please help stop this animal abuse

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

please help stop this animal abuse

Postby lj » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:16 pm

an urgent request: It is not exactly about "pets", but it involves dogs, very unlucky ones. Please sign a petition to stop an artist to starve a dog to death as part of an art exhibition.

Original Spanish text at the end.

Note please that on the blogspot http://guillermohabacucvargas.blogspot.com you will find a lot of English comment, including a sample letter to the Centro Nacional de la Cultura, Costa Rica.

text of the petition:
To: Bienal Centroamerica Honduras 2008

September 14, 2007 – From Del Diario la Naci├│n de Costa Rica

http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2007/septie ... 39344.html

Amidst controversy "la Bienal Costarricense de Artes Visuales (Bienarte) 2007" opened with a strict and small selection of works and awarded six artists who will later represent the country in the "Bienal Centroamerica Hounduras 2008".

The winners in this sixth section of the prestigious modern art exposition were: Errol Barrantes, Guillermo Habacuc Vargas, Oscar Figueroa, Mimiam Hsu, Esteban Piedra y "La banda de los sumergidos-emergentes" (Sila Chanto y Jhafis Quintero).

The jury was composed of Ana Sokoloff (Colombia), Oliver Debroise (M├®xico) y Rodolfo Kronfle Chambers (Ecuador), who chose the winners based on the great quality and excellent choherence between the artists idea and the execution of the piece.

The Bienarte is organized by the Entrepreneurs For The Art.
One of the "Artists" Guillermo Habacuc Vargas http://www.marcaacme.com/blogs/analog/i ... de_habacuc

allows death by starvation of a dog during the event.

It should not be allowed that you could step all over the rights of animals and that this "artist" would pick this dog from the street just to let him die, chained to the wall of a gallery, when he had the opportunity not to do so or even save the dog.

From the blog of Rodrigo Pe├▒alba

http://www.marcaacme.com/blogs/analog/i ... de_habacuc

"As far as I know the dog died of starvation the next day. During the inauguration I found out that the dog was hunted down in the afternoon between aluminum and cardboard houses from a neighborhood in Managua with a name from a saint that Habacuc couldn't remember at the time. 5 boys who helped capture the dog received a bonus of 10 cordobas (the equivalent of about 50 dollar cents) for their help.

During the exhibition a few people asked for the dog's freedom at which the artist denied. The name of the dog was Nativity, who was left to starve to death in sight of everyone, as if the death of a dog was a show in which no one did anything more than applaud or watch disconcertedly. "

We can do nothing for this poor dog but we can try to make the organizers of the Biannual Centroamerican Honduras 2008 deny admission to this "artist" who abuses animals. I beg you to join in this petition and that you spread the word as much as you can about this disgusting act, as to get as many signatures as you can to ban him from the Biannual.

Sincerely,

http://www.petitiononline.com/13031953/petition.html

I left the orginal Spanish message here: In short this "artist" states that killing a dog is art. It even got him invited to a prestigeous art exhibit.

For more information (if you have the stomach, I got really sick) go to

http://guillermohabacucvargas.blogspot.com/

and please sign the petition to stop this cruelty at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/13031953/petition.html

Please forward this. I believe that people from all over the world can make a difference!!

Nelly Shea

En el año 2007, Guillermo Vargas Habacuc, un 'supuesto artista', cogió a un perro abandonado de la calle, lo ató a una cuerda cortísima en la pared de una galería de arte y lo dejó allí para que muriera lentamente de hambre y sed. Durante varios días, tanto el autor de semejante crueldad como los visitantes de la galería de arte presenciaron impasibles la agonía del pobre animal, hasta que finalmente murió de inanición, seguramente tras haber pasado por un doloroso, absurdo e incomprensible calvario.

Pero eso no es todo: la prestigiosa Bienal Centroamericana de Arte decidi├│, incomprensiblemente, que la salvajada que acababa de cometer este sujeto era arte, y de este modo tan incomprensible Guillermo Vargas Habacuc ha sido invitado a repetir su cruel acci├│n en dicha Bienal en 2008.

¡¡IMPIDÁMOSLO!! !

