In the wake of Khyra Ishaq......UPDATE NEWS

If you have problems then perhaps one of the members might have a suggestion or tell you how they coped with a certain situation. Also we could post links for all children that are missing and need to be found. All aspects of child welfare discussed here, new and old cases. Children that have been let down by Social Services and the authorities.

Re: In the wake of Khyra Ishaq......UPDATE NEWS

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:53 pm

flossy07 wrote:signed, emailed to friends and family.

Thank you flossy.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:04 pm

Father speaks over Khyra's death

The girl's father said he had not seen his children in more than a year
The father of a seven-year-old girl who allegedly starved to death said the "manner of her death" was "absolutely disgraceful".

An independent inquiry has been launched into the death of Khyra Ishaq, of Handsworth, Birmingham.

Angela Gordon, 33, and Junaid Abuhamza, 29, have been charged with neglect in connection with her death.

"I'm just as ignorant as everyone else as to what happened," said her father, Ishaq Abu Zaire.

"But like I say... you can put your house on it that we're going to find out, one way or another, we are going to find out exactly what happened here."

'In shock'

Birmingham social services have launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Khyra's death.

Her father said he feels let down by the authorities.

"As far as I can see because I have a dead child right now, they did nothing, they did nothing.

Two people have been charged in connection with Khyra's death

"They never lifted a finger to do anything... so they are responsible as well."

He said the last time he saw all of the children, including Khyra, the girl was happy and there was "no concern... with regards to her health".

Khyra's father had been out of the country until Saturday and he said he had not seen his children in more than a year.

An independent panel met in Birmingham on Friday to discuss Khyra, who died in hospital last Saturday.

Birmingham City Council said on Saturday: "We endeavoured to contact the close members of the family as soon as we possibly could after the death.

"Khyra was not in the care of social services at the time of her death."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 418735.stm

I have already formed an opinion of the father but will refrain from posting it until all facts are clearer.

Father of Khyra Ishaq
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:11 pm

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM ... fqGmpjvNXA

Earlier, Khyra's grandmother Isolene Clark described the heartache of losing her grandchild: "I cannot express the pain and hurt in my heart over the loss of my granddaughter and the treatment of my grandchildren. I am in shock and cannot understand how or why this has happened in a country that is supposed to protect children and see that no harm comes to them."

Where were all these loving, doting members of Khyra's extended family during the time that she and her siblings needed them most????

Perhaps she needs to look closer to home to understand how and why this has happened in a country that is supposed to protect children.
The Child Welfare System must take a portion of blame it goes without saying, as must Khyra's mother and step-father, but so also should the absent father, the extended family, the neighbours the list goes on. We must all shoulder some of the responsibilities in protecting the children of this country from evil, we all have a vital role to play.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Found this blog

Khyra Ishaq's father: Abu Zaire Ishaq has finally been found by media and he has this to say about the tragedy:

Quote (BBC News)

As far as I can see because I have a dead child right now, they (the authorities) did nothing, they did nothing.

Unquote

It is not clear where he has been for the past year and how was he finally tracked down and where. It is also not very clear if he knew about his wife's affair with the man he brought home. Meanwhile, The Sun suggested that the children were being starved as punishment for asking to see their father.

To me, Khyra's grandmother's comments to the media sound most ridiculous. She says:

My grandchildren have been let down by the very people that are supposed to protect them and ensure they are safe".

"From the moment this terrible thing happened to my grandchildren and my beautiful granddaughter had died, I feel that me and my family have not been treated fairly.

She last saw her grandchildren at Christmas and hasn't been able to see them since 'falling ill in February'. She recovered quite fast when the media came calling.

I do not understand Khyra's father and grandmother blaming the authorities for her death. I don't say the authorities are blameless, but these two individuals should blame themselves first of all. So do you have six children and then just vanish and feel let down that the government didn't take care of them?

Amazing.

Just about sums up how i feel about the absent father and extended family :(
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby mannie » Sun May 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Signed and e-mailed to friends.
mannie
First Time Offender

Postby kerry » Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Labour MP Khalid Mahmood said he had been told an educational social worker went to the children's family home once but never returned.

Mr Mahmood is now calling for a full-scale inquiry by the City Council into how social workers could have missed the children's plight.

He told GMTV today: "Obviously, something has gone wrong somewhere.

"What I am calling for is Birmingham City Council to look at this, for the chief executive to review the procedures and come back and report to us and let us know what has gone wrong."

