In the wake of Khyra Ishaq......UPDATE NEWS

If you have problems then perhaps one of the members might have a suggestion or tell you how they coped with a certain situation. Also we could post links for all children that are missing and need to be found. All aspects of child welfare discussed here, new and old cases. Children that have been let down by Social Services and the authorities.

In the wake of Khyra Ishaq......UPDATE NEWS

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 pm

I have been prompted by Tylersmum to start a thread in the wake of Khyra Ishaq's death asking people to sign this petition, it is clear that Lamings report has had little impact on the Child Welfare System in the UK. Enough is enough, please put your name on this petition, be a voice and say we will not tolerate this level of imcompetence anymore. The petition aims are to bring attention to just one department under the Child Welfare System, Social Services, it is clear that the current system is failing for a multitude of reasons. The department requires a radical reform, the Governement are the ones who have the powers to do this.

Please be a voice, channel your upset, anguish and anger in a positive direction, highlight to our wonderous Government that we, the general public, are aware of the perpetual failings of Child Welfare, in particular Social Services.

I know plenty doubt petitions and with good reason too, but its better to try than to sit back and do nothing, that is part of the reason that children all across the country suffer abuse and neglect. We need to be aware and create awareness and it needs to be done NOW.

Thank you in advance

Link for Petition
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/

I have no access to personnal details on the petition, i see exactly what you see.
Last edited by bugalugs1970 on Fri May 23, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Re: In the wake of Khyra Ishaq

Postby Tutti » Thu May 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Signed and link reposted to everyone i know....
I Survived The Harold Shipman Clinic!
Tutti
You're Nicked

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:24 pm

Thanks Tutti your a gem. :)
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Meadow » Thu May 22, 2008 4:53 pm

The facts to this case are not yet known.

I thought the media, that I've heard today has been particularly coy on any real speculation.

The child was dead when she arrived in hospital. What we don't know is who called for an ambulance and why ?

What has happened to the other children?

What is the state of the mental health of the parents.

I remember a very similar case of Beverley Lewis, although technically an adult, was a vulnerable person, weighed something like 5stone, when she was found dead at home, whilst be cared for by her mother.

All may not be as it appears - I'm waiting for the investigation, so far I haven't heard the surname of the child, apart from here. And that might not be the original name, since there is some hint the famiily have converted to islam. We dont know if the couple, were her parents.

Too many things unanswered before jumping that she was starved to death.
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby OoBubblesoO » Thu May 22, 2008 5:04 pm

I'd like to sign this but am afraid in case anything comes back on me. I signed one not so long ago and my email address was given to someone on sky blogs. He then flooded my inbox with emails, perving and harrassing me. I had to change my email addy to get rid of him...

Is there anyway I can sign without giving out personal details? Don't wanna go through all that again!
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Meadow wrote:The facts to this case are not yet known.

I thought the media, that I've heard today has been particularly coy on any real speculation.

The child was dead when she arrived in hospital. What we don't know is who called for an ambulance and why ?

What has happened to the other children?

What is the state of the mental health of the parents.

I remember a very similar case of Beverley Lewis, although technically an adult, was a vulnerable person, weighed something like 5stone, when she was found dead at home, whilst be cared for by her mother.

All may not be as it appears - I'm waiting for the investigation, so far I haven't heard the surname of the child, apart from here. And that might not be the original name, since there is some hint the famiily have converted to islam. We dont know if the couple, were her parents.

Too many things unanswered before jumping that she was starved to death.

In answer to your questions

Khyra's mother called for an ambulance at around 5.00am due to the child having breathing difficulties.

Khyra's 2 sisters and 3 brothers are being treated in Manchesters Childrens City Hospital for malnutrition, 1 is critical.

All that has been said about the mother and step father is that they appeared well fed and healthy (physically).

Khyra's mother and biological father seperated about 2 years ago, the conversion to islam happened whilst both natural parents were a couple.
The biological fathers name is Abu Zaire Ishaq, who was formerly known as Delroy Francis.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:31 pm

OoBubblesoO wrote:I'd like to sign this but am afraid in case anything comes back on me. I signed one not so long ago and my email address was given to someone on sky blogs. He then flooded my inbox with emails, perving and harrassing me. I had to change my email addy to get rid of him...

Is there anyway I can sign without giving out personal details? Don't wanna go through all that again!

Bubbles i'm truely sorry to hear that, i cannot figure out how the person managed to get you email addy by your signing the petition. I have no access to such information (it is my petition) i only see the details that you do when you follow the link.

