8 years since beautiful Lauren Wright died

If you have problems then perhaps one of the members might have a suggestion or tell you how they coped with a certain situation. Also we could post links for all children that are missing and need to be found. All aspects of child welfare discussed here, new and old cases. Children that have been let down by Social Services and the authorities.

8 years since beautiful Lauren Wright died

Postby bugalugs1970 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:45 pm

It has been just over 8 years since beautiful Lauren Wright died aged 6 at the hands of a cruel and evil woman, Tracy Wright, who dared to call herself Laurens stepmother. I find it hard to even put Lauren's name in the same sentance as that of the evil, twisted person that killed her.

Here is Lauren's sad story.

Lauren Wright was born on the 16th July 1993 and died on the 6th May 2000 aged 6.
Lauren died at the family home on the 6th of May 2000 after she was struck so hard in the stomach, by Wright, that her digestive system collapsed. At the time of her death she had more than 60 bruises on her emaciated body.
Medical experts told that the injuries sustained by the little girl were like those suffered by somebody who had been involved in a serious car accident.

Tracey Wright (step-mother), 31 and Craig Wright (father), 38, both of Welney, near Kings Lynn, were both convicted of wilful neglect and manslaughter following a four week trial at Norwich Crown Court.
Tracey Wright's treatment of little Lauren was described as "very near the top of the scale of inhumanity" by one of the police officers who led the investigation. Lauren Wright was brutally killed after being let down by every single agency responsible for protecting her in the months before her death.

Two witnesses, one a trained social worker, described Lauren as looking "like an advert for the NSPCC" in the weeks leading to her death, while others told the court she looked like a "ragamuffin" and a "waif".
One neighbour watched as Wright shouted obscenities at Lauren in the street, punching her in the head and walking off, leaving the little girl a crumpled heap on the ground and only to get up on feet with silent tears and run after her step-mother.
Another neighbour reported that Lauren was regulary made to stand inches away from a roaring fire naked for soiling her bed.
Lauren's step brother recalled that Wright use to regulary feed Lauren pepper sandwiches laced with insects from the garden. He also recalled the cruel treatment that Lauren had to endure during her 2 years under the care of Wright.
The paternal grandmother of Lauren stated that she was once a lively, chubby, happy and chatty little girl who's physical and mental health declined rapidly during her time under the care of Wright.

Tracey Wright was convicted of killing her six-year-old stepdaughter and was sentenced to 15 years in jail. Tracey Wright would be eligible for parole after saving half of the 15 year term.

Jurors heard that Lauren had spent much of her life under the umbrella of social workers.
Lauren had left the care of her natural mother Jennifer Bennett at the age of three following allegations of neglect. She had begun living with her father and Tracey Wright about two years before her death. In the months before her death her bruises and declining physical condition was noted by doctors, teachers and social workers. Tragically a urgent visit had been arranged to see Lauren scheduled for the 8th of May, 2 days to late.
Social services, plus education and health authority officials admitted that serious mistakes were made in the way Lauren was cared for. One social services manager (David Wright) resigned as a result of her death.

Lauren was laid to rest in a cemetary nr South Mimms, her grave is marked by a small, simple wooden cross, next to the grave lays a cuddly soft piglet toy.

Wright, a one time dinner lady at the school Lauren attended, could now be free to walk the streets having served half the imposed 15 year prison sentence.

Please all remember Lauren a beautiful yet tragically uncared for child.
Please sign this petition (see link) calling for the reform of Social Services and the current legislation surrounding child welfare within Social Services. I know many people believe petitions have little impact but lets be a voice and show we care to those who do have it within their powers to enforce a change. Be a voice for Lauren today please.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/

Last edited by bugalugs1970 on Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Re: 8 years since beautiful Lauren Wright died

Postby bugalugs1970 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:32 pm

An old article

Lauren, 6, killed as negligent officials failed herStepmother and father convicted of manslaughter
Paul Kelso guardian.co.uk, Tuesday October 2 2001 Article historyAbout this articleClose This article was first published on guardian.co.uk on Tuesday October 02 2001. It was last updated at 10:21 on October 02 2001.A woman who systematically beat, starved and abused her six-year-old stepdaughter until she died from multiple injuries was yesterday convicted of manslaughter and wilful neglect.

