Please say a prayer for Kerstin Fritzl tonight....

If you have problems then perhaps one of the members might have a suggestion or tell you how they coped with a certain situation. Also we could post links for all children that are missing and need to be found. All aspects of child welfare discussed here, new and old cases. Children that have been let down by Social Services and the authorities.

Re: Please say a prayer for Kerstin Fritzl tonight....

Postby helena » Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 am

anti-PhiloPastry - thanks for that
Yes you are right about it being difficult to watch,i just hope that it'll be a program more about -how on earth did he get away with it all that time,without anybody wondering about the extra rubbish,or indeed what he was building all this time without raising suspicions,etc.Really that's what i like to watch,certainly no details,it's just to horrific to take in.
As to his wife???If my daughter went missing and my husband is building something for years,and i'm not allowed to see what it was ,I'd go to the police!!!!!
helena
Been Cautioned

Postby anti-PhiloPastry » Wed May 21, 2008 8:20 am

I am sure it is not only I who think it would be nearly impossible not to have some questions as to what was going on in my cellar.

So three children are supposedly left on their doorstep, with some kind of identification stating they are the run-away daughter's children, three times???? Surely that alone would prompt you to investigate where your daughter could be?

The second family were fed, so where did the food come from. Surely if bread and milk and other basics were being taken downstairs it would have been noticed. What about Kerstin and her mother's period? They would have to be sneaked in with the shopping.

I just find it very hard to believe that Mrs Fritzl senior had no suspicions at all about her husband.

Who and what decided which children would be brought upstairs?

Ok. Guess I will have to watch it to try gain some answers.
anti-PhiloPastry
Been Cautioned

Postby ChaosX » Wed May 21, 2008 8:26 am

That is so sad...
ChaosX
Been Cautioned

Postby swati » Wed May 21, 2008 8:45 am

xxdelly wrote:I'm not a religious person, although I have lit a candle for Madeleine tonight.

I've just been reading the sad news that Kerstin Fritzl, the young girl from Austria is hours from death due to multiple organ failure.

If anyone deserves to live - it's this young woman who, in the most vile evil manner has had her youth and life cruelly taken from her.

Sometimes I think there's no justice in this world, no justice at all.

What kind of world are we living in when animals can commit these terrible acts.

I feel so, so very sad tonight.

So do I
Any link to the sad news?
Thank you
swati
New In Town

Postby whitehound » Wed May 21, 2008 9:12 am

According to reports the mother did press the police to try and find her daughter after the children were left with them.

The thing is, the guy had a perfect cover story. He told everybody he was building a nuclear bunker - so if people saw he was doing building work down in the basement, well, he was extending his bunker. Nothing too odd about that. He let rooms on site, which he did up himself, so if he was seen carrying things like washing machines into the house, well, they were for a tenant, surely? If he was seen carrying them into the basement he could say he was storing them there, until he could fit them for a tenant later.

He was, apparently genuinely, working on blueprints, which meant he had to protect his copyright, so there would be nothing all that odd about forbidding other people to go into the cellar - and if anybody *did* go, he'd made sure the door to the dungeon was very well hidden, beyond a whole series of rooms.

As for food, I've seen reports saying he fed the family only on frozen food, and he bought it at scattered and distant locations so no one shopkeeper would notice how much he was buying. He probably waited until his wife was out before taking food down there in any quantity. He could certainly take a certain amount of food into the cellar (and a fridge and even a cooker) without attracting suspicion: he was staying down there all night supposedly "working on his blueprints" so it would seem quite natural that he would want to eat while he was down there. And the prisoners wouldn't have eaten very much - not nearly as much as you would normally expect four extra people to eat - because lack of space and oxygen meant they were taking no exercise.

You would think that his wife would notice something odd was happening - but the real truth was so bizarre it may well never have occurred to her, especially as there was some corroborative evidence of the cult story, in the form of letters which Elizabeth wrote on her father's orders. If she realised her husband was up to something, the wife probably thought he was entertaining a mistress (in the usual sense) down there, or running an illegal gambling den or something.

The person who had the chance to really realise that there was something odd going on was the tenant who noticed that his electricity meter was being tapped to run something else. But even there - the natural thing would be to think that Fritzl was using his tenants to pay part of his own house's electricity bill, not that he had a whole other house under the ground. The tenant should really have reported it to the police - but from what I hear about Austria (from somebody I used to know a few years ago who spent about ten months of every year there) the police probably wouldn't have investigated a "respectable businessman" very hard anyway.

I'm not sure whether I want to watch the programme, either. It's supposed to be mainly about how Fritzl managed to hide what he was doing, which I suppose will be of interest, but it will be distressing and I don't like to encourage the media feeding-frenzy which is keeping the family locked up indoors to escape from the press, when they need a chance to sit outside in the sun.
whitehound
New In Town

Postby paulosgirl » Wed May 21, 2008 9:14 am

whitehound wrote:According to reports the mother did press the police to try and find her daughter after the children were left with them.

