Portugal residents, please

Madeleine Beth McCann went missing from PDL in Portugal on the 3rd May 2007, there are so many unanswered questions, please discuss

Portugal residents, please

Postby pear » Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Fenugreek seems to think that the "4 people" include the McCanns. I've tried to check what the note from the Attorney General office actually said, and all I found was this:

"Four people whom the authorities wanted to participate in a reconstruction of the events on the night of her disappearance, have refused to attend, Ana Lima of the prosecutor general's office said late Tuesday."

from the Agence France Press:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jeZ ... UOhawSoDaw

Lusa adds the bit about 4 friends of the McCann couple but outside the quotation marks, and then goes on to quote Clarrie

"A reconstituição dos factos relativos ao desaparecimento da criança inglesa Madeleine McCann, marcada para quinta e sexta-feira, foi anulada devido à falta de quatro dos intervenientes, informou hoje a Procuradoria-Geral da República (PGR).

Segundo uma nota da PGR, a dilig├¬ncia foi "dada sem efeito" devido ├á "j├í anunciada n├úo compar├¬ncia" de quatro amigos do casal McCann que se encontravam a passar f├®rias no aldeamento tur├¡stico da Praia da Luz, Algarve, na altura em que a crian├ºa desapareceu, a 03 de Maio de 2007.

Blablabla"

So, for those that live in Portugal, did the spokeswoman of the PGR read anything live mentioning the friends? Did anybody see the bit about the friends as a direct quotation from her?
pear
Hardened Criminal

Re: Portugal residents, please

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 pm

pear wrote:Fenugreek seems to think that the "4 people" include the McCanns.

Fenugreek has no source for this, other than the observation that I haven't seen a convincing source, combined with my gut feeling for how the devious mind of Clarence Mitchell (or rather, the people behind him) works.
Fenugreek
On Parole

Postby pear » Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Fenugreek wrote:
pear wrote:Fenugreek seems to think that the "4 people" include the McCanns.

Fenugreek has no source for this, other than the observation that I haven't seen a convincing source, combined with my gut feeling for how the devious mind of Clarence Mitchell (or rather, the people behind him) works.

I understood that you were just suspicious and, as a matter of fact, very rightly so!

If one ads to it the article in 24Horas, very conveniently published (although the ruling dates from end of april), I'm starting to wonder, too!
pear
Hardened Criminal

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 2:59 pm

pear wrote:If one ads to it the article in 24Horas, very conveniently published (although the ruling dates from end of april), I'm starting to wonder, too!

I did also receive a "communication" from someone I know who has found out that Tanner, O'Brien and the McCanns are currently represented by the same lawyer.
Fenugreek
On Parole

Postby TimH » Fri May 30, 2008 3:02 pm

Fenugreek wrote:
I did also receive a "communication" from someone I know who has found out that Tanner, O'Brien and the McCanns are currently represented by the same lawyer.

Fenugreek, as the Mc's are represented by more than one lawyer, do you have any idea which one?
TimH
Been Cautioned

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 3:04 pm

TimH wrote:Fenugreek, as the Mc's are represented by more than one lawyer, do you have any idea which one?

I don't. The implication is that basically, the four of them are sharing the same legal team. Don't take it as gospel! This is what I was told, for what it's worth.
Fenugreek
On Parole

Postby JillyComeLately » Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Fenugreek wrote:
pear wrote:If one ads to it the article in 24Horas, very conveniently published (although the ruling dates from end of april), I'm starting to wonder, too!

True or not, I can well believe it.
"It is a fact that in the right formation, the lifting power of many wings can achieve twice the distance of any bird flying alone."
JillyComeLately
Mafia Boss

Postby pear » Fri May 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Fenugreek wrote:

If that is true, either it is referring to the same British legal team, or it means that they are not witnesses any longer: article 132 of the Code says that witnesses in a case can't have the same lawyer of arguidos in the same case.
pear
Hardened Criminal

Postby TimH » Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm

As can I, Jilly.

JT/O'B are the most vulnerable, after the Mc's. Without JT, the Mc's have absolutely nothing to back their story of an alleged abductor. No forensics, no other witness statement. Just their word, which we all know is worthless.

The are so vulnerable, I've often wondered how they could afford the lawyers necessary to protect them from the McCann's high-priced leal team! :lol:
TimH
Been Cautioned

Postby kerry » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Wouldn't there be a conflict of interests? Even a husband and wife would need separate lawyers, they may, if charged, not be charged with the same offence .
Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freedom of speech: - Benjamin Franklin
kerry
Been Cautioned

Postby Fenugreek » Fri May 30, 2008 3:18 pm

pear wrote:If that is true, either it is referring to the same British legal team, or it means that they are not witnesses any longer: article 132 of the Code says that witnesses in a case can't have the same lawyer of arguidos in the same case.

British legal team.
Fenugreek
On Parole

Postby TimH » Fri May 30, 2008 3:18 pm

pear...just saw your post. Can't imagine any lawyer could ethically try to defend two sets of clients on the same charges.

In the US, if Kate and Gerry were to be charged, most ethical lawyers would try to split the defense team with one defending her and one him. They would each have their own for their own protection.
TimH
Been Cautioned

Postby Photon » Fri May 30, 2008 3:20 pm

TimH wrote:pear...just saw your post. Can't imagine any lawyer could ethically try to defend two sets of clients on the same charges.

In the US, if Kate and Gerry were to be charged, most ethical lawyers would try to split the defense team with one defending her and one him. They would each have their own for their own protection.

Presumably this is why there are 2 British and 2 Portuguese lawyers?
Truth always seems stranger than fiction, somehow!

Soon, very soon the world will know the "Truth about the Lie" and "we will gain truth and justice for a little girl who has no voice", dead on the evening of May 3rd
Photon
On Parole

Postby miffed » Fri May 30, 2008 3:21 pm

Trying to put Fenugreek's thinking cap on, it would make sense - O'Brien and Tanner are implicated, they would collude with the McCanns to say that none of them will participate. Because these two are critical in the reconstruction process, the PJ will have no choice but to abandon the reconstruction. No point forcing the McCanns, if the the other two won't be there.

It was puzzling - one moment it was four of them, the next day, from Clarence Mitchell, it was all of them that wouldn't participate. I suppose those are the only 'friends' the McCanns have so theoretically, it's not wrong using the term 'all'.
miffed
On Parole

Postby pear » Fri May 30, 2008 3:25 pm

The French version of Agence France Presse is like this:

┬½La reconstitution, pr├®vue les 29 et 30 mai, est sans effet en raison de la non comparution d├®j├á annonc├®e de quatre des personnes convoqu├®es┬╗, a expliqu├® Ana Lima, porte-parole du procureur g├®n├®ral de la R├®publique.

As to the lawyers, I think that there is a humongous legal team (or various legal teams). As the only one that matters at this point in time, from a procedural point of view, is the Portuguese one, I don't see anything strange in them sharing a team specialized in MLA. I suppose it's a very specialized thing.
pear
Hardened Criminal

Next

Return to Justice for Madeleine