My Dog Has Got a Sore Leg Pit

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

My Dog Has Got a Sore Leg Pit

Postby Snowleopard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:57 pm

My labrador dog has been scratching and made his front leg pit sore and red. It looks a bit scabby. I have bathed it, dried it and put Savlon on. He is leaving it alone at the moment. Does anyone know if I am doing the right thing and if it is likely to heal up on its own, or should I take him to the quacks? He is 9 years and always been OK up to now.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Re: My Dog Has Got a Sore Leg Pit

Postby Snowleopard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks very much for your advice bb2002. I think you are right really and should see the vet. I think I will keep bathing it morning and night for a couple of days and if it doesn't improve I will take him for some treatment. I know he hasn't got fleas but it is a moist area and if he has got wet when he has been outside and not got dried off he could just be harbouring a fungal type infection under there. He's not been very active lately with the cold damp weather, he would rather laze about and sleep. He is healthy apart from this sore but lazy and hates rain. Thanks again for being so prompt with your answer.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby Snowleopard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Oh he is so greedy as well. I do measure his food though otherwise he would get very obese and he is just right at the moment. Although hubby has just given him a left over turkey drummer for his supper. He is one spoilt, pooch alright. You made me laugh when you said about the umbrella over the dog when going for her toileting :) . Got to log off now, getting tired,Night Night.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby perrito » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 pm

If your dog's leg doesn't heal quickly do take him to the vet. He may have got a seed, a prickle or something in it that has burrowed into the skin. We had a similar problem with our old Labrador, he got a seed of something that went under the skin, ended up having to have an operation on his leg to remove it.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby perrito » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:42 pm

bb2002 wrote:
perrito wrote:If your dog's leg doesn't heal quickly do take him to the vet. He may have got a seed, a prickle or something in it that has burrowed into the skin. We had a similar problem with our old Labrador, he got a seed of something that went under the skin, ended up having to have an operation on his leg to remove it.

:shock: Gosh perrito! I hoping you meant the seed and NOT the leg!!! :D

:D bb I did mean the seed, but there were times I threatened to chop all four of his legs off :lol:

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby Snowleopard » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks for your replies Perrito and bb2002. An update this morning, he has been scratching badly. I have had a look and bathed it but it looks very angry. I can't take him today because I have a health appointment myself so he will go tommorrow and get checked out. He has had his morning dish of tea also and is eating as per usual. He takes his feeding bowl down the garden to the bird table and begs the birds to put some bread in it, bless. :roll:
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby perrito » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:55 pm

I'm glad you are going to take him the vet snowleopard, I hope everything goes well for you both.

perrito

Postby Snowleopard » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:18 pm

Just an update on my dogs sores. I took him to the vets this morning and it turns out he has got contact dermatitis. He has given us some anti-biotics and cream. We think it has been caused because a while ago we used shake and vac, although we have stopped using it about 3 weeks ago, it can stay in your carpet for 3 months. We never usually use it, but over the winter with the dog being in more, the carpet was getting ready for a shampoo and a freshen up so we used the shake and vac as a quick fix.

Well that has cost us £40 in vet fees and a poorly dog. The sore areas are indeed in all the areas were he lies, arms pits, groin and chest. So we have laid a sheet down on the main area of floor to prevent him lying on the carpet and we will have to keep hoovering till it all eventually gets removed. I didn't realise this stuff could cause such problems but as soon as the vet said he has been in contact with something unusual we deduced it was the shake and vac.

We had to put a muzzle on him in the vets because he can be a bit of a bad tempered sod when he is scared and being messed about with. He growled and huffed and puffed like a bull but at least it kept the vet safe from a nasty nip.

Anyway, thanks for all your interest. :) Bye for now.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby celticcarla » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi, ive a dog called kip a 19mth old australin koolie (german koolie bred with kelpie) he my everything, lying at my feet right now and reckons he knows what happened to maddie.

About your dogs ails it sound like something kip had a couple of months ago, its grass seed, i know unbelievable, but grass seeds are well known to get into dogs skin nder fur and cause the exact symptoms. kip had his patch of leg red raw and xxxxxxxx and it freaked me out because hes not neurotic by any stance. the vet can help you get rid of it. i had to douse poor kip with part kerosine and water i know harsh (1/24 kero and rest warm water and it seemed to fix it. It made me cry to see him like that but he couldnt leave it alone. have you had rain then heat/humidity this seems to have caused it here. I might add weve been rained out beyond belief in sydney and i think ive grown gills ready to float down the creek to sydney harbour should arrive in uk about 4mths time. seriously though this does sound exactly like a grass seed in his skin, darn thing will try to grow on the humidity of his body heat and fur and he just wants it out. poor baby. it needs to come out though and anything you do to relieve the irritation isnt going to do that. pop off to vet or get tweezers and magnigying glass and do it yourself. ive not the heart or steady hand. good luck and lots of love to poor pup. :(
"We have a pact. This is our matter only. It is nobody else's business", says David Payne.
Gonçalo Amaral promises to clarify "all the lies created"
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Return to Our Pets