I truely am sorry for the hassle you rec'd and can understand why you are not comfortable about signing another petition. All i can do is state that i have no way of seeing any details of signatures other that what is displayed on screen when you access to sign. I can assure you that my integrity is absolute to the cause of the petition. My only aim is to get as many signatures as possible, and to bring this to the attention of the Government the voice of the general public on the perpetual failings of the child welfare system.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:01 pm

'House of hunger' children were withdrawn from school after tragic Khyra was 'bullied for wearing Muslim dress'

Social workers allegedly visited children once and never returned
MP demands full-scale inquiry into educational authority and social services
Neighbours angrily question why school did not raise the alarm

Last updated at 7:12 PM on 22nd May 2008

A seven-year-old girl who starved to death had been withdrawn from school after being bullied for wearing Islamic clothes, it emerged today.

Tragic Khyra Ishaq was taunted about her traditional hijab, which eventually led to her mother removing her and her siblings from school about three months ago.

The move apparently prompted social workers to visit the family home.

But today it emerged council staff had only been to see Khyra's mother Angela Gordon once - and had never returned.

Khyra and her five brothers and sisters was discovered by paramedics at the house in Handsworth, Birmingham, on Saturday.

The little girl, who one neighbour described as having 'the face of an angel' died in hospital shortly afterwards.

Her emaciated siblings, who are now in council care, were so hungry that they had been seen trying to steal bread left out for the birds.

Khyra had attended Grove School near her home.

Neighbour Melissa Ware, 26, a mother of two, said: "The rumours around here are that Khyra was being bullied at school which is why her mother decided to take her out.

"I heard that because she was wearing a Muslim hijab, other kids were picking on her.

"My children used to play with Khyra and her brothers and sisters. She was a lovely, bubbly little girl. She had a real sparky personality and a face of an angel.

"She had a real innocence about her, it makes what happened to her even more harrowing, if that's at all possible.

"Khyra always was quite a petite little child but she seemed healthy and full of beans. I certainly had no reason to think there was anything untoward."

Melissa added: "I always thought Angela was quite a good mother but you don't know what might have happened since I last spoke to her.

"The house they lived in was OK but it was furnished very minimally.

"I think she was on benefits and didn't work and one of the children was disabled and had to go to a special school.

"When the police were there on Tuesday, I saw them come out with a mattress wrapped up in brown paper to protect it and what looked like bedding in evidence bags.

"There is no impression that Angela was struggling with looking after her children.

"She spoke nicely to them and was really nice and patient.

"The only time her children used to play was when she was with them because they weren't really allowed outside unless she was there.

"I saw the birth dad at the house a few months ago but he left the house about two years ago and has remarried."

Today, fury at Khyra's death - and the role of Birmingham City Council's social services department continued to grow.

Labour MP Khalid Mahmood said he had been told an educational social worker went to the children's family home once but never returned.

Mr Mahmood is now calling for a full-scale inquiry by the City Council into how social workers could have missed the children's plight.

He told GMTV today: "Obviously, something has gone wrong somewhere.

"What I am calling for is Birmingham City Council to look at this, for the chief executive to review the procedures and come back and report to us and let us know what has gone wrong."

The MP for Birmingham Perry Barr has already accused both the local education authority and social services of ' huge incompetence'.

"It just beggars belief that we have allowed this to happen. I understand there was at least one visit by an education social worker after the children left school, but not one follow-up visit," he said last night.

"I find that an amazing dereliction of duty that they have not followed it through. There is some sort of structural failure here. It should not have been allowed to get to this stage.

"We have to be far more stringent with people who don't take their children to school.

"They appear to have allowed the children to disappear out of school, not even with a follow-up call to social services. I find it amazing that six children can go like this and nobody cares."

Child protection officials in Birmingham have so far refused to say whether the family were "known'" to them.

A City Council spokesman said: "We are deeply saddened by the death of this child and our sympathies go to the child's family and friends at this difficult time.

"This death is now the subject of a police inquiry and Birmingham City Council are fully supporting the investigation. We are therefore unable to make any further comment."

Paramedics were called to the house in the early hours of Saturday after they were told a girl was having breathing difficulties.

But after seeing the state of Khyra, her three brothers, aged 12, nine and eight, and two sisters, aged 11 and four, they called police. One paramedic was said to have been in tears.

Officers arrived to find the six starving children lying on mattresses in a bedroom on Saturday. All were seriously emaciated and Khrya died in hospital hours later.

Khyra's mother Angela Gordon, 33, and her live-in boyfriend Junaid Abuhamza, 29, have appeared in court accused of neglect and been remanded in custody.

Court officials said they will face a second charge of causing or allowing the death of a child when they appear again next week.

Agonised questions are now being asked about how yet another child could have been allowed to die such an appalling death.

