Staffy No 3

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

Staffy No 3

Postby madison » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:20 pm

We have 2 staffies who are now nearly 9. Just before Christmas a friend rang to say some Staffy puppies were in need of a home. We live in France and the French, unfortunately, think that Staffies are pit bulls so will not entertain having one.We spent the whole of Christmas coming up with reasons not to go and get one. Yes, you have guessed right, between Christmas and New Year we became the proud owners of an 11 week old puppy. It was really hairy at first. We did not name the poor little thing for 3 days in case she had to go back.Our other two are sisters from the same litter so have a really good bond.To say the new addition did not go down well would be an under statement. Brindie dribbled every time she looked at her which was really disconcerting as we were not sure if she thought it was a delicacy for dinner.I am pleased to say two weeks on things have turned out really well. The older two certainly put her in her place now and then but are really good with her. They are getting on really well. It is a good job really as I dont know how we could have faced taking her back.We have called her Flossie which seams to suit her really well. I am still working out how to post pics.
madison
New In Town

Re: Staffy No 3

Postby perrito » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

hola Madison

I think perhaps the easiest way to post pictures is from photo bucket, at least it is for me.

It's a free facility. http://www.photobucket.com

Just follow the instructions and you will do just fine. The one thing to watch when you have your photos on the site and you want to post one here, or elsewhere, is to ensure that you copy the bottom line under your photo on photobucket, it must start with ing and finish with ing, then you come back here, click edit then paste and once you click submit your photo should appear.

good luck and I look forward to seeing your photos.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby CaptnMorgan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi madison!! I can't wait to see pictures!!! The new addition sounds super cute!!
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby madison » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:36 am

Yes super cute is right. Unfortunately also super naughty. She is completely fearless.Madison and Brindie are a bit bewildered by her still. I promise to get to grips with the pic posting. This French computer makes things really difficult especially when there is some one like me trying to make sense of it.
madison
New In Town

Postby bjr » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:41 am

There you go Madison, Rep, posted this and this helped me a lot, to get my pictures up

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby madison » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks Perrito and bjr. I will have a go at posting the pics.
madison
New In Town

Postby madison » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:05 am

An update if anyone is interested. Our house has now become a playground. This is mainly due to the fact that Brindie has now decided she is a puppy again.Madison still very disdainful and aloof but tolerates all the running about. Flossie and Brindie are now inseperable. They spend all the time running, jumping, charging about and play fighting. Thank heavens the weather here has been fantastic and we are able to let them in to the garden. Still not managed to post any pics but I am working on it.
madison
New In Town

Postby CaptnMorgan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:38 pm

Madison, I'm so glad the new little one is getting along so well. Now, where are those pictures?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby BigTone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:10 pm

bb2002 wrote:Awwww, photos please!!!!! :bounce:

Im a staffy fanatic :mrgreen: Once a staffy owner, always a staffy owner, dont you think? Id be very interested in how things are with your 3, I would love to have another one (Ive got 2) but one of mine is fear aggresive with other dogs and I know she wouldnt ever accept another dog into the family :(

You must post pics though..theres nothing cuter than a staffy puppy :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: and I can imagine how your home has turned into a playground!! :lol:

Ive just come back from a disasterous walk, which Im going to post about once Ive calmed down a bit :evil: , but lets just say that the air was blue and my language was far from ladylike to another dog-walker :oops: :roll:

I have been there, its so fustrating, but they get such bad press.

For the uninformed -

One of only two breeds named as 'Good with Children' in their breed standard by the UK Kennel Club from over 190 breeds.

