Neighbours dog kills my new white doves

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

Neighbours dog kills my new white doves

Postby MollFlanders » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:18 am

Just needed to share this with someone. Last week my long awaited anniversary present arrived in the shape of a dove cote and four 6 week old white fantail doves. They were safe, or so I thought, in the cote with a large homing net securely draped over it. Yesterday my neighbours dog came to my garden and destroyed the net and managed to kill all four baby doves on the ground. It is so very sad
Last edited by MollFlanders on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
'The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.' Terry Pratchett
MollFlanders
New In Town

Re: Neighbours dog kills my new white doves

Postby Dove » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:03 am

I really feel for you. As you might have guessed by my name, I keep Doves too.
The homing period is always worrying enough, once I took the homing cage away from the Dovecote I spent days watching the sky for them to return (which they do).
If you ever feel brave enough to get more, I recommend the common English white garden Dove as they aren't so prone to diving towards or being on the ground. Perhaps you can make a homing cage out of wood and wire, they can be quite large and the Doves will be fine. I've got loads of Doves and would gladly let you have some, but I live in the South West so it may be too far away for you.
So sorry again for this awful news, I hope that things turn out better next time as once they're homed, they can soon fly away from dogs and cats, they don't often get caught.
Be that which you would make others.

Amiel
http://dorsetdove.blogspot.com/
Dove
You're Nicked

Postby MollFlanders » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks Dove for those kind words. Even though I had only had my doves for week I had become hugely attached to them and I think it was more the nature of them being killed than anything that has so upset me.

I am hoping to get more at some stage, right now it is all too raw, the net is still hanging on the cote with big torn holes, cannot even bear to go out and sort it out. The dog owners have given me a cheque for the cost of the little doves and I feel sure I will get some more in time. It is a shame that you are so far away it would have been great to have had some of yours, they do come pretty expensive and after working on my husband for 34 years to have some it was such a shock for them to go just like that. Whoosh, gone. Luckily I did not see the bloodied bodies as the dog owner on seeing what had haappened had the decency to clear them away as she thought the shock would be even worse for me.

I think we will look at making a homing cage which would be so much more secure although it looks difficult to do and manage. Can you give me any idea of approx dimensions for four doves? I had the net pegged down and laid with bricks but the tenacious dog eventually tore through the net which was quite a feat as it was a strong pool net .

Thanks again.
'The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.' Terry Pratchett
MollFlanders
New In Town

Postby perrito » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 am

Oh gosh I am so sorry about your doves Moll, that is terrible. I hope you have had words with your neighbour about keeping the dog under control and keeping it off your property. I wish you luck when you get some more and once again sorry that such a horrible thing happened.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby Dove » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:55 pm

I will try to find a link on the computer for a homing cage. I have a neighbour who also made one, we have a triangular Dovecote and we fixed a triangular cage to it, it was mainly wire, but had a wooden flap on a hinge that we could lift to put their food, minerals, water and grit pots into. Be back with information.
Blessings to you, animal lovers are the best people in the world along with all those that care for the vulnerable in society.

Amiel
Dove
You're Nicked

Postby MollFlanders » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Many thanks Dove. Nice to know there are such decent folk around.
MollFlanders
New In Town

Postby RedFury » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Moll - Add me to the list --- so sorry about your doves --- it's so sad that happened ... :(
RedFury
Suspect

Postby Dove » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:54 pm

http://www.rupert-fish.co.uk/interests/ ... Doves.html
I just found this site, it has the net variety, but also one or two ideas for the other cages that you might want to look at.

Amiel
Dove
You're Nicked

Postby MollFlanders » Tue May 06, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks to Dove for all her good advice. My husband made a magnificent Fort Knox style homing run to attach to the dovecote and yesterday I collected my four new doves. They will stay safe and secure in their new home for about six weeks in order to home and then will be let out to fly free. I spent most of yesterday wathcing them and even after a day I can tell them apart and they all have individual characters which inspired their names, so we now have Bully, Hindoo, Lily and Huffy in residence. The unruly dog is being trained by way of an electronic collar but so far it has not been back near our garden. :D
MollFlanders
New In Town

Postby perrito » Tue May 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Good luck with your new Doves Moll, may they have a long, happy and contented life.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Return to Our Pets