Tracey Wright, 31, was found guilty of causing the death of Lauren Wright at Norwich crown court after a four-week trial which revealed 18 months of physical and psychological abuse.

Lauren's father, Craig Wright, 38, was also convicted of manslaughter, though there was no evidence that he beat his daughter.

They were remanded in custody and will be sentenced in four weeks.

Lauren was found dead in an upstairs room at the family home in Welney, Norfolk, on May 6 last year. Her digestive system had collapsed fatally after a punch or kick to the stomach from Tracey Wright. Her emaciated frame weighed just two stones and was covered with more than 60 bruises. A doctor who gave evidence said her injuries were similar to those of a car crash victim.

Norfolk social services department last night conceded that its handling of the case had been negligent.

Lauren was seen on three occasions by social workers in the last 12 weeks of her life, as well as by a policeman and two doctors, and her maltreatment was obvious to numerous neighbours who gave evidence. But despite repeated warnings, Lauren was not removed from the family home.

David Wright, director of social services, said: "Had we followed the correct procedures which were already in place, Lauren would be alive today."

An internal investigation into the case published yesterday concluded that the response to Lauren's plight was poorly coordinated and lacked urgency.

The NSPCC said the case was one of the most disturbing it had come across, and the local MP Gillian Shephard called for a public inquiry. "It is worse than the Victoria Climbi├® case in my opinion because it all took place in full view of those people who should have been caring for Lauren Wright," she said.

Lauren Wright was born in Potters Bar in Hertfordshire in 1993, the product of a short affair between Wright and Jennifer Bennett. Wright lived with his mother in the village of Three Holes, Norfolk, and had minimal contact with his daughter in her first three years, during which Lauren had her first experience of parental neglect.

In 1997 Jennifer Bennett took Lauren on holiday to Turkey and left her there. Scratching the child's name from her passport, Ms Bennett returned to the UK without her daughter, leaving the British consulate to organise the return of the child.

On her return, Lauren was placed on the child protection register in Hertfordshire, and in May 1997 Wright took custody of his daughter. Nine months later, deeply concerned about the treatment she might receive if returned to her natural mother, Lauren's grandmother was granted a residency order and became Lauren's legal guardian.

In January 1999 the Wrights moved to Welney, a Fenland village of 300 people on the Norfolk-Cambridgeshire border. Lauren attended the small local school, William Marshall primary, while her father divided his time between work, the river bank, the pub and his new neighbour, Tracey Scarff, a dominant and persuasive woman with a large extended family living locally. She was the playground assistant at Lauren's school.

Within six months Wright and Scarff married, and Wright and Lauren moved in with Scarff and her nine-year-old son and six-year-old daughter.

A cycle of abuse began that was to end with Lauren's death. Apparently driven by resentment and antipathy, Tracey Wright openly discriminated against the child, teasing and bullying her while lavishing praise on her own children. Chief Superintendent Martin Wright of Norfolk police described her treatment of the child as "vile and sadistic".

Craig Wright was never home long enough to notice. "The word I would use for him is abdicated," said Chief Superintendent Wright.

A chubby child, Lauren gradually became thin and pale, her hair thinning and greasy, and she was dressed in dirty hand-me-downs. She was regularly bruised on the face and legs, injuries that Tracey Wright explained to neighbours by saying that Lauren had walked into a door, or been knocked over by the family's alsatian dog.

There was evidence, too, of psychological abuse. One witness described seeing Lauren forced to stand in front of a lit gas fire as a punishment for wetting the bed. Tracey Wright's son described seeing his mother emptying a pepper pot onto a cheese sandwich she had made for Lauren, and putting a worm in her soup. Gradually Lauren became withdrawn, shy and nervy.

Two neighbours became so concerned they anonymously called Norfolk social services, who initially acted promptly. Tracey Wright was interviewed by two social workers and Lauren was seen by a doctor, who did not think the injuries were accidental. An appointment with a paediatrician was made for the following day, March 15 last year.