The ONLY breed that has 'Totally Reliable' in it's breed standard.
"...they felt that their system of child checking that they were operating with their friends was better than the baby listening service that was on offer at the resort..." - Clarence Mitchell

Leave No Stomach Unturned.......
BigTone
Suspect

Postby BigTone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:11 pm

madison wrote:We have 2 staffies who are now nearly 9. Just before Christmas a friend rang to say some Staffy puppies were in need of a home. We live in France and the French, unfortunately, think that Staffies are pit bulls so will not entertain having one.We spent the whole of Christmas coming up with reasons not to go and get one. Yes, you have guessed right, between Christmas and New Year we became the proud owners of an 11 week old puppy. It was really hairy at first. We did not name the poor little thing for 3 days in case she had to go back.Our other two are sisters from the same litter so have a really good bond.To say the new addition did not go down well would be an under statement. Brindie dribbled every time she looked at her which was really disconcerting as we were not sure if she thought it was a delicacy for dinner.I am pleased to say two weeks on things have turned out really well. The older two certainly put her in her place now and then but are really good with her. They are getting on really well. It is a good job really as I dont know how we could have faced taking her back.We have called her Flossie which seams to suit her really well. I am still working out how to post pics.

Madison, We are going to Normandy on holiday this year and are taking our Staff with us. Do you think we will have any problems ?
"...they felt that their system of child checking that they were operating with their friends was better than the baby listening service that was on offer at the resort..." - Clarence Mitchell

Leave No Stomach Unturned.......
BigTone
Suspect

Postby madison » Mon May 05, 2008 10:15 am

Sorry Big Tone, only just found your post. I do not think you will have much trouble. I would keep your dog on a lead though.The odd person may ask you if you have a pit bull. Most of the French look a bit quizzical bacause they really do not know the breed. We usually tell people they are like 'petite bulldogs'. Saying that, I must point out that I live in rural France where there are not any tourists. HOpe you enjoy your holiday.
madison
New In Town

Postby smudge » Mon May 05, 2008 10:39 am

People often cross the road when they see my Staffy cross (not sure what she's crossed with but after seeing her jump a 6 foot fence I think it may be kangaroo).
We never let her off the lead as she doesn't like other dogs and isn't very obedient (she was a stray and we adopted her at about 3 yrs old so lots of bad habits to break but we are working on it) so it really gets me mad when a loose dog comes up to us and the owner moans because my dog growls and snaps at it.
Apart from her aggression with other dogs she is an absolute softy and spends most of the day snuggled up to one of the kids or myself and sleeps on my bed at night.
If anyone has any tips on how to stop her pulling on the lead I would be grateful as my arms are now 7 feet long!
smudge
New In Town

Postby justin » Mon May 05, 2008 11:10 am

Smudge, the best way to deal with lead-pulling is to do the following...it takes patience and you have to be consistant, but it does work.

Everytime the lead goes "taut", because the dog is pulling, STOP WALKING straight away. Dont walk on untill the lead is relaxed again. Even if you only take one step, then the dog pulls, STOP. The dog will eventually make the connection between lead-pulling, and not actually getting a walk. You have to do it AS SOON AS the dog pulls, and not take another step untill the lead is slack. Ive used this method, sometimes it took me an hour to walk around the corner :lol: , but patience is the virtue and it really works!

Another good solution is to VERY QUICKLY turn and walk the OTHER way, change direction, everytime the dog pulls. As soon as thelead goes taut, turn around, if it goes taut again, turn around again, just keep changing direction untill the dog isnt sure which way he,ll be walking and will realise he has to keep the lead relaxed and walk beside you..that works too, but be prepared for some funny looks from people :mrgreen:

Of course, there are harnesses and such that help with pulling, but they arnt solving it really. The "Stop-pull" harnesses arnt comfortable for staffys anyway, as they have very fine fur and soft skin behind their front legs, and Ive seen terrible rope burns on one staffy because of these harnesses. A halti or headcollar would be better, if the dog will tolerate them, but my staffy actually worked out how to still pull in a headcollar by stiffening her neck and pulling into the nose=piece :roll:

The first 2 solutions are the best. Good luck :D
justin
Suspect

Postby smudge » Mon May 05, 2008 12:04 pm

Thank you Justin.
We have a normal harness for her but she pulls so much she bleeds so we usually just use her collar. She's a stubborn little thing and if she decides she wants to go a different way she turns and tries to back out of the collar.
I love her to bits though and will try your suggestions.
smudge
New In Town

Return to Our Pets