boy kidnapped 16 years ago found - CNN

If you have problems then perhaps one of the members might have a suggestion or tell you how they coped with a certain situation. Also we could post links for all children that are missing and need to be found. All aspects of child welfare discussed here, new and old cases. Children that have been let down by Social Services and the authorities.

boy kidnapped 16 years ago found - CNN

Postby elaine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:42 am

Just thought I'd post some nice news for a change.

RIGA, Latvia (AP) -- A 16-year-old Latvian boy who was kidnapped as an infant has been placed in foster care and could soon be reunited with his mother after a startling break in the case, authorities said Wednesday.

Investigators made the discovery after the woman who raised the boy in Daugavpils, near the border with Belarus, was arrested in a separate case and questions arose about the boy's identity, police spokeswoman Inguna Dunda said.

The boy had no birth certificate or personal ID code -- obligatory in Latvia -- which prompted investigators to reopen the 1992 kidnapping case that was closed six years ago because of a lack of leads.

Dunda said investigators who worked on the case at the time recalled how the woman had gone shopping and left her child in a baby carriage outside a store. When she came back out, both the child and carriage had disappeared, she said.

A DNA test confirmed that the teenager was the boy who was kidnapped when he was one and a half months old, the State Police said.

The case has shocked Latvia, a country of 2.3 million, and particularly Daugavpils, whose 150,000 residents are mainly ethnic Russians.

The woman who raised the boy denied kidnapping him and told police her husband, who died several years ago, had brought the boy home claiming he came from the Russian region of Dagestan, Dunda said.

Authorities placed the boy in a foster family pending a custody hearing that will determine if he can live with his biological mother, who also lives in Daugavpils, Latvia's second largest city.

The Ministry for Children and Family Affairs said that the custody court would weigh all factors -- including the teenage boy's wish -- when deciding where he should live until he turns 18.

Dunda said the boy was the only child for both the biological and false mothers.

Police said boy has been removed from school and is receiving psychological help
elaine
New In Town

Re: boy kidnapped 16 years ago found - CNN

Postby farfromthe... » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 am

That's wonderful news for the birth mother who must be so relieved but what a nightmare for everyone else involved, the boy won't know his natural mother at all and his current mother may well be innocent.... what a tangled mess :cry:
Zero tolerance. If ignore doesn't work then I will name and shame culprits.
farfromthe...
Mafia Boss

Postby Dimsie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:05 am

I hope the boy's wishes as to where he wants to live will be respected; he has only known one home, through no fault of his own. He can at least now get to know his birth family, but I hope he's not passed around like pass the parcel or expected to have feelings straight away for people who to him are strangers.

But back to our home alone Team - how soon will the spin start, that's what I'd like to know? There hasn't been a trick missed so far so we all know what to expect. :roll:
Dimsie
First Time Offender

Postby Indiansummer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:13 am

Let us look what CM is making tomorrow with this wonderful news:
G. K. and send a message to the biological mother and her congratulations to the happy end of this case. And not forget, it should be noted, that they can understand their nightmare because their daughter Madleine was also kidnapped. And it is possible, that she is still alive and is treated like a princess ... 8)
"The truth is coming like a train"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yz3HTefNxfc
Indiansummer
Suspect

Postby farfromthe... » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:22 am

Well the OP thought it was relevant and I have no doubt a proportion of the british public might also see the relevancy. Every parent of a missing child, Ben Needhams mum for example will feel their hopes rising just a tiny bit everytime they hear a story such as this one, human nature to cling to hope isn't it.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if it is used by the tabloids as a way to shoehorn Madeleine back into the headlines again, she's nothing but a license to print money to them.
Zero tolerance. If ignore doesn't work then I will name and shame culprits.
farfromthe...
Mafia Boss

Postby elaine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:45 am

Completely different subject - Cuddle Cat.
This was supposedly Medeleine's favourite toy that she was never without but I thought it was a fourth birthday present from her uncle, but the thing is she didn't turn four until after she vanished so it was therefore given to her early (if I am correct in my assumption) so how much of a favourite toy can it have been if she only had it for a few days? Or did I get things all mixed up?
My daughter is four and her favourite cuddly toy is one given to her at birth that isn't allowed to be washed (I know its disgusting but its her toy not mine), new toys are interesting for a few hours/days but its always her old trusted friend that gets taken everywhere.

Pretty irrelevant stuff but I am a bit confused re: the pink cat that had no name except the one the manufacturer gave it (I have a list of all the names of my daughters cuddly toys as I can't remember them otherwise, there are a lot of them and they all have names given to them by her and they are never the name on the tag from the manufacturer), not much of a favourite toy in my book, especially when it smelt of cadavers as her mum took it to work with her, like we all do :-)
elaine
New In Town

Postby dumouchelwolf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:21 am

elaine wrote:Completely different subject - Cuddle Cat.
This was supposedly Medeleine's favourite toy that she was never without but I thought it was a fourth birthday present from her uncle, but the thing is she didn't turn four until after she vanished so it was therefore given to her early (if I am correct in my assumption) so how much of a favourite toy can it have been if she only had it for a few days? Or did I get things all mixed up?
My daughter is four and her favourite cuddly toy is one given to her at birth that isn't allowed to be washed (I know its disgusting but its her toy not mine), new toys are interesting for a few hours/days but its always her old trusted friend that gets taken everywhere.

Pretty irrelevant stuff but I am a bit confused re: the pink cat that had no name except the one the manufacturer gave it (I have a list of all the names of my daughters cuddly toys as I can't remember them otherwise, there are a lot of them and they all have names given to them by her and they are never the name on the tag from the manufacturer), not much of a favourite toy in my book, especially when it smelt of cadavers as her mum took it to work with her, like we all do :-)

It was her Uncle that bought cuddle cat for Madeleine. This was a birthday present for her, and I like you know that kids love cuddly toys, but if Madeleine was given that before her birthday I would say that it was not her favourite cuddly toy as she only got it. Kids love old teddies that they got usually when they were much younger and cling to them. My son got a teddy bought to him when he was born and he had it for years and years it went everywhere until it fell apart. So definately this was not Maddy's favourite toy. ,Kate used this as a prop as if she was clinging to her daughters favourite toy. The woman is a nut but plays to the public very very well.
HOPE THE PAELLA WAS WORTH IT MR and MRS McCANN.
dumouchelwolf
First Time Offender

Return to Missing Children, Child Welfare and Parent to Parent