours ago - Similar pages
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby Sandie » Fri May 30, 2008 10:21 am

Hi there SUGARBABE, that is super. Am flying down to KZN on Saturday 7th June near to Ballito, actually Umhlanga Rocks. Hope the Hippo is still there surfing the waves. I am sure going to enter this competition. I must just come up with a good name something with a Californian beat to it.
Sandie
Suspect

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 30, 2008 11:09 am

Sandie wrote:Hi there SUGARBABE, that is super. Am flying down to KZN on Saturday 7th June near to Ballito, actually Umhlanga Rocks. Hope the Hippo is still there surfing the waves. I am sure going to enter this competition. I must just come up with a good name something with a Californian beat to it.

Sandie, I am sure that the surfing hippo won't come down as far South as Umhlanga Rocks! I am not surprised she was seen at Tinley Manor - it's my favourite spot, very isolated and home to the multi millionares! I think he/she is on it's way back home to Richards Bay.
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 30, 2008 11:28 am

ok here is the link for photos of the hippo swimming in the surf at Ballito! Just go to the link for the most amazing pics!

Similar pages
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../article-1022276 ... -surf.html - 69k - Cached - Similar pages
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby SUGARBABE » Fri May 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Pictured: The hippo who ditched his muddy waters to catch some sun ...They are better known for wallowing in swamps rather than their surfing ... The hippo was spotted swimming in the sea in the South African holiday town of ...
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../article-1022276 ... -surf.html - 69k - Cached - Similar pages

JUST GOOGLE SEA SURFING HIPPO AND IT WILL TAKE YOUDOWN TO The hippo ditched muddy waters .... click on and you will see the pics. Unfortunately I don't know how to to photobucket. can anyone help please????
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Return to From Around the World - Living, Holiday, Food and Drink