Firma aquí

http://www.petitiononline.com:80/13031953/petition.html

No hay que pagar, ni registrarse, ni nada peligroso, y merece la pena. Para enviar una petición y que este hombre no sea felicitado ni llamado 'artista' por tan cruel acto, por semejante insensibilidad y disfrute con el dolor ajeno. Es muy fácil, se tarda 10 segundos y es seguro, si perdemos el tiempo reenviando tonterías que nadie se cree, bien podemos dedicar un poco de ese tiempo a intentar evitar que otro animal inocente sufra la crueldad de este, y otros, sádico y repugnante 'ser humano':

Si pones el nombre del 'artista' en Google salen las fotos de este pobre animal, y seguramente tambi├®n te saldr├ín p├íginas web donde podr├ís contrastarlo y ver que es verdad.
*Soon, very soon the world will know the "Truth about the Lie" and "we will gain truth and justice for a little girl who has no voice", dead on the evening of May 3rd at apartment 5A, Ocean Club, Praia da Luz, Algarve, Portugal"*
lj
Local Lag

Re: please help stop this animal abuse

Postby MoeSzyslak » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:20 pm

That's truly despicable. I can't believe he hasn't been arrested. At least there are over a million signatures on the petition.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby ejm » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 am

This has been around for a while. It is truly dispicable. I signed the first time, but I have heard that he wants to do it again :cry:
ejm
Local Lag

Postby Morg » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:32 pm

How vile is the concept? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Signed gladly.
Morg
First Time Offender

Postby 2shy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:02 pm

DOes that awful country not have any animal rights groups or an RSPCA type charity??How can hmans stand by and watch such evilness and suffering.
2shy
New In Town

Postby Mez » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 pm

Disgusting, signed.
Mez
New In Town

Postby perrito » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:58 pm

I signed this petition quite some time ago, when I first read about it in fact. I agree with you all, it is despicable and the man should be tarred and feathered and thrown off a cliff.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby MoeSzyslak » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:00 pm

I can't understand why this "artist" is not in jail. Suffering for your art is fine as long as it's your choice. Innocent victims are another story.
I've read about artists who use their own blood to paint, and things like that. And, even though that could be considered gross, it's something that person decided to do to themselves. Abusing animals is beyond contempt.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby MoeSzyslak » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:01 pm

perrito wrote:I signed this petition quite some time ago, when I first read about it in fact. I agree with you all, it is despicable and the man should be tarred and feathered and thrown off a cliff.

Yeah, if that guy were tarred and feathered and thrown off a cliff, the perpetrator could claim it was all in the name of art. :wink:
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby perrito » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:03 pm

I will be quite willing to do the pushing, no worries.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby MoeSzyslak » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:06 pm

perrito wrote:I will be quite willing to do the pushing, no worries.

Fair enough! :mrgreen:
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby jkh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Signed. I cannot abide any form of abuse, especially to children or animals - the most innocent beings on our planet.
jkh
Suspect

Postby bonnybraes1 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 pm

Why did none of the onlookers just step in, smack the artist one and walk off with the dog instead of watching? That would have made a much more interesting tableau than any number of signatures.
bonnybraes1

Postby lj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:25 pm

2shy wrote:DOes that awful country not have any animal rights groups or an RSPCA type charity??How can hmans stand by and watch such evilness and suffering.

I don't know about Costa Rica or Nicaragua. I assume there must have been a reason to use a dog from Nicaragua in a exposition in Costa Rica.

I know that in Mexico many states have accepted anti animal abuse laws. The problem is to enforce them. As I understand it after the State every city also have to accept it and many refuse. Don't ask me why, it's as much a human health issue as animal health. If ever there are actions it is round them up with those electrical poles (believe me or not but the "charitable" rotary club donated several to the city of Matamoros) and kill them all. Of course that does not change the problem, a year later the city is full of strays again and they all have mange (the contagious form). More and more animal rescue are formed, but it swimming upstream. I work with one Mexican rescue. The website is being updated at the moment, I'll post a link later.
*Soon, very soon the world will know the "Truth about the Lie" and "we will gain truth and justice for a little girl who has no voice", dead on the evening of May 3rd at apartment 5A, Ocean Club, Praia da Luz, Algarve, Portugal"*
lj
Local Lag

Postby lj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:30 pm

bonnybraes1 wrote:Why did none of the onlookers just step in, smack the artist one and walk off with the dog instead of watching? That would have made a much more interesting tableau than any number of signatures.

Bonny, several at least asked for the dog's freedom. He used exactly that as an argument for his defense: that people who would not even look at the dog in the street are now all indignant. Which is probably true but does not justify his act.

I want to thank you all for signing. Animal rights groups in latin America have a very difficult task and are still batteling for very basic values. Anything done helps. Every single little action
lj
Local Lag

Next

Return to Our Pets