I am starting to worry about my dog

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

I am starting to worry about my dog

Postby okwithmydecay » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:08 pm

My dog Alfie is 13yrs old. He seems fit and well but I have noticed he is losing a lot of weight but is eating well. Can't give him snacks anymore cos he will be sick. But worst he is weeing 2 or 3 times a night, me and my partner has not had a good nights sleep for the last 4 weeks (we take turns getting up in the night to let him out so he does not pee in the house). I am really scared he is on his lasts legs now and scared also to take him to the vets in case they say "put him down". Came to a head when my friend came and said "what is wrong with Alfie" I really can't stand taking him to the vets cos

A he is in good spirts.
B it will brack my heart if I am the one to take him and he is put to sleep
C he hates any other dog and is :oops: to take him to the vets

God I know the answer but it is not easy. Even as I am writing this tread I am close to tears, in fact writing this thread is the first time I have came to teams with my dog is old and is soon going to die. I feel it comes to something when I have to break down in front off people I don't know. Sorry everyone, I can't talk about this to people I know in my real life, I want to be the strong one.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Re: I am starting to worry about my dog

Postby speedy1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:31 pm

i have a shitz tsu that is also 13 years old, and i know just how you feel,he eats well and is generally quite perky but have found out a few months ago he has an enlarged heart, found this out as he kept coughing,his belly seemed swollen i took him to the vets and like you expected the worse,but they gave him 3 lots of medication and he's finenow,only one of the tablets is a water tablet,so i like you are having to deal with accidents,it costs me 76 pound a month for his medication, but i can't bear to think of having him put down,just the thought breaks my heart, i could never be the one to take him to have that done,yet again i would want to be with him, take him to the vets it may be something quite easily cured,i hope you find comfort in knowing someone else is going through and feeling exactly the same as you xx
speedy1
New In Town

Postby okwithmydecay » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:46 pm

speedy1 wrote:i have a shitz tsu that is also 13 years old, and i know just how you feel,he eats well and is generally quite perky but have found out a few months ago he has an enlarged heart, found this out as he kept coughing,his belly seemed swollen i took him to the vets and like you expected the worse,but they gave him 3 lots of medication and he's finenow,only one of the tablets is a water tablet,so i like you are having to deal with accidents,it costs me 76 pound a month for his medication, but i can't bear to think of having him put down,just the thought breaks my heart, i could never be the one to take him to have that done,yet again i would want to be with him, take him to the vets it may be something quite easily cured,i hope you find comfort in knowing someone else is going through and feeling exactly the same as you xx

I know he has to go to the vets, and fingers crossed it can be sorted. And thankyou for your kind words. God I did not even bother with Alfie much cos I was a big cat person, but this stage of his life I know now what a big hole he will make in our lifes when he is gone.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby speedy1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:59 pm

i'm sure you have provided him with a good life, i have another shitz tsu that is 11 and i know when the older one has gone he won't be far after,they are never apart, i would love another when they are gone but cannot go through the loss that i know i will feel when the time comes,let me know how you get on with alfie
speedy1
New In Town

Postby cushty » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:07 pm

is Alfie also drinking a lot? if yes, could be late-onset diabetes, which can be treated

and no good vet will ever suggest putting an animal to sleep if he is still enjoying life, so I don't think you need to worry about that

I have loved, and lost, many cats in my life, but never consider the losing of them cancels out the pleasure of loving them
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby okwithmydecay » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:38 pm

cushty wrote:is Alfie also drinking a lot? if yes, could be late-onset diabetes, which can be treated

and no good vet will ever suggest putting an animal to sleep if he is still enjoying life, so I don't think you need to worry about that

I have loved, and lost, many cats in my life, but never consider the losing of them cancels out the pleasure of loving them

Yes he has been drinking a lot and was thinking diabetes and fingers crossed it is. It is so hard when your pets are at this stage in there lifes. I lost my cat Ben last year though old age and the year before my cat Oscar who was only 1yr old, I think he was poisoned, He died in my arms. That was very hard to deal with, we put him in the garden while my kids were still in bed.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby BigTone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm

okwithmydecay wrote:My dog Alfie is 13yrs old. He seems fit and well but I have noticed he is losing a lot of weight but is eating well. Can't give him snacks anymore cos he will be sick. But worst he is weeing 2 or 3 times a night, me and my partner has not had a good nights sleep for the last 4 weeks (we take turns getting up in the night to let him out so he does not pee in the house). I am really scared he is on his lasts legs now and scared also to take him to the vets in case they say "put him down". Came to a head when my friend came and said "what is wrong with Alfie" I really can't stand taking him to the vets cos

A he is in good spirts.
B it will brack my heart if I am the one to take him and he is put to sleep
C he hates any other dog and is :oops: to take him to the vets

God I know the answer but it is not easy. Even as I am writing this tread I am close to tears, in fact writing this thread is the first time I have came to teams with my dog is old and is soon going to die. I feel it comes to something when I have to break down in front off people I don't know. Sorry everyone, I can't talk about this to people I know in my real life, I want to be the strong one.