The MP for Birmingham Perry Barr has already accused both the local education authority and social services of ' huge incompetence'.

"It just beggars belief that we have allowed this to happen. I understand there was at least one visit by an education social worker after the children left school, but not one follow-up visit," he said last night.

"I find that an amazing dereliction of duty that they have not followed it through. There is some sort of structural failure here. It should not have been allowed to get to this stage.

"We have to be far more stringent with people who don't take their children to school.

"They appear to have allowed the children to disappear out of school, not even with a follow-up call to social services. I find it amazing that six children can go like this and nobody cares."

Labour MP Mr Mahmood and the MP for Birmingham Perry Barr were amazed the children were taken out of school and not followed up. What about the hundreds of muslim girls who "disappear" out of school and circulation to be sent to Pakistan and India to be forcibly married off each year. What are these MP's doing about this on-going tragedy which is swept under the carpet and allowed to happen unchecked. Nothing, that's what!!
Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freedom of speech: - Benjamin Franklin
kerry
Been Cautioned

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:49 pm

mannie wrote:Signed and e-mailed to friends.

Thank you Mannie :)
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Yet the Sunday Mercury can reveal that social workers were first alerted to alleged problems within the family more than a year earlier.

A Birmingham City Council source said: "Social services have had some involvement with the family previously. There was a particular issue with them but it was dealt with and signed off. It was nothing drastic.

"They (the children) weren't on the 'at risk' register. But the department was aware the family had problems."

Paramedics were called to the family home shortly before 6am last Saturday.

One of the paramedics is said to have been in tears at what they found upon entering the terraced house.

Angela Gordon rented the home from a local housing association.

She lived there initially with Khyra's biological father Delroy Frances, who later converted to Islam and changed his name to Abu Zaire Ishaq.

He moved out more than three years ago.

for full article
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/sun ... y_continue

But senior council insiders insist the local authority did all it could to help the family but were frustrated by the limited powers they had to intervene.

A source said: "You've got to realise that even when an educational officer calls at a house, if no-one comes to the door, that individual has no power to gain entry.

"They haven't got a warrant to search the home and are unable to get one.

"This tragic case will no doubt highlight this fact."

bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:53 pm

THE heartbroken grandmother of little Khyra Ishaq has hit out at social services for failing to protect the seven-year-old, who she described as "a lovely little girl".

Isoline Clark told how her daughter Valerie Frances, Khyra's aunt, had tried repeatedly to see her nieces and nephews but had not been able to gain entry to their terrace house in Handsworth.

The 71-year-old, from Coombe Road, who is battling with ill health, told how the children would come to the window and look out at Valerie when she tried to call, as the rest of the family became increasingly concerned for their welfare.

Her daughter-in-law Michelle Frances said: "Never in a million years did we think that something like this could have happened."

Isoline said: "I cannot express the pain and hurt in my heart over the loss of my granddaughter. I am in shock and I cannot understand how or why this has happened in a country that is supposed to protect children and see that no harm comes to them.

"My grandchildren have been let down by the very people who are supposed to protect them and ensure they are safe. When they were taken away from school, why did no-one ask any questions? Why did social services not look in on my grandchildren?"

Isoline said she had always been present in her grandchildren's lives and would see them on a monthly basis. She last saw them in January and due to her own ill health was unable to see them in February.

She added: "From the moment this terrible thing happened to my grandchildren and my beautiful granddaughter died, I feel that myself and my family have not been treated fairly.

"No-one from the authorities had told me my granddaughter was dead and my grandchildren seriously ill - we found out through the press.

full article
http://www.birminghammail.net/2008/05/2 ... -20974955/
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Lumpy Leopard » Mon May 26, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes, I do agree to an extent that social services have some responsibility, this is why these agencies exist to intervene when people have crisis in their lives, whether the individuals concerned wish the intervention or not (usually not, I have a relative who was a social worker and she spent huge amounts of her day being told to F off and being threatend!). However, as is always the case in horrific stories like this, it is the parents/families that should bear the most responsibility. Sadly there are too many cases where social services are damned if they do take action and remove children from their homes (a decision that's never taken lightly) and of course, damned when they don't and tragedy strikes. But sadly it was the mother and her boyfriend who starved this little girl to death - not social services!

