Poor Goldie -- RIP

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

Poor Goldie -- RIP

Postby Middlemarch » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:21 am

Hello,
We buried our goldfish yesterday. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous, but she belonged to my young son. We knew nothing about fish when she first arrived last Christmas eve, and we promptly proceeded to nearly kill her. After months of effort to get her back on track, she succumbed to a mysterious illness and has now been buried in the garden. My husband tried not to roll his eyes as he dug the hole.

Here's a recent photo taken to post on a different forum that tried to help us save her.

Day 27 -- Gerry's Blog:
"Today has gone as well as we could possibly imagine."
Middlemarch
Suspect

Postby chimaera » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Ah, poor Goldie. :(
My fish died when I put it in my pocket and took it to school. Well, I was only 6 at the time!
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby ejm » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:34 pm

Swim free Goldie x

We have one that is 9. I think he is going to outlive us all.
ejm
Local Lag

Postby 8955PP » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:16 pm

MaitreDuFromage wrote:I had a goldfish when I was a child that lasted a very very long time. Any other fish that went into his tank promptly died after a few weeks of that fungal infection that kills their breathing ability.

I came back from University to find the tank empty and him gone and the cat suspiciously fatter.

LOL!
8955PP
Suspect

Postby 8955PP » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:20 pm

May you RIP Goldie!

I had all sorts of fish when I was lil. I didn't know how to take care of them, and my mom didn't care either.
They usually lasted for 2 weeks top. I feel sorry for them now.
It's now dogs and cats only for me :D
8955PP
Suspect

Postby bjr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm

I have a pond full of koi carp. One £3.50 fish has cost me over two grand in filters, liners, pumps, water lillies, plants and the need to keep digging the pond out. They are now classed as my retirement fund. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bjr

Postby caterinavallenti » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:06 pm

My Dad had a goldfish that lived for nearly 15 years it was the tiniest fish when we got it and it was called TinyTim but it grew into a monster. My Dad looked after it well, it was a bit strange it wasnt in the corner when we came to visit when it finally died.
caterinavallenti
Suspect

Postby Mr.Shifter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:09 pm

[font=Arial]R I P Goldie

OMG I didn't realise Goldfish lived for so long :shock: [/font]
Mr.Shifter
Suspect

Postby bonnybraes1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:28 pm

My Dad always had goldfish in his pond. They lived for years- just sort of hibernated at the bottom during the winter. Unfortunately, the pond was invaded by giant diving beetles, and the fish were wiped out.
bonnybraes1

Postby Middlemarch » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:28 am

bjr wrote:I have a pond full of koi carp. One £3.50 fish has cost me over two grand in filters, liners, pumps, water lillies, plants and the need to keep digging the pond out. They are now classed as my retirement fund. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need to show my husband this -- he has commented on the amount of money that has gone into this not very expensive fish. I keep explaining (justifying!) it by explaining that perhaps it's best to sort it all out now, just in case we ever do have a pond with really expensive fish!

I'm thinking of going tropical now, and am just trying to figure out exactly what we want before I fill up the tank again, and it gets too heavy to move (it's 60 litres).
Day 27 -- Gerry's Blog:
"Today has gone as well as we could possibly imagine."
Middlemarch
Suspect

Postby CaptnMorgan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:08 pm

RIP little Goldie. I'm sorry for your little son.

I didn't know goldfish lived that long either. WOW!!!! Who said 15 years???? I really didn't know that :shock:
Justice for Madeleine
CaptnMorgan

Postby bjr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:10 pm

CaptnMorgan we have koi carp and we have been told that they can go on for about seventy years, if someone gets through the post a note and a fish, just remember it could be one of mine, given to you as an inheritance
bjr

Re: Poor Goldie -- RIP

Postby Geko » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:57 pm

When i was small we had a goldfish for about 3 years, one morning he had jumped out of his tank and was lying on the worktop not moving. My dad picked him up, got a straw and gave him mouth to mouth and rubbed some brandy on his lips. He was then popped back in his tank and after a few mins was swimming around. Just when we thought it was all over, amazing.
Geko
Local Lag

Re: Poor Goldie -- RIP

Postby perrito » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Lots of fish in our pond here, they keep breeding..........you can have as many free as you like but you have to collect from Spain :lol:
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Return to Our Pets