The paediatrician decided after two consultations that the injuries were consistent with Tracey Wright's explanations, and Lauren returned home to face yet more abuse.

At this time, amid concerns that the stepmother-daughter relationship was not all it should be, an appointment was made for Lauren and Tracey Wright to see a family support worker on May 8. It turned out to be a fatal misreading of the situation. The senior social worker responsible for the misjudgment has since resigned and is said by one colleague to be "a suicide case".

In late April, following an allegation that Lauren had been sexually assaulted by her natural mother with whom she still had some contact, two social workers from Hertfordshire visited Lauren and became concerned. (Jennifer Bennett was not charged with any offence.) The Hertfordshire team contacted Norfolk social services but again no action was taken, even after they put their concerns in writing.

On May 2, Lauren failed to return to school for the start of term. Tracey Wright said she had gastroenteritis. On Friday May 5, Norfolk social services agreed that the appointment on the following Monday should go ahead. Meanwhile, Lauren was lying at home, malnourished, bruised and a day away from death.

Tracey Wright's son, speaking by video to the court, described what could have been the fatal blows. "The day Lauren died, I remember mum punching her in the belly two times. I was going to go to the toilet, and I see mummy punch her in the belly two times."

More than a year on from her death, Welney is still coming to terms with a tragedy. Only a handful of villagers are willing to discuss the Wrights, and there is a sense of denial in the tiny community where the attentions of the church, the school, social services and the people were not sufficient to stop a child being killed.

"This whole village has got its head in the sand," said one inhabitant, who in common with many other villagers did not wish to be named. "Nobody wants to talk about what went on here, but they must have been blind in Chestnut Avenue if they did not see what was happening to that child. She was wandering round like a rag doll but they chose to say nothing"
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Adonia » Fri May 09, 2008 11:41 pm

praying for lauren tonight godbless you little angel all my love Adonia xxx :D

Gods Lent Child

Ill lend you for a little while,
A child of mine, God said
For you to love the while she lives,
And mourn for when shes dead.
It may be six or seven days
Or forty two or three,
But will you, till I call her back,
Take care of her for me?

She bring charms to gladden you
And (should her stay be brief)
You'll have her memories
As solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay
Since all from earth return
But there are lessons taught below
I want this child to learn.

I've looked this whole world over
In my search for teachers true,
And from the things that crowd lifes lanes
I have chosen you.
Now will you give her all your love
Nor think the labour vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take
This lent child back again?
author unknown

I will do that I heard them say,
Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
For all the joys this child will bring
The risk of grief well run.
We will shelter her with tenderness
Well love her while we may
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay.

But should the angels call for her
Much sooner than we planned
Well brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand.

Author Unknown

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen
AMEN.

God Bless You All xxx :D

....justice for madeleine....
Adonia
You're Nicked

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 10, 2008 2:17 pm

14 reads this thread has rec'd.......is that all.......do people not care about what happened to little Lauren??? I'm angry, not because i want people to sign the petition...or contribute posts, but because i thought this was a website where people cared about children. Children that have been cruelly neglected by their parents or those that where supposed to love them and cherish them. I feel extremely sad that only 14 people have actually taken the time to read this thread, 14 people remembering little Lauren and the torment she suffered during her short and extremely sad, lonely life.

Lauren was and is as important as any other child, she had her life ahead of her, she was a gift from heaven. A little girl who wanted to be loved and who would have given so much joy and happiness in return.

Lauren would have been 14 this year, a young lady....but hey want does anyone on here care i guess its far more important to read about whether KM has had a nose job.

A very upset, tearful and disappointed bugalugs.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Alpine Aster » Sat May 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Such a terrible sad waste of life and in her short life Lauren must have suffered terribly.
The Woman that done this should never be allowed to be freed.
I did sign the petition.