However, I would like to see more resources being made available to all of these agencies (they're usually the ones who get the most cuts with an ever increasing workload) so that maybe another child can be saved from an appalling fate at the hands of their supposedly caring family (and I say family cos it usually is!)
Freedom of Speech 03/05/07 R.I.P
Lumpy Leopard
Suspect

Postby bugalugs1970 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Lumpy Leopard wrote:Yes, I do agree to an extent that social services have some responsibility, this is why these agencies exist to intervene when people have crisis in their lives, whether the individuals concerned wish the intervention or not (usually not, I have a relative who was a social worker and she spent huge amounts of her day being told to F off and being threatend!). However, as is always the case in horrific stories like this, it is the parents/families that should bear the most responsibility. Sadly there are too many cases where social services are damned if they do take action and remove children from their homes (a decision that's never taken lightly) and of course, damned when they don't and tragedy strikes. But sadly it was the mother and her boyfriend who starved this little girl to death - not social services!

However, I would like to see more resources being made available to all of these agencies (they're usually the ones who get the most cuts with an ever increasing workload) so that maybe another child can be saved from an appalling fate at the hands of their supposedly caring family (and I say family cos it usually is!)

the difference being though that this case so far shows that the most basic of procedures has not been implemented. Regardless of the alleged cuts and ever increasing workloads the child welfare system is seriously flawed if simple procedures such as follow up calls cannot be organised. In almost all cases when a tragedy like this happens it is proven that the child welfare system has acted with complete and utter incompetence.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Lumpy Leopard » Mon May 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Sorry but have to disagree to an extent, although I haven't read the full details of the case, from what I can understand, it was an educational representative who made initial enquires about non attendance at school and as no one else eg friends, family neighbours etc reported any concerns, the case was probably not followed up due to the huge demand on these services. In my local authority if a child has 3 periods of absence in a term, the school will phone the parents, if the parents are not contactable by phone, a letter will be sent, even if the child has subsequently returned to school because that is the procedure! If the child has not returned to school and there is no contact from the parents, then action will be taken, as such a period of time can elapse before anything is noticed to be amiss and sadly as this woman's neighbours and family didn't report anything to be amiss (how long had it been since neighbours/family had seen the kids?) then it's difficult for the authorities to take action.

And I still stand by my view that incompetence by social services is not the problem here, it is the deranged woman who let one of her children starve to death! We all complain about the nanny state telling us how to live our lives, then turn round and blame the state when something truly awful happens - can't win!
Lumpy Leopard
Suspect

Postby bugalugs1970 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Lumpy Leopard wrote:Sorry but have to disagree to an extent, although I haven't read the full details of the case, from what I can understand, it was an educational representative who made initial enquires about non attendance at school and as no one else eg friends, family neighbours etc reported any concerns, the case was probably not followed up due to the huge demand on these services. In my local authority if a child has 3 periods of absence in a term, the school will phone the parents, if the parents are not contactable by phone, a letter will be sent, even if the child has subsequently returned to school because that is the procedure! If the child has not returned to school and there is no contact from the parents, then action will be taken, as such a period of time can elapse before anything is noticed to be amiss and sadly as this woman's neighbours and family didn't report anything to be amiss (how long had it been since neighbours/family had seen the kids?) then it's difficult for the authorities to take action.

And I still stand by my view that incompetence by social services is not the problem here, it is the deranged woman who let one of her children starve to death! We all complain about the nanny state telling us how to live our lives, then turn round and blame the state when something truly awful happens - can't win!

It has been reported in the press that it was an Educational Social Worker that visited the house (surely this position comes under the Child Welfare umbrella).

A previous post by me on this thread.

Where were all these loving, doting members of Khyra's extended family during the time that she and her siblings needed them most????

Perhaps she needs to look closer to home to understand how and why this has happened in a country that is supposed to protect children.
The Child Welfare System must take a portion of blame it goes without saying, as must Khyra's mother and step-father, but so also should the absent father, the extended family, the neighbours the list goes on. We must all shoulder some of the responsibilities in protecting the children of this country from evil, we all have a vital role to play.

So as you can see i agree with you in part. :)
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Lumpy Leopard » Mon May 26, 2008 3:37 pm

You're right bugalugs, I think we both have the safety and protection of all children as our main concern, if only everyone cared as much as we did the world may be a better place
Lumpy Leopard
Suspect

Postby bugalugs1970 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:43 pm

Lumpy Leopard wrote:You're right bugalugs, I think we both have the safety and protection of all children as our main concern, if only everyone cared as much as we did the world may be a better place

Absolutely, its a selfish, self-centred world we live in. Many only appear to care, few prepared to take an active role, many prepared to point the finger of blame, few prepared to accept blame. :(
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Missing Children, Child Welfare and Parent to Parent