The thing is, the guy had a perfect cover story. He told everybody he was building a nuclear bunker - so if people saw he was doing building work down in the basement, well, he was extending his bunker. Nothing too odd about that. He let rooms on site, which he did up himself, so if he was seen carrying things like washing machines into the house, well, they were for a tenant, surely? If he was seen carrying them into the basement he could say he was storing them there, until he could fit them for a tenant later.

He was, apparently genuinely, working on blueprints, which meant he had to protect his copyright, so there would be nothing all that odd about forbidding other people to go into the cellar - and if anybody *did* go, he'd made sure the door to the dungeon was very well hidden, beyond a whole series of rooms.

As for food, I've seen reports saying he fed the family only on frozen food, and he bought it at scattered and distant locations so no one shopkeeper would notice how much he was buying. He probably waited until his wife was out before taking food down there in any quantity. He could certainly take a certain amount of food into the cellar (and a fridge and even a cooker) without attracting suspicion: he was staying down there all night supposedly "working on his blueprints" so it would seem quite natural that he would want to eat while he was down there. And the prisoners wouldn't have eaten very much - not nearly as much as you would normally expect four extra people to eat - because lack of space and oxygen meant they were taking no exercise.

You would think that his wife would notice something odd was happening - but the real truth was so bizarre it may well never have occurred to her, especially as there was some corroborative evidence of the cult story, in the form of letters which Elizabeth wrote on her father's orders. If she realised her husband was up to something, the wife probably thought he was entertaining a mistress (in the usual sense) down there, or running an illegal gambling den or something.
The person who had the chance to really realise that there was something odd going on was the tenant who noticed that his electricity meter was being tapped to run something else. But even there - the natural thing would be to think that Fritzl was using his tenants to pay part of his own house's electricity bill, not that he had a whole other house under the ground. The tenant should really have reported it to the police - but from what I hear about Austria (from somebody I used to know a few years ago who spent about ten months of every year there) the police probably wouldn't have investigated a "respectable businessman" very hard anyway.

I'm not sure whether I want to watch the programme, either. It's supposed to be mainly about how Fritzl managed to hide what he was doing, which I suppose will be of interest, but it will be distressing and I don't like to encourage the media feeding-frenzy which is keeping the family locked up indoors to escape from the press, when they need a chance to sit outside in the sun.

Babies WERE born down there,right?IIRC
You think she didn't know what was going on?
paulosgirl
On Parole

Postby whitehound » Wed May 21, 2008 9:35 am

paulosgirl wrote:Babies WERE born down there,right?IIRC
You think she didn't know what was going on?

Why would she? No special provision was made for the births - just a baby-book and some towels. And a lot of the time, the couple weren't even living together IIRC. He had some sort of bed-and-breakfast business in another house in another town, and a lot of the time the wife lived at the other business.
whitehound
New In Town

Postby Marianna » Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 am

I just want to say what a kindly thread this is. It's obvious that most of the people here are seekers after truth and justice because of the interest in the Madeleine case. But I have read such terrible things on other forums or "Have Your Say" threads, really racist things about Austria and Austrians as a result of this case, and also Natascha Kampusch's case.

I am British but came here to Austria with my son after my divorce to work. Austria was so good to us and still is being good to me. If you look around in the street, many faces are faces you'd see in Britain. The Austrians had a terrible time under the Nazis and perhaps some of their characteristics still reflect that, but did the world's media start publishing racist stories about England when Fred West was outed? If they did. I didn't see them.

What is wrong with our media and some of our people that we need to detest "foreigners" so much. Not just occasional xenophobic remarks, but full-on hatred? What switch gets hit and why?
Marianna
Suspect

Postby lj » Wed May 21, 2008 11:41 am

I am happy to hear Kerstin is doing a bit better.
The program will be aired in England I presume??
*Soon, very soon the world will know the "Truth about the Lie" and "we will gain truth and justice for a little girl who has no voice", dead on the evening of May 3rd at apartment 5A, Ocean Club, Praia da Luz, Algarve, Portugal"*
lj
Local Lag

Postby whitehound » Wed May 21, 2008 11:59 am

lj wrote:I am happy to hear Kerstin is doing a bit better.
The program will be aired in England I presume??

In Britain, not just England - I don't think Channel 4 does regional variations.
whitehound
New In Town

Postby whitehound » Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 pm

Latest reports say that the hospital staff are now reducing Kerstin's level of sedation and moving towards bringing her round (which suggests that her breathing is a lot better now), but it will be done by gradual stages and they're not sure how long it will take.

W. re. a previous post, I'm not sure whether I think the story is sad or not. It's terrible that this family were imprisoned like that, but that was already happening, and has been happening since the mid 80s: our suddenly finding out about it hasn't made it any sadder. And the fact that they've all been saved (apart from the one sickly baby who died), that they are free, that Kerstin is doing OK and the others are all doing very well indeed - that's joyful news.
whitehound
New In Town

Previous

Return to Missing Children, Child Welfare and Parent to Parent