Katey
Those who play the game do not see as clearly as those who watch
Alpine Aster
Local Lag

Postby anti-PhiloPastry » Sat May 10, 2008 2:36 pm

That poor little girl never had a moment of happiness in her life. Her mother dumped her in another country. I feel so angry at all those doctors, social workers and even teachers they should have taken her out of that house, never mind making an appointment to see her a day after she died.

I have heard so many times from people that you should be vetted to be able to have children, I never agreed with that until now.

Where was the extended family in all of this? Surely someone must have known and seen Lauren in her last few weeks.

Sometimes I fear that the human race is devolving into nothing more than a pack of rabid beasts.
anti-PhiloPastry
Been Cautioned

Postby perrito » Sat May 10, 2008 3:10 pm

I care very much Bugalugs, one reason why I feel so very very angry over the Mccann case. There are so many many children in this world who go through terrible suffering and abuse and I have seen much of this with my own eyes. I feel so very angry that other children, suffering families etc have been well and truly pushed into the background and out of sight, no big campaigns for them, no million pound (funds), no millionaires stepping in to fete them, nothing. Absolutely everything is about saving the very sorry backsides of Kate and Gerry Mccann, a couple who left their tiny children alone on more than one night so that they could go out wining and dining. Yet for some reason, and damned if I know why, this couple are treated as heros, they are protected and worshipped..............why?

This couple and their PR machine have been allowed to slander another country and it's police, they have been virtually worshipped by the British press and media and any other news since the time of Madeleine's ''disappearance'' regarding children has immediately been linked with the Mccann case and put to good use by the Mccann PR machine.

Yes I do feel very sad and very angry that anyone can neglect or harm children but I feel even angrier that many other cases are being pushed out of sight and out of view simply to suit the Mccann case. Again, in my opinion, all children are important, one is no more special than another and all children have the right to be protected and cared for.

Yes indeed little Madeleine deserves justice for whatever tragedy befell her and in the quest for that justice her parents should not be allowed to be criticising, thwarting and slandering the police force of the country where the tragedy happened.

In my own personal opinion they should never have been allowed to leave the country in the first place and they certainly should not be allowed to be carrying on this ridiculous charade of a PR campaign and public money begging. If nothing else the Mccanns are guilty of neglecting their children and they should pay the penalty for that the same as anyone else.

It appears to me that the Mccanns are being openly allowed to mock the justice systems of both Portugal and UK and actually seeming to be praised for their actions.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby smudge » Sat May 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Poor baby, she must have suffered so much in her short life :(
smudge
New In Town

Postby flossy07 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 pm

As much as we all want justice for madeleine we really must remember all the other missing children all over the world, how can anyone hurt a poor defenseless little human being, thay are monsters,
God bless and keep all missing children close to his heart..
flossy07
Been Cautioned

Postby MoeSzyslak » Mon May 12, 2008 12:00 am

I can't believe how many people failed this child. That story actually brought tears to my eyes. I am so sad right now. And, these abuse cases, and the failure of the authorities to protect these vulnerable children, is repeated time and time again.
Where the h**l was the father in all this? And, the step-brother who told what Lauren went through. Poor kid, having to live through and witness that horror.
I hope Lauren is at peace now.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby MoeSzyslak » Mon May 12, 2008 12:07 am

bugalugs1970 wrote:14 reads this thread has rec'd.......is that all.......do people not care about what happened to little Lauren??? I'm angry, not because i want people to sign the petition...or contribute posts, but because i thought this was a website where people cared about children. Children that have been cruelly neglected by their parents or those that where supposed to love them and cherish them. I feel extremely sad that only 14 people have actually taken the time to read this thread, 14 people remembering little Lauren and the torment she suffered during her short and extremely sad, lonely life.

Lauren was and is as important as any other child, she had her life ahead of her, she was a gift from heaven. A little girl who wanted to be loved and who would have given so much joy and happiness in return.

Lauren would have been 14 this year, a young lady....but hey want does anyone on here care i guess its far more important to read about whether KM has had a nose job.