One neighbour who lives near to the family home said he thought the family must have moved because he had not seen them for so long and demanded that Khyra's school and authorities be investigated for their failure to notice anything was wrong.

He said: "You should really be tough on them at the school and the authorities because they are supposed to be looking after our children.

"I have a daughter at the same school and I asked them, 'Why didn't you do something about the children? If they weren't going to school, the school should have known why.

"The school should have known something. They couldn't tell me, they just said there will be an investigation."

He added that Khyra had been to his house two years ago for a party and stood out because she was "such a happy girl".

"She was positive and smiling and full of life, like children should be.

Khyra's aunt Valerie Frances speaks to the press outside the house where her niece died
"I noticed her because she was such a happy girl", he said.

The case has chilling similarities to that of eight-year-old Victoria Climbie, whose death from neglect and abuse at the hands of her aunt and her boyfriend in February 2000 was meant to lead to a massive overhaul of child protection.

It brings back the same questions about how a child could have been allowed to die of hunger and whether child protection officers, teachers, doctors or neighbours were aware the family had problems.

Miss Gordon - a Muslim convert whose family came to Britain from Jamaica - had told her neighbours the children had been bullied at school, apparently because they wore Muslim clothes.

She was said to have had been making arrangements for them to be taught at home and a pile of English and Maths teaching books could be clearly seen on one of the window ledges yesterday.

Unemployed Miss Gordon, who previously used the name Angela Greenland, has lived in the racially-mixed Handsworth area for more than a decade.

She rented her terraced house from a local housing association.

She lived there initially with Khyra's father Delroy Frances, who converted to Islam and changed his name to Abu Zaire Ishaq, but he moved out more than three years ago.

His sister Valerie arrived at the house yesterday, holding a young child, and unaware of her niece's terrible death.

She said she had not seen the children since the beginning of the year, adding: "When I saw them last, they were in perfect health.

"I've been coming here all the time, knocking on the door and no-one came to the door.
"I am very unhappy about the way I have found this out. The family should have been told in a proper way. I don't think my brother knows."

The door and ground-floor windows of the house have been covered with metal shutters and forensic experts and police had earlier taken away items including carpets and clothing.

Neighbours were in shock as they watched the activity.

One, who did not wish to be named, said: "We knew they were going through some trouble about a year ago.

"Before that we used to see the children and they looked happy and normal, but after that we didn't see them.

"They seemed like normal, happy kids, but then they disappeared.

"The house wasn't very well kept. It's not the cleanest of places."

Another resident, Lilian Costello, said: "I saw Miss Gordon on Christmas Eve and I wished her a Merry Christmas but she said she didn't celebrate it, she celebrated the Muslim Eid.

"I didn't see her again for another four months.

"When I saw her at the beginning of May, I asked her if she had moved and she said she was still living in the road.

"I asked how the children were and she said they were all right."

Mrs Costello added: "She seemed very devoted to the children. She used to let them come out to play with the other children and she always stood at the front of the house watching them."

Another neighbour, Mohammed Khalil, said he used to see some of the children in their uniforms on their way to the nearby Grove School in Handsworth but that he had not seen them for many months.

A Polish woman living nearby, who gave her name as Marta, said Miss Gordon had recently accused her of giving the children bread.

She said: "The mother was very angry. I told her nobody had given her anything.

"I can only think this poor girl had gone into our back garden and taken bread from the bird table."

The conditions of the other children are not said to be life threatening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dress.html
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:38 pm

Angela Gordon, mother of Khyra
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Re: In the wake of Khyra Ishaq......UPDATE NEWS

Postby bugalugs1970 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:08 am

Social workers gave up on the girl who starved to death - without seeing her
Last updated at 10:25am on 23.05.08

Social workers failed to gain access to the home of the seven-year-old girl believed to have starved to death during their only visit - and did not try again.

As Home Secretary Jacqui Smith yesterday backed calls for a thorough investigation into how Khyra Ishaq was allowed to die, disturbing questions emerged over why social workers or child protection officers failed her.

It was claimed that Khyra was bullied at school because she was made to wear traditional Muslim dress.

An educational social worker had visited the family's terraced home in Birmingham within two weeks of Khyra's mother, Angela Gordon, removing her daughter and five other children from a local school, claiming they were being bullied.

But the visit was some eight weeks ago, and last night the family's MP, Khalid Mahmood, said the fact the social worker could not gain access to the house should have triggered further checks.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:10 am

Council meets over 'starved' child
39 minutes ago

A council has met to review the death of a seven-year-old girl who is alleged to have been starved at her home.

