I am starting to worry about my dog

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

Re: I am starting to worry about my dog

Postby cushty » Thu May 01, 2008 10:58 pm

that's hard on you, daftbat

I suppose the difference is that our animals mostly stay with us in their last days up until their end

but of course many of them too die horribly neglected and unloved, due to a human's cruelty

ok's Alfie has been fortunate enough to be cherished to the last
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby Sascha » Thu May 01, 2008 11:27 pm

I have a 14 yr old terrier who started showing those symptoms before last Xmas, he has been fine since February.
He has Cushings disease, (the adrenal glands on the kidneys pump out too much cortisone) His symptoms were exactly as you describe.

He is now on one capsule of Vetoryl a day, and until March did need tests every 4 weeks.

He's fine
Sascha
New In Town

Postby okwithmydecay » Fri May 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks for all your very kind words.

Took Alfie to the vets and had the Decision took out of my hands, by the vet. She looked at him and could tell he was a old dog, Told her about him not having a poo since sunday so she gave him a quick check . She said he had a hernia and her opinion was to put him down, cos it was a big operation and he was a old dog.

So that is it. I must say yes it is sad but they is a lot of relief also. I am feeling quite happy cos he had a good life, and do feel it was his time to go, I know this just by seeing how he was at the end.

Again thanks for all your kind words xxxxx.

PS I still have 2 young cats to look after. I could never live in a petless house :D
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby cushty » Fri May 02, 2008 2:44 pm

I'm so glad for you that you did not have to decide - there is nothing worse than being made to feel guilty

vets are usually keen to carry out expensive procedures, so you can be sure your vet was being honest with you

R.I.P Alfie
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby saloongirl » Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss. He is at peace now and putting him out of his misery was the final kindest ct you could do for him. I have a dog and 3 cats all around the age of ten and dread the thought that I might lose them all around the same age. I hope you like the following:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
SAVE A HORSE - RIDE A COWBOY
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby okwithmydecay » Fri May 02, 2008 3:10 pm

saloongirl wrote:So sorry to hear of your loss. He is at peace now and putting him out of his misery was the final kindest ct you could do for him. I have a dog and 3 cats all around the age of ten and dread the thought that I might lose them all around the same age. I hope you like the following:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thankyou that was lovely even though I just glanced over it, Will read it fully in a few days. I am trying to keep it together at the mo for the sake of my 2 kids. I am so glad I started this post now, you have all been so kind and it has helped alot. Just shows how powerful a message broad can be, by that I mean talking to people you don't know can make you take a step back and make things clearer. Hope that makes sense, will go now cos I am getting all mushy lol.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby Will » Fri May 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Hello, reading this unfolding in front of me brought back some sad memories, and I am sorry that you are feeling the same now.
Your decision was made quickly which was so much better (although still traumatic) than knowing that the awful day was coming and an appointment had been made and watching the last days and hours tick by.
You have given your dog the final kindness that a pet owner can give to their beloved pet. The price of love is pain but the happy memories will live on. and I'm sure he's still around but you just can't see him.
Will
Will
New In Town

Postby roisin » Thu May 08, 2008 9:03 pm

daftbat wrote:My mum died
recently from dementia, months after my dad died from cancer. I work in the NHS. It seems that as a society we are prepared to discuss the suffering of animals in their last days and how to alleviate it, but if you are human, tough xxxx you must die in agony.

daftbat,
I am sorry for your loss (of both your parents). It must have been torture to have walked through this with your mum AND dad, and to have no way to stop her pain...but I am glad you were there for her, if you understand what I mean.
"Their reluctance to return to Portugal is a clear sign that they are guilty."
roisin
Local Lag

Postby Maeve » Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm

"Satin Ball" recipe for dogs who won't eat

http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html

These recipes may be helpful for dogs that need to gain weight. You would probably want to check with your vet to be sure it's okay to give this to them and to clear any other health problems.
Maeve
Been Cautioned

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Well it has been 2 weeks come friday and I have decided I hate not having a dog in the house, 13 yrs is a long time to have a dog. They is so much I miss so I am thinking about phoning the RSPCA and rehoming. The only thing I will say is I don't want a lab cos that is what Alfie was, that would be to hard. The house seems very strange without a dog even though I have 2 cats. They only want fussed when they decide :lol:
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby smudge » Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 pm

I had a cocker spaniel for 14 years.
It was the little things that got to me when she had gone, no bark after the doorbell rang and no little bundle running to me when I opened the door.
I didn't sleep for weeks as every little noise which I normally would have put down to Smudge moving about woke me and I thought someone was in the house.
I got another dog soon after but, like you, I couldn't get one too similar as it would have been too upsetting.
smudge
New In Town

Postby Maeve » Wed May 14, 2008 4:38 pm

okaywithmydecay ~ I am very sorry your beloved dog has passed on. Thirteen years is a long, long time to share life with a furry friend. From your last post, you are grieving for your loss. I hope the pain of your loss will ease over time, and the good memories of your time with your dog will bring you comfort. I think the idea you have of giving another dog a chance of a good home with you is wonderful-for both you and the dog. Please let us know how you are doing and if you decide to adopt another dog, I would like very much for you to tell us about him/her. ((hugs)).
Maeve
Been Cautioned

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 14, 2008 4:43 pm

Maeve wrote:okaywithmydecay ~ I am very sorry your beloved dog has passed on. Thirteen years is a long, long time to share life with a furry friend. From your last post, you are grieving for your loss. I hope the pain of your loss will ease over time, and the good memories of your time with your dog will bring you comfort. I think the idea you have of giving another dog a chance of a good home with you is wonderful-for both you and the dog. Please let us know how you are doing and if you decide to adopt another dog, I would like very much for you to tell us about him/her. ((hugs)).

Thanks I will keep you updated. Still going to wait a few more weeks but think rehoming is a very good idea. I love dogs and all my life have had dogs. The thing about rehoming also is I can get a dog that will take to my cats (I love cats also :lol: ).
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 14, 2008 4:48 pm

smudge wrote:I had a cocker spaniel for 14 years.
It was the little things that got to me when she had gone, no bark after the doorbell rang and no little bundle running to me when I opened the door.
I didn't sleep for weeks as every little noise which I normally would have put down to Smudge moving about woke me and I thought someone was in the house.
I got another dog soon after but, like you, I couldn't get one too similar as it would have been too upsetting.

I know what you are saying about the little things. Going out and being able to leave every door open also cooking meat with a big bone in and having to put the bone in the bin. You never know how hard it is when a dog or cat has been in your life for so long and then there are gone. I even miss getting the poo up in the garden and telling him off everytime I come home with shopping and he wants to play, but I just want a sit down :lol:
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Previous

Return to Our Pets