Come on bugalugs, give us a break. You know we care about the welfare of kids. We do the best we can on this site to stay on top of the threads, but sometimes one or two will slip by us. And for the record, you will find, speaking for myself, that I didn't post on that KM nose job thread, because I think it's a pointless thread.
Please don't insult us; that's uncalled for.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby bugalugs1970 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 pm

MoeSzyslak wrote:
bugalugs1970 wrote:14 reads this thread has rec'd.......is that all.......do people not care about what happened to little Lauren??? I'm angry, not because i want people to sign the petition...or contribute posts, but because i thought this was a website where people cared about children. Children that have been cruelly neglected by their parents or those that where supposed to love them and cherish them. I feel extremely sad that only 14 people have actually taken the time to read this thread, 14 people remembering little Lauren and the torment she suffered during her short and extremely sad, lonely life.

Come on bugalugs, give us a break. You know we care about the welfare of kids. We do the best we can on this site to stay on top of the threads, but sometimes one or two will slip by us. And for the record, you will find, speaking for myself, that I didn't post on that KM nose job thread, because I think it's a pointless thread.
Please don't insult us; that's uncalled for.

I have not insulted anyone, i wrote what i felt in my heart. Lauren is a child that never experienced happiness in her 6 years of life. My post was not directed at any individual, there are hundreds of posters and readers on this forum.

Thank you for taking a few minutes to read in brief about Lauren's sad life, it is important that children like Lauren are not forgotten.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Torti » Tue May 13, 2008 6:05 pm

bugalugs, I do care about children. There are just so many cases out there similar to this one, and I cannot follow them all. As an individual, there isn't much I can do except report possible abuse to the proper authorities. And here in the US, as in this case, sometimes the kids slip through that weak safety net of social services. Action is not taken quickly enough, families don't want to report one of their own so they keep their mouths shut, and sometimes there is disagreement between doctors about the causes of injuries.

I've spent 25+ years as an adult volunteer with Girl Scouts. If my time has given one child a respite from a bad situation it has been worth it. My stand is that our children--the world's children, not just our own--are the future. We cannot afford to throw that future away.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby bugalugs1970 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:18 pm

Torti wrote:bugalugs, I do care about children. There are just so many cases out there similar to this one, and I cannot follow them all. As an individual, there isn't much I can do except report possible abuse to the proper authorities. And here in the US, as in this case, sometimes the kids slip through that weak safety net of social services. Action is not taken quickly enough, families don't want to report one of their own so they keep their mouths shut, and sometimes there is disagreement between doctors about the causes of injuries.

I've spent 25+ years as an adult volunteer with Girl Scouts. If my time has given one child a respite from a bad situation it has been worth it. My stand is that our children--the world's children, not just our own--are the future. We cannot afford to throw that future away.

Sadly there are many people that turn a blind eye to the abuse of children, for various reasons one of the main ones that of not wanting to get involved or thinking that someone else will report it. Reporting abuse is very important if you strongly suspect a child is being abused and/or neglected.

I admire your thoughts and beliefs, you are so right when you say that if your time within the girl scouts (guides in uk) has allowed just one child respite it will have been worth it....it will have, and i'm sure your time has allowed more girls respite than you could ever imagine. Well done, you have my admiration and thank you for taking the time to read about Lauren's sad story, just one story of many thousands equally as sad and tragic.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby tothelighthouse » Fri May 16, 2008 10:46 am

Bugalugs,
I am sure many people will read your post and feel so awfully ashamed and sad for humanity that we can hardly comment. I swing between stomach churning misery when I remember these things and terrible murderous Scorpio rage against the people who can vent their terrible spite and self-hatred on such a defenceless little soul. Feel capable of murder myself, and wonder about in- prison justice which might be meted out.
The whole thing is awful, people around MUST have seen what was going on, teachers? (the only bruises I had on my legs at age 10 were from a pinchy teacher!!)
I look at photos of my little girl at that same age,so loved (late arrival, ma at 41) and protected, which is the very least you should do for kids.
Rest in peace little Angel Lauren.
Thanks for reminding us, Bugalugs
Sow the wind, ...and reap the whirlwind.....
tothelighthouse
New In Town

Next

Return to Missing Children, Child Welfare and Parent to Parent