Its sounds exactly like our cat Del see recent thread (except for peeing, but cats can go out when they want). The vet said he had liver failure, and unfortunately he had to go. I hope your dog is ok, but u really have to go to vet before they start feeling any pain. Our thoughts are with you, and hoping for the best :(

edited to add -

We (thought) did not bother with Del so much cos we got the dog, and dogs are so much more demanding. But the hole Del has made is so much more than we ever imagined. I dread losing the dog when that day comes.
"...they felt that their system of child checking that they were operating with their friends was better than the baby listening service that was on offer at the resort..." - Clarence Mitchell

Leave No Stomach Unturned.......
BigTone
Suspect

Postby perrito » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Do take your dog to the vet okwithmydecay, the Vet will not suggest putting him to sleep whilst he has a good quality of life and it is very possible that he can be given medication to help. Perhaps your vet will make a house call if your dog gets too distressed going to the Vet.

Both my last two little dogs, Pomeranians had enlarged hearts in their later years but medication kept them reasonably fit and happy for a few years, they were very old when I lost them and had travelled more than many humans.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby okwithmydecay » Thu May 01, 2008 4:42 pm

I have left it cos he was in no pain, but now he has not been for a poo for a week. So tomorrow he is going to the vet and I have said I want him put down. He is a old man who I will not let suffer which he is going to do very soon. He is losing weight and being sick a lot. I think it is for the best.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby MoeSzyslak » Thu May 01, 2008 4:43 pm

He could have a kidney or bladder infection. If it's that it is easily corrected. Sorry to hear about your pooch.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby cushty » Thu May 01, 2008 4:46 pm

okwithmydecay wrote:I have left it cos he was in no pain, but now he has not been for a poo for a week. So tomorrow he is going to the vet and I have said I want him put down. He is a old man who I will not let suffer which he is going to do very soon. He is losing weight and being sick a lot. I think it is for the best.

so sad for you - it does sound very much like an internal tumour, so you are definitely doing the right thing - no one knows him better than you

it's our final responsibility to our animals, and you will not regret it, but you will be devasted for a while

a big hug for you and Alfie
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby okwithmydecay » Thu May 01, 2008 5:14 pm

cushty wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:I have left it cos he was in no pain, but now he has not been for a poo for a week. So tomorrow he is going to the vet and I have said I want him put down. He is a old man who I will not let suffer which he is going to do very soon. He is losing weight and being sick a lot. I think it is for the best.

so sad for you - it does sound very much like an internal tumour, so you are definitely doing the right thing - no one knows him better than you

it's our final responsibility to our animals, and you will not regret it, but you will be devasted for a while

a big hug for you and Alfie

Thanks, just told my daughter (which was very hard) he is a old man and has had a very good life. That was very hard, son is at his nans so hoping she tells him. We are spoiling him tonight loads. I decided at 13 I am not arsing about with tests and such, just to keep him alive a bit longer. I feel that this is for the best while he is still able to be a bit like his old self and happy. You know we get pets and this is something we have to for see, but still very hard. I am hitting the rum tonight but a big part of me knows I am doing the right thing. At the end off the day pets make your life so much better (I think anyway).
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby okwithmydecay » Thu May 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I took one last pic on my phone, and it is sooooooooo sweet cos he looks very puppy like :D
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby cushty » Thu May 01, 2008 5:21 pm

animals don't understand death - only pain

you sound as if you are being totally unselfish in putting Alfie's needs first, which is how it should be - if only someone would organize a good death for us when our time comes :(

get yourself a lovely frame for that photo, and put it up on the wall
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby daftbat » Thu May 01, 2008 10:50 pm

My mum died
recently from dementia, months after my dad died from cancer. I work in the NHS. It seems that as a society we are prepared to discuss the suffering of animals in their last days and how to alleviate it, but if you are human, tough xxxx you must die in agony.
daftbat
New In Town

Next

Return to Our Pets