Natural remedies for doggy arthritis?

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

Natural remedies for doggy arthritis?

Postby saloongirl » Mon May 19, 2008 10:20 am

I have a 10yr old rottweiler/labrador cross who is starting to get a bit stiff when he first gets out of his bed (he seems fine once he gets going).

His dry food already has added glucosamine and msm, and I give him carrot, cauliflower, broccoli too (tho this prob only gives him added vitamins and wouldn't give any extra benefit to his joints ), but I was wondering if anyone knows of any additional things I can give him or do for him? I would rather try and alleviate it through diet and natural products if I can.

Any advice you could give poor old Muffin would be greatly appreciated. (We got him from Dogs Trust 3 years ago and he's wonderful!! Sorry just had to add that!)
SAVE A HORSE - RIDE A COWBOY
saloongirl
Suspect

Re: Natural remedies for doggy arthritis?

Postby Tutti » Mon May 19, 2008 10:47 am

RHUS TOX 6c Homeopathic remedy is what iused with very good results for my ageing doggy.. hope this helps.x
I Survived The Harold Shipman Clinic!
Tutti
You're Nicked

Postby MoeSzyslak » Mon May 19, 2008 10:52 am

Brewer's yeast tablets. Very very cheap. I used them for my dogs for skin disorders and as a natural flea repellant! I also noticed how much more active the older dog became. It's good for their joints. I would just add it to their food, and they never noticed.

Here is a page that mentions brewer's yeast, and a chart of other possible remedies:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=81

Hope that helps.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby saloongirl » Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 am

Thank you for your replies. I shall try your suggestions.
SAVE A HORSE - RIDE A COWBOY
saloongirl
Suspect

Postby MoeSzyslak » Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 am

Hope you can find something that works for your pooch. Good luck. :D
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby sina » Mon May 19, 2008 11:34 am

Oh thanks so much for this thread and all your replies....just in time!

My parent's doggy (=my step-doggy) has just been diagnosed with arthritis. He is still VERY active for a dog of 15 (!!) but had two episodes when he couldn't move. Each time he was fine after an injection within hours - thanks god!

However, it would be good to have something that helps him continuously and that is natural. Thanks again! This forum is amazing!! :bounce:
sina
First Time Offender

Postby Torti » Mon May 19, 2008 2:57 pm

I had a large (100 lb, not overweight, just big) German Shepherd female who developed arthritis in her hips and lower back. She got to the point that she would struggle to get to her feet. My vet told me to give her one 5 grain aspirin tablet a day, no more, and this seemed to help considerably. She was 15 when she left us, still wanting to go for her daily walks around the park and pond. I miss her as she was one of my "nannies" when I was raising children.

She developed cataracts and was almost totally deaf, but would still follow the kids around, minding them and tattling to me when they were up to something that she didn't think they should be.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby NeverPebbles » Mon May 19, 2008 5:33 pm

A question for Tutti about RHUS TOX 6c Homeopathic remedy:

I see it comes in drop form - do you give it on a regular basis or only when the dog seems to be having difficulties?

I'm already giving my small pooch Glucosamine/choindrotin/sulphate but am looking for something to relieve the pain.
'They've taken her!'
Who, Kate? Who 'took' your daughter?
NeverPebbles
On Parole

Return to Our Pets