Barking Mad

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

Barking Mad

Postby Elifun » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:01 pm

I feel really p***** of at the moment. Moved to a new area mostly it seems populated with old people and their lap dogs and everytime people/dogs walk past they bark at them. This has resulted in me being reported to the RSPCA twice and I have found out today that one of my neighbours is going round trying to find out who else doesn't like them so he can 'do something about it' so I am told. They didn't do it at the old house and I think it was because there was more of a frontage to the property and the dogs didn't feel threatened. The rest of the time they are as good as gold, its like they only bark to alert you, or in the case of the poodle because I think they would like to rip its head of, in fact I always know when the poodle is coming because they go mental and even turn on each other.

How can I stop them barking at people and dogs walking past. Any doggy experts on here.

Also I would love to post a picture of them but don't know how.
Elifun
Suspect

Re: Barking Mad

Postby perrito » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:56 pm

some help here re posting photos Elifun.

http://the3arguidos.makeforum.org/posti ... s-t19.html

If you need more help just ask.

You don't say what kind of dogs you have but maybe if you ask at your vet surgery they can point you in the direction of dog training classes or something.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby Mr.Shifter » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Have you tried some of the citronella collars that give off a scent whenever the dog barks - they worked for me on a random barker. I hired it from the Vet as they're quite expensive.

I then moved on to one that gave off a high pitched squeal - that was about 3 years ago. All I do now is wave the collar and she's ducking for cover :mrgreen:

As I say, they worked for me.
Mr.Shifter
Suspect

Postby bjr » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Mr.Shifter wrote:Have you tried some of the citronella collars that give off a scent whenever the dog barks - they worked for me on a random barker. I hired it from the Vet as they're quite expensive.

I then moved on to one that gave off a high pitched squeal - that was about 3 years ago. All I do now is wave the collar and she's ducking for cover :mrgreen:

We bought one of those Mr.Shifter, £165, to try and stop our dog barking, it was remote control and we could zap him from anywhere when he started barking, he learnt to bark through the zaps, but he smelt lovely. Well that was until he jumped into the fish pond with it on and it hasn't worked since. :lol: :lol: :lol:
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby ejm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:16 am

Have you thought about clicker training. It really is quite easy and the dogs seem to really pick it up quite quickly.

Get yourself a clicker (a couple of quid), some really tasty treats (cheese, chicken, liver etc), wait until they are barking. As soon as they stop (the absolute second), say "quiet", click and treat. It has to be instantaneous. Keep practising with this. Your dogs will associate the word "quiet" and stopping barking with a tasty treat.

Once you have got a reliable, "quiet", click & treat, you can start to drop the click. As you keep doing it, you can then drop the treats occasionally. Your dogs will still repsond in the anticipation that they MAY get a treat. Ultimately, you will get to the point, where you can just say "quiet" and they will stop barking.

It may take a couple of weeks, but really is a useful command for lots of situations. Make the training fun and you will be amazed at the results.
ejm
Local Lag

Postby Elifun » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:42 am

Thank you for your posts, I am going to start with the cheapest option (the clicker) and see how it goes . Thanks again.
Elifun
Suspect

Postby janz1956 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:15 pm

bjr wrote:
Mr.Shifter wrote:Have you tried some of the citronella collars that give off a scent whenever the dog barks - they worked for me on a random barker. I hired it from the Vet as they're quite expensive.

We bought one of those Mr.Shifter, £165, to try and stop our dog barking, it was remote control and we could zap him from anywhere when he started barking, he learnt to bark through the zaps, but he smelt lovely. Well that was until he jumped into the fish pond with it on and it hasn't worked since. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My daughter also bought one of these, and her dog totally ignored the zaps after one day......she carried on trying and realised he actually quite enjoyed the `shocks` and barked even more so he got more of them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Day 329: 27/03/2008..........
Kate and I arrived back from Washington yesterday."
-----------------------------------------
Pity it wasnt Portugal. Go answer the bl**dy questions, She was your baby, remember?
janz1956
Global Moderator

Postby Rimlessuk » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:37 pm

My two like to bark at other dogs when they're being walked together. But if we take them on seperate walks (me going one way - my hubby the other)they can be distracted if they even look like they're going to bark. It's so much easier taking them out seperately as there's no competition to see who can get to the park first :D
Rimlessuk
New In Town

Return to Our Pets