Birmingham City Council's Safeguarding Children Board, which considers every child death, discussed the death of Khyra Ishaq on Friday morning. The authority is expected to release a statement about the meeting in the next few hours.

Police are still awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination on Khyra's body, but sources have said the youngster is believed to have died of starvation.

She and her five siblings are reported to have been in an emaciated state when paramedics were called to their home in Leyton Road, in the Handsworth area of Birmingham.

The authority was branded "heartless" on Thursday night after it failed to agree to demands to launch an inquiry into the death.

Labour MP Khalid Mahmood accused the council of taking a "head-in-the-sand approach" and said it needed to do more to reassure the local community.

Speaking after the council confirmed Khyra's five siblings were now in foster care, Mr Mahmood said: "It's not sufficient to alleviate some of the apprehension within the community at the moment. Basically, it's a way of shutting down any further discussion on this. I find it absolutely amazing that they are taking a head-in-the-sand approach to this."

Describing the meeting as a technicality, the Birmingham Perry Barr MP added: "A huge tragedy has taken place. All of us need to get together and resolve this - it's not about them and us. Everybody has been touched by this and yet the authority seems totally heartless."

Mr Mahmood said some council officers had been instructed not to talk to him about Khyra, who died at Birmingham's Children's Hospital after paramedics were called to her home in Handsworth, Birmingham, early on Saturday.

The MP said: "Various councillors and officers have been told not to speak. I am appalled at this sort of diktat. I want an inquiry into what has happened, but also want the local authority to communicate with my constituents to let them know how we can deal with this sort of situation."

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM ... L8bYBltNVQ
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:16 am

She aimed 'to starve them all'By STAFF REPORTERS

Published: Today
A COUNCIL is expected to meet today to review how a seven-year-old was allowed to starve to death after it was claimed her mum had intended her five other kids to suffer the same fate.

Tragic Khyra Ishaq's emaciated body was found on the floor of her home – surrounded by her badly undernourished siblings.

Cops and medics found that their mum Angela Gordon appeared to have cleared the house of food and dumped the fridge in the back garden.

A source said last night: "No one knows why, but it appears the mother had a mission to starve her children. She didn't just pick on Khyra – it was just that she faded first.

"The others needed immediate hospital attention. But the mum hadn't been starving herself."

It is believed Gordon may have called 999 crews to the grim scene in Handsworth, Birmingham – where Khyra's body was like a "bag of bones". Her three brothers and two sisters, aged from four to 12, were gathered round the corpse in a "zombie-like" state.

Their Jamaican-born Muslim mother allegedly referred to her dead daughter as "It."
The source added: "She asked the ambulance people to "get it out" then turned her back and left the room."

Last night Khyra's siblings were in foster care as floral tributes were left at her home.

Gordon, 33, and partner Junaid Abuhamza, 29, have been charged with causing or allowing Khyra's death.

Yesterday it emerged that a social worker called on the family more than two months ago after the kids were all withdrawn from school amid bullying claims.

But the worker could not gain access – and failed to make a return visit.

In a statement, Birmingham City Council said its Safeguarding Children Board, which considers every child death, would convene to discuss the death of Khyra.

But the authority was last night branded "heartless" after it failed to agree to demands to launch an inquiry into the death.

Local MP Khalid Mahmood said yesterday: "That should have started alarm bells ringing." He said he was "flabbergasted by the incompetence" of Birmingham City Council.

And describing today's meeting as a technicality, the Birmingham Perry Barr MP added: "A huge tragedy has taken place. All of us need to get together and resolve this - it's not about them and us.

"Everybody has been touched by this and yet the authority seems totally heartless."

Last night neighbours claimed Abuhamza had been homeless and was invited to stay at the family house by Khyra's dad, Abu Zaire Ishaq.

They say Mr Ishaq, formerly Delroy Francis – who adopted the Muslim name after converting – left home a year ago.

Neighbour Jamil Mohammed, 23, alleged: "Delroy gave this person everything and this trampy guy ended up sleeping with his wife."

A father of a girl at Khyra's school claimed she and her siblings were unhappy at being forced to wear Muslim dress in class – and this may have been linked to bullying.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Meadow » Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 am

Yes indeed a very very tragic loss of a child.

I would lay odds that this mother has mental health issues and will be sectioned, if she hasn't already.
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby bugalugs1970 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:34 am

Meadow wrote:Yes indeed a very very tragic loss of a child.

I would lay odds that this mother has mental health issues and will be sectioned, if she hasn't already.

I very much agree, not your average actions of a sane mother is it.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby flossy07 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:32 am

signed, emailed to friends and family.
flossy07
Been Cautioned

Next

Return to Missing Children, Child Welfare and Parent to Parent